The Student Room Group

Do you plan on getting married in the future?

Scroll to see replies

It's not something I'm opposed to but I'm not really bothered tbh
Already married
Original post by BookBird
I'd love to get married because I'd love to have kids, and I'd love for my kids to have a father figure, so artificial insemination is out of the question.

You don't have to get married to have kids, or for your kids to have a father-figure.
If I met the right person, I wouldn't mind. However, my social skills are quite poor so I cannot see this happening. :colondollar:
Original post by CrazyKittenLady
Yeah if we are planning on having children I like the idea ofboth the parents and the children to have the same last name to unite them... A bit old fashioned I know :P

Exactly this.
I don't understand why any male wants to get married in modern day society when there is so much risk and little protection.

We get a lot of clients at work who want to hide their assets/investments from their partner and will go to great lengths in order to do so, it's quite funny really.
Original post by sr90
I don't understand why any male wants to get married in modern day society when there is so much risk and little protection.

We get a lot of clients at work who want to hide their assets/investments from their partner and will go to great lengths in order to do so, it's quite funny really.

Presumably nowadays though, women are actually more likely to have their own career and earnings than in the past?
Reply 267
It's an outdated, Christian ceremony that binds you legally and financially to one another.

No thank you.
I've never valued marriage in the same way that a lot of people do. Sure, it's a nice thing to do, and shows your love/commitment to your partner, but is it really necessary? As long as I was happy with that person, and that person complimented my life, does it matter if we have a piece of paper to certify we're together.

If anything, I'm scared of marriage because on the chance that it does end badly, the law isn't in my favor.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Presumably nowadays though, women are actually more likely to have their own career and earnings than in the past?

It's generally still the woman that earns less and thus is the logical one to put the career progression and earning potential on the back burner when they, as a couple, decide to have children. I.e. her that needs the protection of marriage due to sacrificing her own earning potential in order to be able to make it in time for school pick-up and so on. Generally the lower earner is not earning enough for paid childcare to make all that much sense financially, so someone has to slow it down a bit to allow the other's career to continue unaffected/progress. Obviously this is sometimes the father now. Whoever it is, they would generally be far more ****ed in the event of a break-up were they not married to their partner.

I'm getting married this year, most likely by/in the autumn. We don't think we'll be having a wedding though.
Original post by Ronove
It's generally still the woman that earns less and thus is the logical one to put the career progression and earning potential on the back burner when they, as a couple, decide to have children. I.e. her that needs the protection of marriage due to sacrificing her own earning potential in order to be able to make it in time for school pick-up and so on. Generally the lower earner is not earning enough for paid childcare to make all that much sense financially, so someone has to slow it down a bit to allow the other's career to continue unaffected/progress. Obviously this is sometimes the father now. Whoever it is, they would generally be far more ****ed in the event of a break-up were they not married to their partner.

I'm getting married this year, most likely by/in the autumn. We don't think we'll be having a wedding though.

Civil ceremony, then?
No, because it's hard enough finding the ideal person as it is, let alone one who doesn't want to have sex and children like me. Oh well.
Original post by Chief Wiggum

Doesn't stop men being absolutely screwed over as soon as the woman decides she's had enough
Original post by Savage R3N3GAD3
She must be a person of faith. She must be from the same ethnic group as me. It would be nice if she had a decent family background without any major red flags. She must be a virgin, she can't have had any previous boyfriends, never been touched or kissed by any other men previously. So she needs to be pure and untainted.

Sounds like you need an arranged marriage. The odds of meeting someone like that on your own in a modern society are vanishingly small.
Original post by Kiytt
It's an outdated, Christian ceremony that binds you legally and financially to one another.

No thank you.

Is it a christian ceremony anyway when people are getting married without doing that in a church? can a civil marriage be regarded as Christian?
At this moment in time, I wouldn't really want to get married. Although, if I was to find the right person that I would want to spend the rest of my life with, I would definitely consider it.
I feel as though, If there's someone I truly love, marriage wouldn't really be required.
No no no, hell no! 😎
Original post by UntoldWarrior
At this moment in time, I wouldn't really want to get married. Although, if I was to find the right person that I would want to spend the rest of my life with, I would definitely consider it.
I feel as though, If there's someone I truly love, marriage wouldn't really be required.

Yeah, I don't really get why you'd need a piece of paper:dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Drez999
No no no, hell no! 😎

That is always my answer to people who are asking me the question about marriage. :lol:
Reply 279
Original post by Kallisto
Is it a christian ceremony anyway when people are getting married without doing that in a church? can a civil marriage be regarded as Christian?

Civil partnership is different in its origin, so no, it is not Christian.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending