The Student Room Group

Edexcel IAL Maths - Mechanics 1 - WME01 25 Jan 2016

Hi everyone
I wanted to ask on how to get better in mechanics
any tips?

Scroll to see replies

I know that you have probably heard this before, but past papers and practice questions from the textbook really do help
Original post by TheGiantHogweed
I know that you have probably heard this before, but past papers and practice questions from the textbook really do help

i cant seem to solve them properly like i make soo silly mistakes that make me loose all the marks of that question and i cant seem to manage my time while solving the paper
Reply 3
Moved to maths exams. :-)
Original post by Sumaiyya1999
Hi everyone
I wanted to ask on how to get better in mechanics
any tips?

Which types of question?

I find a LARGE diagram helps - put in all the forces and makr the angles - too many student draw tiny scruffy sketches which are no help.

Use a third of the page to start with - and a ruler -

Is the system in equlibrium in any direction? Resolve forces in that direction - ie a particle sliding down a slope - we need to equate forces perpendicular to the slope.

SUVAT write down u = , v =, s = ,t = , a =

I love teaching mechanics so I'll try to help if you can be more specific.
Original post by Zacken
Moved to maths exams. :-)

Original post by Muttley79
Which types of question?

I find a LARGE diagram helps - put in all the forces and makr the angles - too many student draw tiny scruffy sketches which are no help.

Use a third of the page to start with - and a ruler -

Is the system in equlibrium in any direction? Resolve forces in that direction - ie a particle sliding down a slope - we need to equate forces perpendicular to the slope.

SUVAT write down u = , v =, s = ,t = , a =

I love teaching mechanics so I'll try to help if you can be more specific.

mostly i get confused with the directions in momentum questions.....and i always find the question in vectors which ask thing like find the time when this is north/east/west/south of this....drawing a diagram really does help
mostly i get confused with the directions in momentum questions.....and i always find the question in vectors which ask thing like find the time when this is north/east/west/south of this....drawing a diagram really does help

For momentum questions decide which way is +ve - draw two diagrams - one before the collision with masses and direction of travel [use arrows for direction of travel of each and write the mass under the blob and the velocity on top of the arrow] and a second picture after the collision with the same info.

Vectors like you describe are probably the hardest part of the course.

Post any specific questions you'd like hints for or methods checking.

By the way ALWAYS say what you are doing e,g, 'Moments about A', 'Conservation of momentum gives' - it just helps you focus and stops [or seems to help to stop] silly mistakes.
Reply 8
For momentum questions decide which way is +ve - draw two diagrams - one before the collision with masses and direction of travel [use arrows for direction of travel of each and write the mass under the blob and the velocity on top of the arrow] and a second picture after the collision with the same info.

It'd make more sense to write the mass inside the blob and put the velocity after collision (direction and magnitude via arrows) underneath the blob. At least, that's that I do. Drawing two diagrams is a bit overkill.
Original post by Zacken
It'd make more sense to write the mass inside the blob and put the velocity after collision (direction and magnitude via arrows) underneath the blob. At least, that's that I do. Drawing two diagrams is a bit overkill.

Zacken I'm sure that works for you but be assured that the two diagram approach really works for students.

The blob is a large dot with no inside to write in.

Vectors like you describe are probably the hardest part of the course.

Post any specific questions you'd like hints for or methods checking.

By the way ALWAYS say what you are doing e,g, 'Moments about A', 'Conservation of momentum gives' - it just helps you focus and stops [or seems to help to stop] silly mistakes.

Thank u sooo very much......i will follow ur advise and hope it helps me pass my paper...thnks once again
Thank u sooo very much......i will follow ur advise and hope it helps me pass my paper...thnks once again

There are so many old past papers that you can think about using the early ones for practising e.g. all the collision questions.

Then you can still use the recent papers for whole past paper practice.
There are so many old past papers that you can think about using the early ones for practising e.g. all the collision questions.

Then you can still use the recent papers for whole past paper practice.

I think that is a great idea....thank u very much
Good luck all the math students
May u ace it
So how was the paper guys ??
Reply 15
Fewer questions than usual, so more marks per question, more structure than usual. There wasn't the easy speed-time things with distance between two places, etc... but the paper was fairly standard, no thinking required. There'll be high boundaries.

1. (a) F = 2,200 N
(b) M = 800.
(c) Same acceleration for system/trailer as truck.

2. (a) 7u/10 due east
(b) 6u/5 due east.

3. T=16g53+1\displaystyle T = \frac{16g}{5\sqrt{3} + 1}

4. (a) hmax=10h_max = 10
(b) ttotal=28g2.86\displaystyle t_{\text{total}} = \frac{28}{g} \approx 2.86

5. (a) (i) TA=9410xT_A = 94 - 10x
(ii) TB=66+10xT_B = 66 + 10x
(b) 1x1.81 \leq x \leq 1.8

6. (a) 68=2178.25\sqrt{68} = 2\sqrt{17} \approx 8.25
(b) (5+2t)i + (5t-3)j
(c) (7-3t)i + (5-15t)j
(d) t = 2/5 so time 2:24 PM
(e) 29/5i - j

7 (a) T - g/2 = 2a
(b) 3g - T = 5a
(c) (i) a = 5g/14
(ii) T = 17g/14
(d) d= 17/14 (by letting g=1 in c(ii)).
(edited 8 years ago)
For the 3rd question I accidentally forgot to put brackets for the coefficient of tension. So my answer became T=(16g-1)/5(3)^0.5. F***. I feel suicidal.
How much marks would this cost me?

Original post by azefayuu
For the 3rd question I accidentally forgot to put brackets for the coefficient of tension. So my answer became T=(16g-1)/5(3)^0.5. F***. I feel suicidal.
Reply 18
Original post by azefayuu

Calm down mate, it's a silly mistake, you'll drop a mark or two at most, relax.
Got exactly the same as you Zacken although for the collisions question i got 73/10 to the west for some reason.
Also for the moments question, because it said the strings will break if the tension exceeds 84N, shouldnt it be 1<x<1.8 or am i wrong? How many marks will i lose in total if these are the only mistakes i made?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending