The Student Room Group

Having trouble choosing University

So I now have all of my offers for Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering - A*A for Bristo Aero, AAA for Manchester Aero and A*AA for UCL mechanical. Although UCL is a highly prestigeous and recognised university, which would be a natural first choice, i have read that its Mechanical engineering department is not that good. In fact it falls many places in league tables in that department. Bristol, although less well known, fares better for this subject. Manchester will be my insurance regardless. Any advice would be very helpful.
Reply 1
Original post by Heisenberg97
So I now have all of my offers for Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering - A*A for Bristo Aero, AAA for Manchester Aero and A*AA for UCL mechanical. Although UCL is a highly prestigeous and recognised university, which would be a natural first choice, i have read that its Mechanical engineering department is not that good. In fact it falls many places in league tables in that department. Bristol, although less well known, fares better for this subject. Manchester will be my insurance regardless. Any advice would be very helpful.

which one is your favourite?
Original post by a10
which one is your favourite?

I'm pretty set on Bristol but turning down UCL is hard.
Reply 3

...then go to Bristol!

Forget all this "prestigious" nonsense it really does not matter (if you want to be an engineer).

Did you go to open days?
Do you want to go into investment banking?
Original post by RiskVsReward
Did you go to open days?
Do you want to go into investment banking?

I'm an international student but I may go to an open day in february. I might go into investment banking but for now I want to focus on getting a good engineering degree.

I go Bristol so if you have any questions about the city or anything let me know. Don't do mech eng myself, but since I do computer science (also under the faculty of engineering), I get spammed with emails about industrial mentoring schemes for the other engineering courses... From that I could tell you Bristol seems to have pretty good industry links, so even though it's not necessarily as well known as UCL, it definitely wouldn't lack opportunity after. I'm also sure Bristol does pretty well in league tables for mech eng.
Original post by k4l397
I go Bristol so if you have any questions about the city or anything let me know. Don't do mech eng myself, but since I do computer science (also under the faculty of engineering), I get spammed with emails about industrial mentoring schemes for the other engineering courses... From that I could tell you Bristol seems to have pretty good industry links, so even though it's not necessarily as well known as UCL, it definitely wouldn't lack opportunity after. I'm also sure Bristol does pretty well in league tables for mech eng.

Just firmed Bristol :smile: ! I have a feeling I made the right choice
I'm an international student but I may go to an open day in february. I might go into investment banking but for now I want to focus on getting a good engineering degree.

The main route is that you need to go in year 1 to spring week and so on. You kind of have to want to do it actively rather than have it as an addon as its pretty difficult to get into to.
Just firmed Bristol :smile: ! I have a feeling I made the right choice

Glad you managed to come to a decision :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest