The Student Room Group

How long did it take you to pass your driving test?

I'm just about to start my lessons. I'm quite proficient with the knowledge of driving and general road sense and know WHAT to do when driving but have never actually driven a car. So I was wondering how long it takes people on average and how long I should expect to take?

Also, a side question. I'm also going to start revising for my theory. How long did that take you and what did you use/what did you find was the best way to do it? Is it difficult?

Thanks you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I was the same as you, I knew what to do for driving but had never been behind a wheel, took me around 20 lessons before I did my test but it's different for everyone because we all learn at different speeds.

Theory was okay, I bought one of those theory CD's you find at WHSmiths which I felt helped loads because going through every questions means you'll see nothing new in the actual test. Hazard perception was pretty hard, you just gotta get used to seeing the less obvious hazards like someone potentially going to cross the road
I did about 30 hours of driving in total before I passed my test, all within the space of 8 weeks. Theory test, I had a book of questions and I just went through the book about 3 times and took a bunch of practice tests, and practiced the hazard perception test online.
Original post by WoodyMKC
I did about 30 hours of driving in total before I passed my test, all within the space of 8 weeks. Theory test, I had a book of questions and I just went through the book about 3 times and took a bunch of practice tests, and practiced the hazard perception test online.

How much did that cost altogether?
Reply 4
You age is the number of 1 hour lessons you need + a bit of practice in between. Studying for the theory test is straightforward if you have a bit of aptitude. Passing the test requires competence but also a bit of luck with what strange things happen on the day. This is why the pass rate is typically pretty low. And you only really start to learn confident driving once you've passed.
Original post by cherryred90s
How much did that cost altogether?

I spent just under a grand on the whole process including lessons and tests (passed 3rd time).
Reply 6
38 hours. Passed first time. I predicted 20 for myself, but i had to cancel a test at 20 hours (If i took that test, i probably would have failed) and the next nearest test was a 2 month wait. Still worth it.
Original post by _Dreamville_
I'm just about to start my lessons. I'm quite proficient with the knowledge of driving and general road sense and know WHAT to do when driving but have never actually driven a car. So I was wondering how long it takes people on average and how long I should expect to take?

Also, a side question. I'm also going to start revising for my theory. How long did that take you and what did you use/what did you find was the best way to do it? Is it difficult?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Started learning in October 2007, passed my test in January 2008, about 80 days between my first lesson and my test. Had approximately 20 hours of lessons, and probably put in 40 to 50 hours driving own car during that time.

As for the theory, the vast majority of it is common sense. The only things you really need to revise are the road signs, road markings and stopping distances. Learn those things and as long as you actually possess some common sense you'll be fine.
Reply 8
The test takes about 40 minutes.
Thanks everyone. Really need to pass before July so hopefully it happens with a lesson or two a week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
20 hours is normally the very minimum people can pass in. The cheapest place for best quality instructors (if you are in London) is definitely midrive.com. They also have an app where you can track your progress. Really useful, especially if you are doing it over a couple of months so you don't forget what you did the week before!
Original post by KatieBurnham
20 hours is normally the very minimum people can pass in. The cheapest place for best quality instructors (if you are in London) is definitely midrive.com. They also have an app where you can track your progress. Really useful, especially if you are doing it over a couple of months so you don't forget what you did the week before!

Do you think I could do it with 10 lessons from a proper instructor and then regular drives with a sibling/parent once I've gotten the basics down? And then aim to pass the test by around April/May time?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's not a competition, so don't be in the mindset of doing it as quick as possible. I hate it when people boast they did it within 15 lessons or something, it's not a race and the most important thing is to be a good driver at the end of the process, no matter how many lessons you do
Reply 13
Original post by Mysterious4
It's not a competition, so don't be in the mindset of doing it as quick as possible. I hate it when people boast they did it within 15 lessons or something, it's not a race and the most important thing is to be a good driver at the end of the process, no matter how many lessons you do

I agree with this. Coincidentally it took me 15 hours (8/9 lessons cant remember) til I passed but I was by far a worse driver than 2 of my friends who passed around the same time but took a lot more lessons. I had a lot of confidence in myself and I see a lot of very good drivers failing due to nerves and they think it's because they don't have the skill. Driving is actually easier than a lot of learners think, it's all about having confidence though.
Original post by Mysterious4

I'm not seeing it like that. I'm asking because I'm looking to pass before my exams start so I can get it out of the way. I'll take as many lessons as I need to ensure I'm comfortable enough, I just wanted a general idea of how many lessons/hours people put in before they take their test.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not seeing it like that. I'm asking because I'm looking to pass before my exams start so I can get it out of the way. I'll take as many lessons as I need to ensure I'm comfortable enough, I just wanted a general idea of how many lessons/hours people put in before they take their test.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough pal, I was just saying how I see some people attempt to do it within 4 months or something and the result is that they are lacking in confidence and skills :tongue:
12. I did however do a lot of driving in my own car with my parents, which was awesome. I've always loved cars and still do though, passed 4 months after I was 17, I'm now going on 23, and have covered over 160,000 miles without incident (Touch-wood.)

Enjoy!
Reply 17

Posted from TSR Mobile

9 months with around 38 hours, passed first time
Reply 18
I had 13 one hour lessons. So 13 hours. I had no experience prior to this. Honestly everyone is different, but don't feel like you next to take 20+. 20 hours is a lot, and your instructor may use you into getting more money from you so just be careful. When you think you're ready, go for it.

I also revised for my theory for about 2 weeks, using the dvla book and the dvd. Would highly recommend them.
40 hours in 6 months. I had no idea what the pedals even did prior to this so was a complete noob and I had no private practice time with friends or family.

Passed first time. Don't rush yourself, you'll know when you're ready to take the test.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending