The Student Room Group

Indians, Pakistanis and Bengalis - would you marry one another?

I think it's fair to say that these three backgrounds are fairly similar with subtle differences. These differences may be the language and religion.

However, seeing as they all were one at one point in history, there are common traits that all these backgrounds have.

Say if you were Indian, would you ever consider marrying a Pakistani or Bengali? (And vice versa).

What would your family think?

If your answer is no, why?

I'm genuinely curious about this.

Scroll to see replies

I wouldn't mind, but my parents would probably hunt me and never let me see the light of day again if I did marry anyone of a different background.

Spoiler

Original post by tg0896
I think it's fair to say that these three backgrounds are fairly similar with subtle differences. These differences may be the language and religion.

However, seeing as they all were one at one point in history, there are common traits that all these backgrounds have.

Say if you were Indian, would you ever consider marrying a Pakistani or Bengali? (And vice versa).

What would your family think?

If your answer is no, why?

I'm genuinely curious about this.

Have got a joke for you.

What do you call an Indian marrying a Pakistani?.......Banished.
(Pakistani here) Personally I'd have no problem marrying a Bengali or Indian.

My parents would prefer a Pakistani or North Indian.

Bengali would be a bit of a problem maybe, and South Indian. That's just down to their racist attitude, but I'm sure I'd be able to convince them to overlook that. (But she'd have to be Muslim)
Oh God! I want to marry an Indian guy eventually and I'm a Pakistani myself. I love British Indian guys. Family wouldn't mind as long as the guy is a Muslim. However, a guy's religion doesn't bother me as long as we click with each other emotionally.
Reply 5
As long as they were Muslim and could speak Urdu my family may be slightly symphathetic, I dont care though
Original post by TSRian123454321
I wouldn't mind, but my parents would probably hunt me and never let me see the light of day again if I did marry anyone of a different background.

Spoiler

Which one of the three desis are you?
Reply 7
Parents wouldn't like it if I married an Indian guy. I'd like to marry this afghan guy though :blushing: <3
Lol, why not?

People everywhere are essentially the same. These kinds of things make no difference to me! :biggrin:
I wouldn't mind, my parents would...
Not going to convert into Islam to get married to a Muslim girl and I'd rather not put up with the BS that her and my family would probably give me.
Original post by arfah
Parents wouldn't like it if I married an Indian guy. I'd like to marry this afghan guy though :blushing: <3

Is he the one you are currently crushing on?

Meh my one is an Indian but I don't think he's into me:colonhash:
I'm Indian and I cannot see myself marrying a Bengali or Pakistani. My parents wouldn't ever allow it and religion would be a problem.
(edited 8 years ago)
my parents don't care about race as long as he is a good muslim.
my dad doesn't want me or my siblings to marry anyone black though lol
Reply 14
Wouldn't mind as long as I'm not asked to convert.
Family wouldn't mind either, but they would have a good chuckle if I married a Pakistani girl :biggrin:
Preferably Indian, just because that's what my parents would want. Pakistani wouldn't be a problem, but Bengali would be quite an outreach (due to the language barrier, mostly).

Also Muslim. Or I'd be dead.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TSRian123454321
Bengali, though I don't think that makes much difference in terms of parents' attitudes.

Yeah true. However, I think Bengalis and Pakistanis despite many of them being Muslims, many of us have issues marrying each other. Dunno why tbh.
Original post by nucdev
Wouldn't mind as long as I'm not asked to convert.
Family wouldn't mind either, but they would have a good chuckle if I married a Pakistani girl :biggrin:

Why would they chuckle?:s-smilie:
No, I'm Indian and generally attracted to white guys but like Indian guys too. Parents would not approve at all of marrying a Bengali or Pakistani person, they'd sooner I'd marry a white guy.
Reply 19
Original post by BrokenLife
Why would they chuckle?:s-smilie:

The traditional rivalry thingy and the typical "log kya kahenge".
They would be cool with it though.

Latest

Trending

Trending