The Student Room Group

The Cricket Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Reply 540
I make that an even day.

What a ridiculous start to proceedings, by the way. Vilas roped in to keep wicket after de Kock got injured walking his dog (he certainly lived up to his name, didn't he?). Shades of McGrath stepping on the ball in 2005! It says a lot that ABDV refused to keep wicket, though. He has no time for standing behind the stumps these days, does he?

Vilas batted extremely well, I felt. Some lovely strokes, which probably came as a result of him being totally comfortable having had such little time to work himself up into a nervous frenzy. He was probably at fault for Bavuma's run-out, in truth. But still, a good performance, though his shot to get dismissed was questionable.

Felt Bairstow had a really good day behind the stumps. Four catches, and a great run out as aforementioned. He is rapidly becoming a very good international keeper, and Finn is equally as good in the bowling ranks. What a performance today. His ball to Amla - who seemed to have a weight lifted from him after enjoying relinquishing the captaincy - was unplayable.

Poor bowling from England, apart from Finn. I felt Broad was definitely struggling. He doesn't seem to have quite shaken off the bug which is making its way through the England ranks, and Anderson seemed a bit slow. Thank God we have Finn, and Stokes, who has a canny knack for getting wickets off poor balls.

I hope Finn gets the new ball whenever possible. A decent couple of innings for England's batsmen, and I reckon they're ahead.
This Test is already tastier than the last one. Hoping for a decent score here.

Jimmy has to take the rough with the smooth here - he's not had the greatest of innings, and it almost looks as if Stokes rubbed it in getting a wicket first ball after coming back into the attack, but one blip does not a man make.
(edited 8 years ago)
Shikhar Dhawan needs to goooooo bring in utthapa or Vijay to open in odi.
India are useless against Australia in Australia. Please India, at least win one match.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lot of cricket going on but I'm following the epic clash of Bangladesh vs Zimbabwe :colondollar:

Zim started fantastically well and were 142/2 after 16 overs (R/R 8.9). Thankfully they only managed 21 runs in their last 4 overs to finish on 163/7.

Pretty poor bowling by Bangladesh with the usually reliable Shakib finishing with an economy of 11.25..
Original post by moment of truth
India are useless against Australia in Australia. Please India, at least win one match.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Looks like Australia should stroll the last remaining runs.
Reply 546
Two early wickets lost for England, first Hales needlessly before Cook follows him. Shame about the latter, too, because I thought he was very shrewd and astute with his bowling changes during the opening session today. He made that vital call to introduce Stokes for the final wicket, but I also felt he was rewarded fell for keeping faith with Broad and Anderson - both of whom made early in-roads into the SA tail with a wicket each.
Original post by Zerforax
Looks like Australia should stroll the last remaining runs.

You (Bangladesh) would probably fare better against Australia than we do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You (Bangladesh) would probably fare better against Australia than we do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not in Australia. Our players generally are even smaller so the bounce in the pitch really affects them.
Reply 549
India really need to start taking their catches.

Dropping Shaun Marsh four times - some of them tough, admittedly - was frankly unforgivable. You just can't allow this Australian ODI side a chance to lay some foundations at the top of the order.

Australia were lucky - but you create your own luck. India's work in the field was so, so poor. It was probably the worst I've seen in six or seven months, to be honest. It was weaker than SL and West Indies' efforts in the field in NZ and Australia respectively, and Pakistan's poor catching against England.

You can't beat Australia when they bat second. Of their last 14 matches when they've chased, they've lost just twice.
It was only a few days ago I was wondering why Chris Lynn wasn't in the Australia side. Now I know..
Reply 551
What a day for Root. He really needed that after recent weeks and innings, where he has failed to convert a score of a half-century, or even 60 or 70, into a ton. It was a fantastic century effort, and he's a heck of a player.

He has completely rescued this Test match - along with Stokes, probably. I love Root. He's my favourite of England's players, and his stroke play is beautiful at times.

Aside from Williamson, he's the best batsman in the world right now. Rahane and Smith - obviously - come close.

England need to skittle out SA tomorrow, if they get the chance. Then, a historic win is on the cards.
Original post by Zerforax
Not in Australia. Our players generally are even smaller so the bounce in the pitch really affects them.

You would still probably perform better, especially your bowling.

Original post by Mackay
What a day for Root. He really needed that after recent weeks and innings, where he has failed to convert a score of a half-century, or even 60 or 70, into a ton. It was a fantastic century effort, and he's a heck of a player.

He has completely rescued this Test match - along with Stokes, probably. I love Root. He's my favourite of England's players, and his stroke play is beautiful at times.

Aside from Williamson, he's the best batsman in the world right now. Rahane and Smith - obviously - come close.

England need to skittle out SA tomorrow, if they get the chance. Then, a historic win is on the cards.

Do you really rate Rahane on the level of Smith, Root etc.? I would say he has overtaken Kohli as the best Indian batsman.

I also agree with pretty much all of what you said about India.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 553

Do you really rate Rahane on the level of Smith, Root etc.? I would say he has overtaken Kohli as the best Indian batsman.

I also agree with pretty much all of what you said about India.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Rahane has all the attributes. He obviously isn't Root or Williamson level yet, but I think the pleasing thing is the way he stands up when the team need him.

He delivers more match-winning knocks in red-ball than ABDV, Amla, Misbah etc.
England all out this morning. Only a lead of 10 runs going into the second innings.
England tail not wagging recently...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 556
SA back in the lead as quickly as England were in it and then all out.

Everything is very, very even.
Great effort to get a lead. Seems like a quality even pitch. Feels weird for test cricket.
Broad demolishing SA.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 559
Broad will get the headlines for this session, and rightly so, but Bairstow's comfort behind the stumps is clear. He is relishing being in this side, and he's thriving. I actually thought he'd be a stop gap for Buttler, who I really rate, but he's making the gloves his own in red-ball cricket. Two fantastic keepers in the set up now.

Quick Reply

Latest