The Student Room Group

Extremist groups must be allowed to preach on British campuses, new Oxford head says

Extremist groups must be allowed to speak at British universities because to ban them would stifle free speech, the new vice chancellor of Oxford has said.

We need to expose our students to ideas that make them uncomfortable so that they can think about why it is that they feel uncomfortable about and what it is about those ideas that they object to.

Professor Louise Richardson

Professor Louise Richardson said that she was comfortable with institutions giving platforms to extreme speakers, such as those from the controversial human rights group Cage as it is the best way to challenge their views.

In her first interview since taking the job, Prof Richardson argues that universities should be places where students confront views they find “objectionable” and learn to argue down opposing views rather than ban them.

Prof Richardson, who was this week appointed the first female vice-chancellor in the university’s history also expresses concerns that the Government's anti-terror strategy, Prevent, was singling out Muslim students for suspicion.

Her comments follow concerns that universities are giving in to political correctness following attempts to ban controversial speakers from campus and the attempts to remove the Cecil Rhodes statue from the university by students concerned about the colonial past it evokes.

Speaking to the Daily Telegraph from her new offices in Oxford, Prof Richardson said:
We need to expose our students to ideas that make them uncomfortable so that they can think about why it is that they feel uncomfortable about and what it is about those ideas that they object to.

And then to have the practice of framing a response and using reason to counter these objectionable ideas and to try to change the other person's mind and to be open to having their own minds changed. That's quite the opposite of the tendency towards safe spaces and I hope that universities will continue to defend the imperative of allowing even objectionable ideas to be spoken.

Six universities are currently being investigated over allegations that they allowed meeting to be held on campus during which Cage speakers, unopposed, advised students how how to avoid being deradicalised by Prevent.

Asked if that meant groups like Cage should be welcomed on campus, she said:
Provided that they can be countered, I think that we should let them be heard. In that way we model to our students how you counter ideas you find objectionable.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/12102509/Extremist-groups-must-be-allowed-to-preach-on-British-campuses-new-Oxford-head-says.html
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I wouldn't disagree with her if I didn't already know the Oxford Union's record on 'controversial' speakers of the 'wrong' kind.
Original post by Hydeman
I wouldn't disagree with her if I didn't already know the Oxford Union's record on 'controversial' speakers of the 'wrong' kind.

This
Oxford's stance is that there ought to be no censorship of any kind. University is a place to hone one's critical thinking and ability to reason. Because of that, they're also allowing platforms to criticise all and any ideologies.
Reply 4
Oxford students are far too stupid to understand let alone try to respond to extremists speakers so they should be allowed in Oxford.
Reply 5
Extreme speakers from Cage? Such as...?!
Original post by Maker
Oxford students are far too stupid to understand let alone try to respond to extremists speakers so they should be allowed in Oxford.

Oh no he didn't :zomg:
Original post by HAnwar
Extreme speakers from Cage? Such as...?!

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_cage_3550862b.jpg
Reply 8
Original post by Gnomes&Knights
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_cage_3550862b.jpg

What did he do?
Original post by HAnwar
What did he do?

I don't know.
Wow? A real Liberal? One who doesn't believe in censorship?

She's a rare one.
Reply 11
I don't know.

Point proven.
Original post by HAnwar
Point proven.

What point?
Original post by HAnwar
What did he do?

he cast a beautiful shadow, obviously!
ah, you, you silly sausage, you!
Reply 14
What point?

No evidence=no extremist.

Original post by simon_g
he cast a beautiful shadow, obviously!
ah, you, you silly sausage, you!

So you can't give any proof either, what a shame!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HAnwar
No evidence=no extremist. I didn't say there were any.
Reply 16
I didn't say there were any.

So there my no point in replying to my original point silly.
Original post by HAnwar
So there my no point in replying to my original point silly.

I just thought I'd share a hilarious picture. I'd expect such a picture from the Daily Mail but it is surprisingly from the Telegraph.
Reply 18
if what you preach (your right) aims to take/ takes away from the rights of others you shouldn't be allowed to preach it

since their extremist ideology takes pretty much the right of anyone different to them from gender to sexuality to personal belief they shouldn't be allowed to preach it

simple as
check this out i go to this sixth form aswell http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3389607/Islamists-bid-meet-primary-school-Extremists-tried-use-football-tournament-cover-planned-meeting-staff-no-idea-police-raised-alarm.html

some even said that the teachers were aware that it was cage but informed news outlets they had no idea that it was like wtfffff

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending