The Student Room Group

How to keep my uni room warm?

The radiator is right next to the door so all the heat goes straight out and my desk is next to the window which has a vent that can't be closed. I've put my coat lining the door to try and keep the heat in but I can't think of anything else to actually make the heat go around the room :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

I can't think of a way to heat the room as such but I would 100% recommend getting a 'microwave hottie'. I used to use hot water bottles under my duvet to get my bed warm but I'm so worried of popping them in the night, also they're not particularly nice to hold. My sister got me a jack wills hottie for Christmas and I already had 2 pug ones! They are literally perfect to keep warm and take like 2 minutes to heat up in a microwave.

http://www.newlook.com/shop/womens/gifts/brown-pug-hot-water-bottle-_351470720?extcam=UK_PPC_PLA_3515132_CR_39215888194_DV_c&tmcampid=155&tmad=c&tmplaceref=UK_PPC_PLA_3515132_CR_39215888194_DV_c&gclid=CMGmvpbRrMoCFVXGGwodwToE1g

This is my pug one, they're not overly expensive and literally life savers!!
Reply 2
Original post by AdorableDrip
The radiator is right next to the door so all the heat goes straight out and my desk is next to the window which has a vent that can't be closed. I've put my coat lining the door to try and keep the heat in but I can't think of anything else to actually make the heat go around the room :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

A fan. It will work better than you imagine. Move your desk away from the window?

Posted from TSR Mobile

sausagedog.JPG?

maybe get some warm clothes / thermals on
Reply 4
conduction, convection, radiation:biggrin:
Original post by dhr90
A fan. It will work better than you imagine. Move your desk away from the window?

It's literally a huge desk attached to the wall and wardrobe :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by danr2
conduction, convection, radiation:biggrin:

Umm

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Joinedup
sausagedog.JPG?

maybe get some warm clothes / thermals on

Got my PJ's, and then on top of those jogging bottoms and a hoody and a hot water bottle 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
Invest in a heater fan! It costs around £10 from Asda and it blows hot and cold air which is really useful during winter and summer.
Get a plug in heater
Get a heater for sure, I have one and it works a treat
Reply 11
A heater fan will work very well too. But if you pay your own bills will be expensive to use too, worth working it out of you haven't got much money spare.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A little oil filled radiator under the desk will help. They're usually safer and less energy hungry than fan heaters. Something like http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/4152291.htm

Also some warm slippers (even if you just put your feet in them under the desk).

A scarf and hat will make you feel warmer than a jumper usually. I used to take fingerless gloves into uni in the summer for working in air conditioned labs.

Also it you're in a flat/hall see if there's a rad out in the hallway that isn't switched on.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
Cover the vent with clingfilm or something
Original post by Tom78
Cover the vent with clingfilm or something

Don't do this. If the vent isn't closable that means there's a risk of unhealthy levels of moisture or gases building up. Trickle vents aren't installed for fun they're safety features.
Reply 15
Cover the window with a blanket. I know it sounds silly but I've liver in some super col flats and it helps. Get a fairly light one, mine was standard ikea fleece one, then pin/tape it to the top of the window, as close to the glass as you can. During the day keep it up for the vent an general niceness and at night it won't be so tight that you totally cover the vent. When it's down you might need to attach it at the bottom and middle to not have it too loose

Nothing wrong with sleeping in more too. I have quite thick fleece PJ bottoms from Matalan that are magic, with a vest tucked in then a loose hoody over the top and fluffy socks so it's still all nice feeling to sleep in
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by PQ
Don't do this. If the vent isn't closable that means there's a risk of unhealthy levels of moisture or gases building up. Trickle vents aren't installed for fun they're safety features.

Ah being reckless is what life in halls is all about, disregard safety, every smoke alarm has got a condom over it after all

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well in my first year we got portable space heaters warmed up my room really well.
Original post by PQ
A little oil filled radiator under the desk will help. They're usually safer and less energy hungry than fan heaters. Something like http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/4152291.htm

This fid it in my first year and all subsequent years it worked really well
Reply 19
If you're in Halls, invest in a thermometer and if the temperature is below 16.C, you have grounds to complain. (Although in my experience, communal places like Halls tend to be OVERheated, when I lived in one in 2000-2001 I usually had the window open!

Quick Reply

Latest