The Student Room Group

A complete career change, do I have to start from the bottom?

I've completed my Foundation degree in Hospitality and Tourism Management last year but a few months ago my mother was diagnosed of cancer which led me to take a gap year. I'm 22. I'm working full-time as a waiter. I've to admit I love the industry but I'm not making a decent amount of money which is why the thought of a career change has been bugging me for the past months.

I want to get in to nursing or law but with the qualifications that I have attained, do I have to start from the bottom again?

- PPP - BTEC Extended Diploma Travel & Tourism
- Pass - Foundation Degree Hospitality & Tourism Management
Original post by neiiilm
I've completed my Foundation degree in Hospitality and Tourism Management last year but a few months ago my mother was diagnosed of cancer which led me to take a gap year. I'm 22. I'm working full-time as a waiter. I've to admit I love the industry but I'm not making a decent amount of money which is why the thought of a career change has been bugging me for the past months.

I want to get in to nursing or law but with the qualifications that I have attained, do I have to start from the bottom again?

- PPP - BTEC Extended Diploma Travel & Tourism
- Pass - Foundation Degree Hospitality & Tourism Management

Yes you would. It's likely you d need to look at an access course for either degree, bare in mind that you may have to self fund a year for a law degree and you would definitely need to get experience for a nursing degree.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Yes you would. It's likely you d need to look at an access course for either degree, bare in mind that you may have to self fund a year for a law degree and you would definitely need to get experience for a nursing degree.

Thanks for the reply, Claire. So it's either do a BTEC or an access course?
Original post by neiiilm
Thanks for the reply, Claire. So it's either do a BTEC or an access course?

Yes I think so, I think an access course would be more likely to be accepted for law courses though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending