The Student Room Group

How much of your student loan do you have left?

Scroll to see replies

I didn't get one for that reason lol.
Original post by Frostyjoe
I'm really surprised that people have money to waste of things like protein powder. I have £350 a month which is after accommodation and all that money is for savings, food and my phone insurance/top up so after all that I only really have money for trips back home and bus journeys.

I don't have a maintenance grant so maybe that is the difference but I always thought that a lot of people were living on less than £50 a week or perhaps people are going into their overdraft.

Either way I don't think it's fair that low income students get a maintenance grant and everyone else gets nothing. The government expects people's parents to pay for everything which is not always the case, my parents make me pay for everything.

You say its not fair that low income students get a grant but £350 a week is still good, food shouldnt really be more than £20 a week and if youre smart about it, phone top up only costs 10-15 a month. This leaves plenty for social things.

Also student loans aren't there so you can put money into your savings account :L If you want to put put money into your savings get a job.

I am a low income student so guess I am kinda biased but I do only spend £30-40 a week not including my phone bill (£10 a month). Though I do send money back home for the extra bedroom taxes and pay rent while I am at home (that is where my money goes aha) which I bet you don't have to worry about so if I didnt get the extra money I kinda would be stuffed during term time and easter+christmas (I get a job in the summer)
(edited 8 years ago)
It's just a know of one student who is from a low income background. She is doing nursing so she has money coming out of her ears (she got £9,000 of a grant), supposedly according to the government I should be better off than her but it's the other way round.

She is constantly out shopping and eating out. Like she literally is having the time of her life, I don't think that's fair, at the end of the day we're all students looking to better ourselves - no one really has any money at this age. Looking at the amount of drinking people around me are doing I suspect that she is not the only one.

As I said I do feel like the government doesn't really help those of us in the middle classes. I mean we really get nothing to help us.
(edited 8 years ago)
It's just a know of one student who is from a low income background. She is doing nursing so she has money coming out of her ears, supposedly according to the government I should be better off than her but it's the other way round.

She has so much money she is constantly out shopping and eating out. Like she literally is having the time of her life, I don't think that's fair, at the end of the day we're all students looking to better ourselves - no one really has any money at this age. Looking at the amount of drinking people around me are doing I suspect that she is not the only one.

As I said I do feel like the government doesn't really help those of us in the middle classes. I mean we really get nothing to help us.

There definitely are people like that but I guess it is difficult to make a perfect system. But on the other side, I know a fair few middle class background students that are having their fees and living paid for so I guess it kinda evens itself out a bit.

Also a lot of students use their overdrafts for things like partying so some of them people will be doing that.
Well I never thought about that.

But I still don't think it's fair that she should have £800 a month to live on after rent.
It's just a know of one student who is from a low income background. She is doing nursing so she has money coming out of her ears (she got £9,000 of a grant), supposedly according to the government I should be better off than her but it's the other way round.

She is constantly out shopping and eating out. Like she literally is having the time of her life, I don't think that's fair, at the end of the day we're all students looking to better ourselves - no one really has any money at this age. Looking at the amount of drinking people around me are doing I suspect that she is not the only one.

£9k grant? How is that even possible when the max grant & loan combined is £7.4k and that's for non vocational courses
You get £6,000 busary and then £3,000 for maintenance grant. Either way she's having a fab time, basically getting a full time wage.
I've got a decent amount left, but I pay rent monthly so it'll slowly trickle away.. I also have a job interview in London next week, so £80 on train tickets, £100-ish on a decent interview outfit.. T___T
I normally live on 30 pounds a week, but because of the way this year's loan has panned out I had 20 p/w last term, and 40 this term. It's nice, but I'm worried about how next term will be!
You get £6,000 busary and then £3,000 for maintenance grant. Either way she's having a fab time, basically getting a full time wage.

Thats over twice as much bursary as anyone I know aha, maybe it's just either your uni or a nursing thing? Because no one I know its getting that much free money

And my household income is less than 5k
Well that's what it says when you add up the bursary and the maintenance grant.

Anyway, it's ****. I hate having to budget my money, all I want is enough to be able to go out for a meal or go out to the supermarket not worrying about my money.
Thankfully Scottish student finance pay in monthly instalments, saves students spending it all immediately.
Original post by Precious Illusions
Thankfully Scottish student finance pay in monthly instalments, saves students spending it all immediately.

buy me food please, i spent all my money
Original post by darkred
buy me food please, i spent all my money

You know if you genuinely did need food I'd send you some babygal xxx

Spoiler

You know if you genuinely did need food I'd send you some babygal xxx

Spoiler

buy me chinese chicken balls

Spoiler

Original post by darkred
buy me chinese chicken balls

Spoiler

Idk why you won't just meet me, I would legit treat you to a Chinese all you can eat buffet.
Idk why you won't just meet me, I would legit treat you to a Chinese all you can eat buffet.

because im a monster
Original post by darkred
because im a monster

I turn into a monster at all you can eat buffets too dw

I get a £6k bursary too but it's over the duration of my course (2k a year)
Original post by madmadmax321
Thats over twice as much bursary as anyone I know aha, maybe it's just either your uni or a nursing thing? Because no one I know its getting that much free money

And my household income is less than 5k

How is your household income less than £5k !?
£0, I don't get to touch it though, I get a loan that goes towards my accommodation

Quick Reply

Latest