The Student Room Group

These are the Top 5 Universities in the UK!

Once you throw prestige, reputation, history, employment prospects, league tables, the 'damn you go to X Uni' wow factor, selectivity, entry criteria, average Joe on the streets knowledge and international brand awareness together, these are undoubtedly the top 5 Universities in the UK.

Oxford and Cambridge
LSE and Imperial
UCL

Then all the rest come. It is safe to say that the so-called 'G5', is indeed the top 5 in the UK.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Warwick?
Reply 2
Always feel like Durham has a lot of P
*shrug*
Original post by Awesome Genius
Warwick?

Original post by Milzime
Always feel like Durham has a lot of P
*shrug*

Warwick and Durham are brilliant Universities don't get me wrong, but they aren't the top 5. They are certainly the Top 7/8 however.

Warwick and Durham don't necessarily have the same 'international brand image' as the other 5.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
London Met?
Original post by UWS
London Met?

Target Uni for McDonald's
Reply 6
Original post by SmaugTheTerrible
Warwick and Durham are brilliant Universities don't get me wrong, but they aren't the top 5. They are certainly the Top 7/8 however.

Warwick and Durham don't necessarily have the same 'international brand image' as the other 5.

yeyeyey fairs fairs fairzzz

but Hull?
Original post by Milzime
yeyeyey fairs fairs fairzzz

but Hull?

Hull? irrelevant and in the middle of nowhere.
Reply 8
Will this circle-jerk of listing top unis end...

Each person has a different set of requirements and should measure unis based on their own variables. I get people want to go to the best uni possible, I do too, but we could spend a little less time obsessing and a bit more time working? :redface:

Oxford could be the best for one student, but Bath could be the best for another.

Also league tables are pointless, they change frequently and their methodologies are varied. As long as a uni is valued by employers and good for that subject in its own right, it's a decent uni to go to.
Original post by jamestg
Will this circle-jerk of listing top unis end...

Each person has a different set of requirements and should measure unis based on their own variables. I get people want to go to the best uni possible, I do too, but we could spend a little less time obsessing and a bit more time working? :redface:

Oxford could be the best for one student, but Bath could be the best for another.

Also league tables are pointless, they change frequently and their methodologies are varied. As long as a uni is valued by employers and good for that subject in its own right, it's a decent uni to go to.

That is certainly true. My list is based on what most people would consider to be the 'most prestigious' Universities in the country, and subsequently the world.

I'm not trying to make a list of which University is the right 'fit' for any given person.

Yes, I agree league tables are volatile.

For example, the Guardian ranked LSE 13th this year and ranked Loughborough above it. That's just about the most absurd thing I've ever heard in my life. LSE crushes Loughborough, picks it back up, and crushes it with another 4000ton crusher again. LSE is firmly a UK top 5 and one of the most selective and well-known Universities on earth.

That's why I included many other factors on which to justify my conclusions. Be that as it may, those Universities that regularly (for decades) have ranked highly, can be regarded as such.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SmaugTheTerrible
Hull? irrelevant and in the middle of nowhere.

(me trying to be funny kk k k )
I agree but only on your top 4. To me UCL is another standard good uni that I would place with Warwick and Durham. But it's not as special as the other four for your factors. So let's call it the big 4.
Original post by EtherealNymph22
I agree but only on your top 4. To me UCL is another standard good uni that I would place with Warwick and Durham. But it's not as special as the other four for your factors. So let's call it the big 4.

I disagree. UCL is a pretty beast of a University and has much higher international rep. For one thing, it's ranked in the top 10 of the World across several league tables, let alone the UK.

The 'London' name carries a lot of weight as well, and UCL is far more well known in Asia than Durham or Warwick. It has far more funding, research and historically has been the hub of scientific innovation.

Warwick and Durham are far more highly regarded nationally, within the UK, than they are outside of it. UCL on the other hand, does have an international brand name.

Fundamentally what we perceive as 'prestige' comes down to two factors. How well known something is, and how well regarded it is.

UCL is very well known and very well regarded, by a lot of people.

Durham, for example, is very well regarded, but not as well known internationally.
(edited 8 years ago)
i find these threads so cringe these days.

Why top 5? No one else compares with Oxbridge in the UK, maybe LSE but that's it. They are in tier by themselves in terms of prestige.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Evil Genius
These threads are so cringe.

Why top 5? No one else compares with Oxbridge in the UK, maybe LSE but that's it. They are in tier by themselves in terms of prestige.

That is exactly why they are in a separate line. I put them together, and then started a new line for LSE and Imperial.
Reply 16
Makes no difference to employers.. a degree is a degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Souljer
Makes no difference to employers.. a degree is a degree.
Posted from TSR Mobile

lolwat
cardiff is a top 5 uni for research and is third for medicine!

so this just proves that the whole "top five" doesnt work. it depends what its based on!
1. Oxford
2. Imperial College
3. Cambridge
4. UCL
5. Bristol / LSE

Latest