The Student Room Group

OPTIONS???

Im in year 9 what options should i choose to become a pharmacist
Geo/ history

sociology/ rs/ applied business/ music/ hospitality and catering/ ict

PE/ art and design/ textiles/ drama/ product design.

and i will choose french
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abadullah

I'm pretty sure you need the sciences and maths for that. Try looking into uni courses and see if they have any other preferences for A level

Double science at least. Triple science if you can. Otherwise choose what you are good at.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ask this user

darkred
x
Reply 4
You should definitely aim to do at least double awards, and at the end of gcses you should focus on getting grades above Bs because pharmacy is very competitive and this will give you an advantage. Also for your options take subjects that you're really good at that are easy because they don't tend to criticise anything. The requirement is at least a B in maths and above c in both English lang/lit.
Reply 5
Original post by Melancholy
Ask this user

when are u gon get it thru that thick head of urs... im NOT doing pharmacy.
Oh?? First time you've told me.
You should already be doing G.C.S.E. science. As others have said, try and do triple if you can, if not oh well. Just pick what you're good at and what you like. You're already what you need.
Original post by cookiemonster15
I'm pretty sure you need the sciences and maths for that. Try looking into uni courses and see if they have any other preferences for A level
Looking at G.C.S.E.s here, not A Levels.
Original post by 04MR17
You should already be doing G.C.S.E. science. As others have said, try and do triple if you can, if not oh well. Just pick what you're good at and what you like. You're already what you need.
Looking at G.C.S.E.s here, not A Levels.

I know, I was just implying that as most uni's state A level preferences, once OP knows which A levels they want, they can take them at GCSE.

Sorry for the confusion
Choose a variety of subjects so if possible at least:
Triple Science
A humanity (hist/geog)
A lang
Ideally something else (eg Computing)
With a variety like this it doesn't narrow any options down if you change your mind about what you want to do but it does show a good candidate assuming you get good grades in the subjects :smile:
HTH
Im in year 9 what options should i choose to become a pharmacist there is
Geo/ history

sociology/ rs/ applied business/ music/ hospitality and catering/ ict

PE/ art and design/ textiles/ drama/ product design.

and i will choose french

To work in Pharmaceuticals the subject needed the most is Chemistry, then preferably another science such as Biology and also Maths. As these subjects are compulsory at GCSE anyway, take whatever subjects you enjoy. When you move onto A Levels, Chemistry, Biology and Maths would be recommended.

Hope this helps :]
Reply 11
Original post by Dapperblook22
To work in Pharmaceuticals the subject needed the most is Chemistry, then preferably another science such as Biology and also Maths. As these subjects are compulsory at GCSE anyway, take whatever subjects you enjoy. When you move onto A Levels, Chemistry, Biology and Maths would be recommended.

Hope this helps :]

Thank u
:smile::smile:
Reply 12
thanks this really helps it tells me what to do and not do :smile:
History has more essay based coursework, but it's seen as a better GCSE.
Sociology is a science so that'd be helpful, and PE could help you understand the human body more.
Although GCSE choices shouldn't have a great effect on future applications, it's the grades you get that matter more.
Reply 14
To be honest, GCSE options don't matter much. Do subjects in which you most likely to get A*s in. As you want to do pharmacy, which requires subjects you are already doing i.e chemistry, biology, physics maths.

GCSE options don't matter much. I want to do medicine but I chose Geography, History Spanish for my GCSE options

At A Level though you should definitely choose Chemistry, Biology, and preferably Physics.

http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/media/5320/informedchoices.pdf

Scroll to page 44 for pharmacy
Hi!
Seeing as you're only choosing for your GCSEs, it's not too important what subjects you pick as long as you get the best grades you can in them. For pharmacy, it's important you have strong results in the sciences/english/maths but it'd also be good to choose other subjects that show you're a well rounded student!

I'd recommend a humanity (if choosing between geography and history, go for whichever one you enjoy most :smile:) but otherwise don't force yourself into subjects you're not interested in or don't think you'll be good at. Play to your strengths and not much can go wrong - once A Levels come around you'll probably be dropping most of the subjects that aren't specifically tailoured to your course choices anyway!

Good luck in your future exams, I hope everything goes well!
Reply 16
Original post by Mayhem™
History has more essay based coursework, but it's seen as a better GCSE.
Sociology is a science so that'd be helpful, and PE could help you understand the human body more.
Although GCSE choices shouldn't have a great effect on future applications, it's the grades you get that matter more.

thank u this really helps me bro:smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Ambersicle
Hi!
Seeing as you're only choosing for your GCSEs, it's not too important what subjects you pick as long as you get the best grades you can in them. For pharmacy, it's important you have strong results in the sciences/english/maths but it'd also be good to choose other subjects that show you're a well rounded student!

I'd recommend a humanity (if choosing between geography and history, go for whichever one you enjoy most :smile:) but otherwise don't force yourself into subjects you're not interested in or don't think you'll be good at. Play to your strengths and not much can go wrong - once A Levels come around you'll probably be dropping most of the subjects that aren't specifically tailoured to your course choices anyway!

Good luck in your future exams, I hope everything goes well!

thank u very much:smile:
Reply 18
Original post by SGHD26716
To be honest, GCSE options don't matter much. Do subjects in which you most likely to get A*s in. As you want to do pharmacy, which requires subjects you are already doing i.e chemistry, biology, physics maths.

GCSE options don't matter much. I want to do medicine but I chose Geography, History Spanish for my GCSE options

At A Level though you should definitely choose Chemistry, Biology, and preferably Physics.

http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/media/5320/informedchoices.pdf

Scroll to page 44 for pharmacy

Reply 19

No problem

Quick Reply

Latest