The Student Room Group

TSR Hindu Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1500
Just to remind you of what you're missing, @cupcakes87:

[video="youtube;iIY5oo6pLEc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIY5oo6pLEc[/video]
Can't deal with Shakuni, he's such a stereotypical villain :rofl:

Besides Krishna, I think Karna and Vidura are my favourite characters.
Original post by moment of truth
:lol: yeah his acting style was quite strange, but he fit the character pretty well! I can imagine that being really annoying :laugh:

:rofl: the pandavas are all good, especially Arjuna :love:

I also love Bhishma, but feel sorry for him because of the vow that he made when he was young.

i never liked the fact that Arjun got with his second wife- cant remember her name!

ikr! he must have regret it so much! i always think of who it was to blame for everything but there are so many stages to it that ts so hard!

Original post by nucdev
Just to remind you of what you're missing, @cupcakes87:

[video="youtube;iIY5oo6pLEc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIY5oo6pLEc[/video]

brings back memories :cry2:

watching it in the summer with my sister!
Reply 1503
Original post by cupcakes87
i never liked the fact that Arjun got with his second wife- cant remember her name!

ikr! he must have regret it so much! i always think of who it was to blame for everything but there are so many stages to it that ts so hard!

Subhadra, I think?

I always thought it was Satyavati who had a major blame in all of it - because of her insecurities, Bhishma had to take that oath.
Original post by nucdev
Subhadra, I think?

I always thought it was Satyavati who had a major blame in all of it - because of her insecurities, Bhishma had to take that oath.

yep her!

but then sometimes i think Bhishma shouldnt have given in :frown:
Reply 1505
yep her!

but then sometimes i think Bhishma shouldnt have given in :frown:

True, but then I also feel that when the time came, he should have broken some of his promises to people like Duryodhan and Dhritrashtra.

I can't remember either, but his whole character is just amazing. I also love him cause my cousin is named after him :rofl:

Yeahh, you could see when he knew he had to fight against the Pandavas how much that decision meant to him. Arjuna was the only one capable of killing him (if I remember correctly).
Original post by nucdev
True, but then I also feel that when the time came, he should have broken some of his promises to people like Duryodhan and Dhritrashtra.

Ikr! that was frustrating to watch! its like he could see what was happening and what was going to happen yet he couldnt break promises to save others. in a way tho, i guess it shows that a promise meant something back then. and i guess without all that we wouldnt have such a great story

Original post by moment of truth
I can't remember either, but his whole character is just amazing. I also love him cause my cousin is named after him :rofl:

Yeahh, you could see when he knew he had to fight against the Pandavas how much that decision meant to him. Arjuna was the only one capable of killing him (if I remember correctly).

ohhh yhhh! little Arjun! Bubbs he is so cute! :lol: i remember when you recorded him and he was listing all his brothers names :lol:

yepp! im starting to forget bits of it now :sad: when i watched it tho i could tell you every tiny detail :lol:
Ikr! that was frustrating to watch! its like he could see what was happening and what was going to happen yet he couldnt break promises to save others. in a way tho, i guess it shows that a promise meant something back then. and i guess without all that we wouldnt have such a great story

ohhh yhhh! little Arjun! Bubbs he is so cute! :lol: i remember when you recorded him and he was listing all his brothers names :lol:

yepp! im starting to forget bits of it now :sad: when i watched it tho i could tell you every tiny detail :lol:

Loool yep, he is really cute :love: I remember that too!

I am pretty much the same :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Interesting discussion today between me and a Muslim. The muslim is a friend within my sixth form, and he decided to bring up the topic of religion. I told him about my religion and he told me about his. The funny thing was that I did not criticize his religion at all as he spoke about it yet he chose to try pick at points I was making. Anyway to the point one question that I found hard to answer was his question that 'Why does god need to come down in different forms, dosen't it give us the answers to easily (as in what is the point in the test', Can anybody explain this. The discussion went on to me talking about reincarnation and him talking about his afterlife. Funny thing is that it became more like a debate towards the end rather than a discussion.
Reply 1510
Original post by SunDun111
Interesting discussion today between me and a Muslim. The muslim is a friend within my sixth form, and he decided to bring up the topic of religion. I told him about my religion and he told me about his. The funny thing was that I did not criticize his religion at all as he spoke about it yet he chose to try pick at points I was making. Anyway to the point one question that I found hard to answer was his question that 'Why does god need to come down in different forms, dosen't it give us the answers to easily (as in what is the point in the test', Can anybody explain this. The discussion went on to me talking about reincarnation and him talking about his afterlife. Funny thing is that it became more like a debate towards the end rather than a discussion.

Can you explain what you mean by the "test"?

However, I suppose the answer to the main question actually depends on what philosophical branch of Hinduism someone belongs to, being so varied as it is.

