The Student Room Group

Why is my generation so messed up?

Scroll to see replies

Juvenoia has always been around. When we're older we'll think the next generation is messed up. It always happens and has been happening for a long time.

This is not a new thing, stop being over dramatic.
Original post by hejraat
You're part of your generation
Dont generalise because there are some 'normal' people (if we ignore the fact that being 'normal' is an illusion)

Thanks, I've edited my post :smile:
Original post by Omar717
Juvenoia has always been around. When we're older we'll think the next generation is messed up. It always happens and has been happening for a long time.

This is not a new thing, stop being over dramatic.

Thanks, I've edited my post now :smile:
Social media doesn't make people messed up, it's complacency. Everyone nowadays is so complacent and don't see that there is more to life than getting good grades or being successful. I myself use all forms of social media but am so aware of what's going on around me and know that I actually want to do something with my life and social media kind of helps contribute to that.
Are you on social media?
Original post by 822
yeah i know what you mean. at the age of 15 i started realising how society just followed blindly into trends and actions just because everyone else was doing it.

i never cared for any of the new fashion, and people called me weird and some even called me "anti social" ironically

now I'm 17 and i think its gotten worse.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by esmiwilson
Social media doesn't make people messed up, it's complacency. Everyone nowadays is so complacent and don't see that there is more to life than getting good grades or being successful. I myself use all forms of social media but am so aware of what's going on around me and know that I actually want to do something with my life and social media kind of helps contribute to that.

Thanks, you're right :smile:
In the 19th century the youth would pass letters to each other during dinner instead of having a direct conversation. That was nearly 200 hundred years ago!

You can't just say this generation is the worst without knowing how the other generations acted.

You also can't generalise an entire generation based on what you've experienced personally.

Just my opinion, but I think this whole thing is blown way out of proportion.
Original post by Helpmepickone
well apart from insta i dont have any social media accounts
and i hardly use insta

Never used FB or Twitter, don't even know what one is supposed to do on Instagram.

All I have is TSR. C:
WOW. I've never heard anyone say that before! What a smart girl you are!
Original post by Omar717
In the 19th century the youth would pass letters to each other during dinner instead of having a direct conversation. That was nearly 200 hundred years ago!

You can't just say this generation is the worst without knowing how the other generations acted.

You also can't generalise an entire generation based on what you've experienced personally.

Just my opinion, but I think this whole thing is blown way out of proportion.

Thanks; I have already edited my post. I didn't mean to sound like I was generalising, so I'm sorry if I offended you or anyone else :smile:
Original post by Tom Jickleson
WOW. I've never heard anyone say that before! What a smart girl you are!

All I was saying is that, personally, I haven't met anyone that shares my opinions before; but, as many misconstrued what I said, I have edited my post. Sorry if I offended you :smile:
Original post by KirstyBishop
Seriously, why is my generation so messed up? They are so obsessed and entangled in social media and technology that they are missing so much of their lives; some aren't even aware of what's going on around them. It's utterly ridiculous; why does there always have to be some new trend to follow, or some new picture on Instagram to like? Why can't we communicate properly anymore? This world is becoming so messed up and I feel as though I'm the only one noticing this out of all the people I know. And, at the age of 16, I feel as like I'm an outcast because I have no social media for people to follow me on. But, that shouldn't be the case. There are so many other issues going on around us that are far greater than any 'celebrity scandal' or Twitter post. Everyone is conforming to society's expectations these days, and it's horrible to watch...

I just feel like I am the only one seeing this. Please, can someone tell me that I'm not alone in my views?

EDITED: of course, I do know that social media is used by most generations. It's just it seems to be used in a negative way mostly by my generation. However, this is just my view: feel free to counter it if you think I am wrong :smile: Also, I do know that there are people in my generation that do not use social media; it's just I haven't met any.

I agree. The whole social media and technology obsession is annoying as hell, I hate it when people are sitting around in public with their phone in their hand with FB open, it's ridiculous. It's offensive when you speak to someone and they are on their social media while you are talking to them.
Original post by driftawaay
I agree. The whole social media and technology obsession is annoying as hell, I hate it when people are sitting around in public with their phone in their hand with FB open, it's ridiculous. It's offensive when you speak to someone and they are on their social media while you are talking to them.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 34
That's what the ones above us want. They want the generation today, and the upcoming ones to be dumb. To obey. To listen to what the media says. There's a saying: are you going to live on your knees or die on your feet? How would you interpret this? That depends on you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is this a new thing? I think not, just a change/addition in platform(s)

Original post by luminarychild
Because Hipsters

hipsters are cool... :h:
Reply 37
I only really use this - and that's mainly because by posting loads on this I distract myself from my loneliness and misery. Plus the majority of the good things that entered my life entered through this site.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KirstyBishop
Seriously, why is my generation so messed up? They are so obsessed and entangled in social media and technology that they are missing so much of their lives; some aren't even aware of what's going on around them. It's utterly ridiculous; why does there always have to be some new trend to follow, or some new picture on Instagram to like? Why can't we communicate properly anymore? This world is becoming so messed up and I feel as though I'm the only one noticing this out of all the people I know. And, at the age of 16, I feel as like I'm an outcast because I have no social media for people to follow me on. But, that shouldn't be the case. There are so many other issues going on around us that are far greater than any 'celebrity scandal' or Twitter post. Everyone is conforming to society's expectations these days, and it's horrible to watch...

I just feel like I am the only one seeing this. Please, can someone tell me that I'm not alone in my views?

EDITED: of course, I do know that social media is used by most generations. It's just it seems to be used in a negative way mostly by my generation. However, this is just my view: feel free to counter it if you think I am wrong :smile: Also, I do know that there are people in my generation that do not use social media; it's just I haven't met any.

I totally agree with where you are coming from, it was only last week when I was trying to chat to my friend who was on her phone replying to her facebook or other social media accounts (which I found to be really quite rude). I keep getting asked to join twitter and facebook but I wont due to the fact that don't want to be constantly pestered by people from school.
I really don't understand what is so great about constantly being on social media, its so much better to meet up with a friend and have a chat rather than send a billion text messages or 'like' their posts.

Hopefully now we are coming into the exam season, peoples' time will be spent revising and not on social media! :smile::biggrin:
Original post by Amellia123
I totally agree with where you are coming from, it was only last week when I was trying to chat to my friend who was on her phone replying to her facebook or other social media accounts (which I found to be really quite rude). I keep getting asked to join twitter and facebook but I wont due to the fact that don't want to be constantly pestered by people from school.
I really don't understand what is so great about constantly being on social media, its so much better to meet up with a friend and have a chat rather than send a billion text messages or 'like' their posts.

Hopefully now we are coming into the exam season, peoples' time will be spent revising and not on social media! :smile::biggrin:

Thank you!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest