The Student Room Group

Should I not do my Differential Equations coursework for Further Maths (MEI)?

anyway long story short is MEI is stupid and we have COURSEWORK for differential equations which I am not too keen on doing since I get nothing out of doing it except some marks in teh exam. But I really don't care about marks in MEI since I know I will get an A* in further maths either way (Yes I know this is rather cocky but I am confident of this) so I'm wondering is there any reason for me to even do this coursework?
Original post by imsoanonymous123
anyway long story short is MEI is stupid and we have COURSEWORK for differential equations which I am not too keen on doing since I get nothing out of doing it except some marks in teh exam. But I really don't care about marks in MEI since I know I will get an A* in further maths either way (Yes I know this is rather cocky but I am confident of this) so I'm wondering is there any reason for me to even do this coursework?

I know, MEI coursework is painful and dire...

Well, if you're confident of the A*, make sure you enter a blank entry for the CW (as opposed to no entry at all) or you won't get a grade for FM.

I might be doing this for numerical methods or just hand in a replicate of the C3 one lol.

That's fine if you're not worried about UMS and you're confident of 90%.

Just be careful, as FP2 grade boundaries were extremely high last year (65/72 just for 80 UMS (A)), so if you want a low-risk but painful option, do the CW, if you want a higher risk (but more time to do papers instead of CW), enter a few blank pages.

Best of luck boredom-dodging!!

EDIT: btw, if you're doing this, you can only afford to lose 10 UMS across the two other modules assuming you get 100 in DE!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Cadherin
more time to do papers instead

Lol I'm not going to do any papers... I said i was confident of the A*. I don't need to do papers
Lol I'm not going to do any papers... I said i was confident of the A*. I don't need to do papers

Well, I'm glad you're confident of the A*, but perhaps do a few papers (particularly FP2) as a lack of practise may cost, especially given the grade boundaries.

With a blank entry in the CW, you're losing 20 UMS, which means you need close to full raw marks on all the papers (I would say 70+/72).

It's good to be confident about FM, but I would seriously advise a little practice just in case, especially if you're not doing the CW.
Well, I'm glad you're confident of the A*, but perhaps do a few papers (particularly FP2) as a lack of practise may cost, especially given the grade boundaries.

With a blank entry in the CW, you're losing 20 UMS, which means you need close to full raw marks on all the papers (I would say 70+/72).

It's good to be confident about FM, but I would seriously advise a little practice just in case, especially if you're not doing the CW.

I thought you just need 2 A2 papers above 90 gets you an A*?

Not in FM!!

A* in maths:

480 UMS overall with at least 90 average between C3 and C4.

A* in further maths:

480 UMS overall with at least 90 average across ALL THREE A2 modules.
Well, given you need 90+ average (i.e. 270+ UMS) in A2 further maths for an A*, I would advise coursework or practise.

Good luck anyway.

Not was not only cocky, but stupid as well. I did normal maths and I was told that without the coursework, one cannot get above a B grade.

Therefore, no matter how smart ass you may be, coursework or no A*. Grow up and deal with life's dull side :wink:
Original post by saule1116
Not was not only cocky, but stupid as well. I did normal maths and I was told that without the coursework, one cannot get above a B grade.

Therefore, no matter how smart ass you may be, coursework or no A*. Grow up and deal with life's dull side :wink:

its a B grade in ONE module you can still get an A* overall. Yes that is cocky but I am above not getting an A* in a level further maths

All three exams are equally important and share equal amount of marks. Hence, you would have to ace EVERYTHING to the last detail...
All three exams are equally important and share equal amount of marks. Hence, you would have to ace EVERYTHING to the last detail...

uh not really
its a B grade in ONE module you can still get an A* overall. Yes that is cocky but I am above not getting an A* in a level further maths

Unless this huge confidence kicks you in the wrong spot and you forget to revise a topic and fail questions which you cannot fail if you need the marks.
Do the coursework. Some marks are better than no marks.
uh not really

This is true. You should know this from your AS Further Maths :wink:
Unless this huge confidence kicks you in the wrong spot and you forget to revise a topic and fail questions which you cannot fail if you need the marks.
Do the coursework. Some marks are better than no marks.

I won't "forget to revise a topic" since I don't need to revise any topics in the first place...
This is true. You should know this from your AS Further Maths :wink:

I'm doing 15 modules: 7 last year, 8 this year

Technically, if he doesn't do the DE coursework (which, granted, is abysmally dull - almost as bad as numerical methods), he loses out on 20 UMS.

Thus, from the papers, he must get a total of 270/280 UMS (given that he gets 0 for the coursework).

Thus, he can get an A*, but it will be tight - losing out on only another 10 UMS across three A2 FM papers is quite an ask - especially considering losing 3 raw marks on last summer's FP2 would bring you down to 90 UMS - already the 10 leeway gone.

Screw up one question (i.e. about 4 raw marks) on any ONE paper and it's bye bye A*.
I won't "forget to revise a topic" since I don't need to revise any topics in the first place...

Okay, okay, big guy. Suit yourself. Most people are advising to do the coursework. If you did not want to hear people actively encouraging you to just get on with it, could've gone to whine somewhere else. You wanted advise - here it is - don't be stupid and do the coursework, "clever clogs".
Okay, okay, big guy. Suit yourself. Most people are advising to do the coursework. If you did not want to hear people actively encouraging you to just get on with it, could've gone to whine somewhere else. You wanted advise - here it is - don't be stupid and do the coursework, "clever clogs".

I think I'll find a middle ground and half ass it and get like 12 out of the 18 marks from it, thanks for helping me make this decision
Technically, if he doesn't do the DE coursework (which, granted, is abysmally dull - almost as bad as numerical methods), he loses out on 20 UMS.

Thus, from the papers, he must get a total of 270/280 UMS (given that he gets 0 for the coursework).

Thus, he can get an A*, but it will be tight - losing out on only another 10 UMS across three A2 FM papers is quite an ask - especially considering losing 3 raw marks on last summer's FP2 would bring you down to 90 UMS - already the 10 leeway gone.

Screw up one question (i.e. about 4 raw marks) on any ONE paper and it's bye bye A*.

That was basically what I was trying to say. This guy just isn't worth the effort, so I gave up.
If the marks that you would have got from this coursework (even an attempt at it) you will regret it. Please do it.

Quick Reply

Latest