E.g.: One branch would argue that there is no God (Ishwara) who comes down to Earth in any form, since that branch doesn't even accept the concept of God.

On the other hand, another branch would argue that God is already very much visible here and now - within humanity itself. Individuals whom the Hindus have raised to the status of avatars of God are actually those who discovered that God within themselves and were able to show others the way to do the same.

I'll let you know a proper theistic viewpoint when you let me know what you meant by the "test" though.
Original post by nucdev
Can you explain what you mean by the "test"?

However, I suppose the answer to the main question actually depends on what philosophical branch of Hinduism someone belongs to, being so varied as it is.

E.g.: One branch would argue that there is no God (Ishwara) who comes down to Earth in any form, since that branch doesn't even accept the concept of God.

On the other hand, another branch would argue that God is already very much visible here and now - within humanity itself. Individuals whom the Hindus have raised to the status of avatars of God are actually those who discovered that God within themselves and were able to show others the way to do the same.

I'll let you know a proper theistic viewpoint when you let me know what you meant by the "test" though.

So the Muslim asked me 'what is the purpose/test of life' Then when I explained its to get out of the reincarnation cycle and break free, he then highlighted why would god come down on earth in different forms, it makes it to easy for us to believe. My view of Hinduism I grew up with was idol worshiping different forms of god.
Reply 1512
So the Muslim asked me 'what is the purpose/test of life' Then when I explained its to get out of the reincarnation cycle and break free, he then highlighted why would god come down on earth in different forms, it makes it to easy for us to believe. My view of Hinduism I grew up with was idol worshiping different forms of god.

OK got it. I personally like the explanation given in this video about why god would come down to earth. See what you think and let me know if you have any further questions:

[video="youtube;m4-S7F0Nhvk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4-S7F0Nhvk[/video]
Original post by nucdev
OK got it. I personally like the explanation given in this video about why god would come down to earth. See what you think and let me know if you have any further questions:

[video="youtube;m4-S7F0Nhvk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4-S7F0Nhvk[/video]

Thanks, I like Jay Lakhani's videos. A few years ago I watched a talk of his on reincarnation that really inspired me to 100 per cent believe in it.
Reply 1514
Thanks, I like Jay Lakhani's videos. A few years ago I watched a talk of his on reincarnation that really inspired me to 100 per cent believe in it.

Ikr - this is the one guy who I would say actually brought me back to Hinduism because I attended a talk of his at uni when I was 20.
Jay explains things with clarity and you can absolutely challenge him and ask tough questions (as I have done via email quite often :lol:)
It was after interacting with him that I decided to read Vivekananda's works (which is where Jay gets his inspiration from) and the rest is history!
Original post by nucdev
Ikr - this is the one guy who I would say actually brought me back to Hinduism because I attended a talk of his at uni when I was 20.
Jay explains things with clarity and you can absolutely challenge him and ask tough questions (as I have done via email quite often :lol:)
It was after interacting with him that I decided to read Vivekananda's works (which is where Jay gets his inspiration from) and the rest is history!

DO you know Lilly Singh And Shruti Hassan They are Baeeeeeee And Deepika Padukone :P :colondollar::p:banana::banana:
My uni's Krishna Consciousness society is doing a series of talks on the Bhagavad Gita starting in a couple of weeks, gonna make sure I go and take as much as I can from it as it will be really interesting! Will try and post what I find, but knowing me I won't :lol:

Spoiler

Hello Hindu Soc.

I was recently speaking to my good hindu friend, and the topic of caste had arisen.
I questioned him on his beliefs of this topic, and as a hindu whether he thought that caste was right.
He said that although he himself does not believe in discrimination of the caste system, it is very much a part of hinduism.

So my question is, do you guys think the caste system is 'right'?

(btw im not hindu if you couldn't already tell)
(edited 8 years ago)
I am a Hindu I also want to join.
Reply 1519
Original post by TheALevelStudent
Hello Hindu Soc.

I was recently speaking to my good hindu friend, and the topic of caste had arisen.
I questioned him on his beliefs of this topic, and as a hindu whether he thought that caste was right.
He said that although he himself does not believe in discrimination of the caste system, it is very much a part of hinduism.

So my question is, do you guys think the caste system is 'right'?

Nope. I call it an atrocity committed in the name of Hinduism and the modern caste system has no sanction from the scripture of authority anyway.

There is the idea of Varna mentioned in the Gita, which just says that the jobs in society are to be divided up based on aptitude, qualities. It is just like division of labour that we study in economics.
That's all. It is nothing to do with birth or parents or anything like the modern caste system.

Unfortunately, what was a valid idea, degenerated and was practiced in a very poor way by the Hindus which is why Hinduism is blamed for it. But the scriptures of authority in many places say that everybody is equal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending