The Student Room Group

HELP ME-GCSE Options!!!

Hiyaaa, so im in year 8 and ive got to pick my GCSE Options in like 3 days and i have no idea what to pick. This is the list of options which we have to pick from:
GCSE Art and Design
GCSE Art and Design-Photography
GCSE Computer Science
BTEC Level 2 Dance
GCSE Drama
GCSE Food Preparation and Nutrition
GCSE French
GCSE Geography
BTEC Level 2 Health and Social Care
GCSE History
Cambridge Nationals Certificate in Creative iMedia (ICT)
GCSE Music
GCSE Physical Education
GCSE Resistant Materials
GCSE Product Design
BTEC Construction
So i can pick three of the above choices as well as studying my Core English, Maths and Science. I am interested in becoming either a Nursery or Primary school teacher or doing something which involves the police. PE is one of my favorite subjects and im also quite academic. Can people please suggest some options to take from past experiences etc. Anything would be helpful. Thankyou!!! :smile:
Original post by Meggzxox
Hiyaaa, so im in year 8 and ive got to pick my GCSE Options in like 3 days and i have no idea what to pick. This is the list of options which we have to pick from:
GCSE Art and Design
GCSE Computer Science
BTEC Level 2 Dance
GCSE Drama
GCSE French
GCSE Geography
GCSE History
GCSE Music
GCSE Physical Education
GCSE Resistant Materials
GCSE Product Design
BTEC Construction
So i can pick three of the above choices as well as studying my Core English, Maths and Science. I am interested in becoming either a Nursery or Primary school teacher or doing something which involves the police. PE is one of my favorite subjects and im also quite academic. Can people please suggest some options to take from past experiences etc. Anything would be helpful. Thankyou!!! :smile:

i got my options today but dont know which GCSE to choose to become a pharmacist
Reply 2
If you enjoy PE, make that one of your choices - it's always nice to have a class you really like. :smile:

As for your other choices, it depends on what interests you. primary teaching is actually quite a wide career, so many things fit under its umbrella. History is often seen as a fairly academic subject, so if you have an interest in it, there are worst subjects to take. Having a foreign language may help you personally as well as academically (after all, if you ever go on holiday it can be useful!) and it can be both interesting and challenging (or at least it was when I took GCSE French!)

To be honest, your GCSE subjects won't necessarily help or hinder you too much when you apply for A-Level courses (provided you get decent grades) and often schools will allow you to change courses in the first few weeks if they're not quite what you're after. When you get to University level (if you want to train to be a teacher) their focus will be on your A-Level grades rather than your GCSEs, aside from your English, Maths and Science GCSE grades (which will need to be above a C to teach in England).

I hope this helps!
Original post by *Jet*
If you enjoy PE, make that one of your choices - it's always nice to have a class you really like. :smile:

As for your other choices, it depends on what interests you. primary teaching is actually quite a wide career, so many things fit under its umbrella. History is often seen as a fairly academic subject, so if you have an interest in it, there are worst subjects to take. Having a foreign language may help you personally as well as academically (after all, if you ever go on holiday it can be useful!) and it can be both interesting and challenging (or at least it was when I took GCSE French!)

To be honest, your GCSE subjects won't necessarily help or hinder you too much when you apply for A-Level courses (provided you get decent grades) and often schools will allow you to change courses in the first few weeks if they're not quite what you're after. When you get to University level (if you want to train to be a teacher) their focus will be on your A-Level grades rather than your GCSEs, aside from your English, Maths and Science GCSE grades (which will need to be above a C to teach in England).

I hope this helps!

Helped a lot THANK YOU
GCSE Art and Design
GCSE Computer Science
BTEC Level 2 Dance
GCSE Drama
GCSE French
GCSE Geography
GCSE History
GCSE Music
GCSE Physical Education
GCSE Resistant Materials
GCSE Product Design
BTEC Construction

I got nursery background and if you wanted to take that route make sure you get c grade in your core subjects
Plus others I can recommend are health and social care , gcse ict, gcse art and design, gcse history, gcse food preparation and nutrition...
But ultimately talk to family, and do what your good at already like if your good at French choose that but if your not good at that then don't choose it...

Good luck 😊👊👍
Reply 5
Go with what you think you will enjoy, that's all I can say :smile:

Like the poster above said it doesn't particularly make a major difference towards what you do at A level or further or limit what you can do.
Reply 6
GCSE Art and Design
GCSE Computer Science
BTEC Level 2 Dance
GCSE Drama
GCSE French
GCSE Geography
GCSE History
GCSE Music
GCSE Physical Education
GCSE Resistant Materials
GCSE Product Design
BTEC Construction

French, History and PE
Reply 7
Original post by Abadullah
Helped a lot THANK YOU

Glad I could help.

I suppose the one thing I would say [and there might be people who disagree!] is make sure you have subjects that are relevant to any A-Levels you might want to take (for pharmacy and teaching that's pretty straightforward: English, Science and Maths are the really big ones!) Once you have those down, think about the things you enjoy - you'll be studying these for at least a year or two, so you're going to want to enjoy them as much as you can!

:smile:
Reply 8
Original post by *Jet*

I hope this helps!

This helped alot, cheers :smile:
Reply 9
This helped alot, cheers :smile:

Good luck with making your choices. :smile: I hope you enjoy the subjects you choose!
Reply 10
Original post by jamestg
French, History and PE

Yeah, i was thinking these three,thankyou :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest