The Student Room Group

Is it still possible? BBB at AS..to... A*A*A* in Alevels?

Hey,
I wasn't able to study much in AS because of some disturbances and got BBB (chemistry, physics and biology). I know I'm capable of working way harder. I didn't go for resits. I want to know if anyone of u had a similar story and got AAA or A*A*A* in Alevels in the end?? (by getting A grades in all component papers of A2 etc)
my component grades are:
chem: ABC (paper 1, 2 and 3 respectively)
bio: BAB
phy: CAD

PLEASE HELP/
Reply 1
By getting BBB at AS, you are in the exact same position to get A*A*A* as those who got AAA at AS (in terms of how much UMS you need). So yes it is possible.
Reply 2
All i know is my component grades i.e, my grades in paper 1, 2 and 3 respectively.

Original post by h3110
By getting BBB at AS, you are in the exact same position to get A*A*A* as those who got AAA at AS (in terms of how much UMS you need). So yes it is possible.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Is it possible? If i get As in all components of A2?
Original post by Zainabr17
Is it possible? If i get As in all components of A2?

Well you will need 90% UMS in your A2 year for an A*, which is the same as what those who got A grades last year will need

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you want A*A*A* because that is the highest result possible? Are you trying to get into a prestigious university, if so which one and for what subject?

If you got AAB at A2 you should be happy as that is a great start to a career and could get into so many universities with that - along with showing interest and enthusiasm for the subject you want to read. 3 A*s might be putting too much pressure on you, so AAB or AAA and A*AA would be realistic for you to aim at.
Reply 6
A*AA or AAA is also great. But i wanted to know if it's still possible to get straight As...

Original post by Protagoras
Do you want A*A*A* because that is the highest result possible? Are you trying to get into a prestigious university, if so which one and for what subject?

If you got AAB at A2 you should be happy as that is a great start to a career and could get into so many universities with that - along with showing interest and enthusiasm for the subject you want to read. 3 A*s might be putting too much pressure on you, so AAB or AAA and A*AA would be realistic for you to aim at.
Reply 7
And I'm required to get A*AA, to be on the safe side for getting one of the limited seats available.

Original post by Protagoras

Reply 8
But if their UMS in AS was greater than mine?

Original post by Knee Grow
Well you will need 90% UMS in your A2 year for an A*, which is the same as what those who got A grades last year will need

Posted from TSR Mobile
But if their UMS in AS was greater than mine?

The requirements for an A* are 80% across both AS and A2 and 90% in A2 alone. A person with As at AS has a much easier time getting As at A2 but for an A* both you and that person need 90% at A2. So yes, you can get A*s and you should probably start working towards that as soon as possible (if you haven't yet)! Good luck! :smile:
Reply 10
But my UMS in AS must be low since i have BBB 😞
That's such great motivation though. Thank you SO much :smile:
I'm working really hard. Hope the hard work pays off :smile:

Original post by victoria98
The requirements for an A* are 80% across both AS and A2 and 90% in A2 alone. A person with As at AS has a much easier time getting As at A2 but for an A* both you and that person need 90% at A2. So yes, you can get A*s and you should probably start working towards that as soon as possible (if you haven't yet)! Good luck! :smile:
Reply 11

Original post by victoria98
No reason you can't. Take any A* student (predicted 4 A*s), replace their 4 As at AS grade with 4 Bs, they'll still most likely end up with 3 or 4 A*s. The reason you won't get A*s is because you're not used to hard work and you've had a bad foundation.

You dont seem to understand.
You neee 480 UMS for an A* with 270 of the UMS from your A2s. This means it's possible to only have a B at AS and get it.
Reply 14
Oh I get it. So it's actually quiet possible with a lot of hard work :smile:

QUOTE=keromedic;62039811]You dont seem to understand.
You neee 480 UMS for an A* with 270 of the UMS from your A2s. This means it's possible to only have a B at AS and get it.
Reply 15
Working hard isn't a problem since I'm used to it (if the situation allows me to).
This time I've been working harder.
I just heard that it's impossible for me to get A*s or As because of my AS grades. But it's not!
Thanks a lot :smile:

Original post by BioStudentx
No reason you can't. Take any A* student (predicted 4 A*s), replace their 4 As at AS grade with 4 Bs, they'll still most likely end up with 3 or 4 A*s. The reason you won't get A*s is because you're not used to hard work and you've had a bad foundation.
Reply 16
sorry to hijack this thread but im in year 11 and with the new reforms and AS not counting anymore with some subjects, how would you get an A* at the final exam?

Quick Reply

Latest