The Student Room Group

Which subject should I choose?

I did Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Computer Science for AS level and I want to drop one subject to reduce the work load but I can't decide between Chemistry and Computer Science. I want to become an engineer but definitely not a Chemical Engineer. Do I stand a better chance of being accepted by a university having done chemistry or computer science. Which one should I choose?
Reply 1
Chemistry is more popular than computer science but computer science is held in high regard in most universities, you already have two sciences, if you like computers and you want to have a career that involves computing then i would advise not to drop computer science, its really useful
Reply 2
well i do both and im at A2, I'd drop chemistry if I were you
what do you want to do?
oh an engineer
yeah deffo get rid of chemistry X'D
Original post by tc32
I did Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Computer Science for AS level and I want to drop one subject to reduce the work load but I can't decide between Chemistry and Computer Science. I want to become an engineer but definitely not a Chemical Engineer. Do I stand a better chance of being accepted by a university having done chemistry or computer science. Which one should I choose?

If I were you, I would rather drop Chemistry because you said you definitely dont want to be a chemical engineer. Both engineering and computer are very little or not related to chemistry at all, so you are better off with doing computer science.
Reply 5
Original post by Darshan98
If I were you, I would rather drop Chemistry because you said you definitely dont want to be a chemical engineer. Both engineering and computer are very little or not related to chemistry at all, so you are better off with doing computer science.

Thanks. Its nice to hear that because I was tired of chemistry anyway.
Original post by tc32
Thanks. Its nice to hear that because I was tired of chemistry anyway.

HAHA. Same :laugh::lolz:
Btw as my school doesnt offer computer science at A-Levels:frown: I decided to do it myself and be entered as a private candidate (Already talked to OCR)? What do you think will I be able to do it myself or is it just too hard to do it without a teacher? I am planning to do most of it myself and the stuff I dont understand, I will go to a tutor...
Will it be feasible in your opinion to do it by myself? :biggrin:
Thanks in advance.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
HAHA. Same :laugh::lolz:
Btw as my school doesnt offer computer science at A-Levels:frown: I decided to do it myself and be entered as a private candidate (Already talked to OCR)? What do you think will I be able to do it myself or is it just too hard to do it without a teacher? I am planning to do most of it myself and the stuff I dont understand, I will go to a tutor...
Will it be feasible in your opinion to do it by myself? :biggrin:
Thanks in advance.

You only need a teacher to learn programming. As well as for theory, you can read yourself. For theory our teacher didn't teach us much and I did most of the reading myself. I only managed to get a B because I barely read computer science, just twice during the holidays and 2 weeks before the exam. Unlike chemistry which I spent most of my energy reading only to get a C.
Original post by tc32
You only need a teacher to learn programming. As well as for theory, you can read yourself. For theory our teacher didn't teach us much and I did most of the reading myself. I only managed to get a B because I barely read computer science, just twice during the holidays and 2 weeks before the exam. Unlike chemistry which I spent most of my energy reading only to get a C.

Thanks!
So if I could teach myself programming I would be able to do that A-Level my self as you said that you did most of the reading yourself. If you "only managed to get a B because I barely read computer science, just twice during the holidays and 2 weeks before the exam.", can I manage to get an A* :biggrin: if I would study it with proper dedication and interest :lol:? I really want to do CompSci A-level because it woild greatly aid me with my uni application for CompSci(I know that unis dont require compsci at A-Level but I believe it would be useful if I do it:yes:)
Reply 9
Thanks!
So if I could teach myself programming I would be able to do that A-Level my self as you said that you did most of the reading yourself. If you "only managed to get a B because I barely read computer science, just twice during the holidays and 2 weeks before the exam.", can I manage to get an A* :biggrin: if I would study it with proper dedication and interest :lol:? I really want to do CompSci A-level because it woild greatly aid me with my uni application for CompSci(I know that unis dont require compsci at A-Level but I believe it would be useful if I do it:yes:)

I advise that you get a tutor for programming because learning it yourself will be very difficult, unlike the theory which is just reading facts.

Quick Reply

Latest