The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SmaugTheTerrible
Once you throw prestige, reputation, history, employment prospects, league tables, the 'damn you go to X Uni' wow factor, selectivity, entry criteria, average Joe on the streets knowledge and international brand awareness together, these are undoubtedly the top 5 Universities in the UK.

Oxford and Cambridge
LSE and Imperial
UCL

Then all the rest come. It is safe to say that the so-called 'G5', is indeed the top 5 in the UK.

This is most definitely true! :yep:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Evil Genius
i find these threads so cringe these days.

Why top 5? No one else compares with Oxbridge in the UK, maybe LSE but that's it. They are in tier by themselves in terms of prestige.

And Imperial :tongue:
Original post by SonOfTheGun
It's funny when people say Durham though, because some of them are actually serious.

Durham imo is pretty good. The thread is only really accounting for the maths and science degrees, but for the arts Durham is probably third after Oxbridge
Original post by *Stefan*
ICL above Cambridge? UCL above LSE?

Bristol doesn't really fit in the "top 5", it's with Durham/Warwick and whatnot in terms of grouping. Maybe UCL should be added to that group as well.

Yeah IC is definitely not above Cambridge; there's not a large gap but Cambridge is clearly above the rest. UCL and LSE are debatable tbh but I don't really know where LSE stands except for Econ related courses.

Original post by ruby420
What's UCL even good for apart from medicine related subjects? Check out threads right here on tsr of people saying how bad their engineering dept is. No wonder it's only AAB for Chem Eng at UCL and A*A*AA at Imperial.

Regardless, all that matters is that you go to an IB target. There's no order.

Cambridge
Oxford
LSE
Imperial
Warwick
UCL.

UCL is good for a lot of Arts subjects such as Law, Classics etc.
Original post by Natalierm2707
seriously check the league tables cardiff is number 5 for research, and is number 3 for medicine (below oxbridge). its not a joke, and there are tonnes of med schools (pretty sure its over 50 now and universities like manchester and kings are much lower down for medicine)

what im trying to say, and using cardiff as an example is that its incredibly varied depending on course and things like that.

plus cardiff has a HUGE international population.

No.

Say this in real life, and you'll get laughed out the room. Cardiff doesn't even come within 460,000 lightyears of LSE, let alone Oxbridge.
Lol no. Warwick is not better than Durham and Bristol for the vast majority of its courses.

And it's definitely not more difficult to get into than Oxford.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Warwick maths standard offer: A*A*A 2 in step 1 or A*AA 1 in step 1.

Oxford maths standard offer: A*AA MAT Lol.

I was talking about maths not obviouslly the other courses.

Maybe tbh never looked at those types of universirites. Also warwcik stem is better than durham and bristol and stem.

Also humanities and arts are largely a waste of time so...
Original post by ruby420
What's UCL even good for apart from medicine related subjects? Check out threads right here on tsr of people saying how bad their engineering dept is. No wonder it's only AAB for Chem Eng at UCL and A*A*AA at Imperial.

Regardless, all that matters is that you go to an IB target. There's no order.

Cambridge
Oxford
LSE
Imperial
Warwick
UCL.

The UCL economics department is the top department in any field in any university in the UK for research quality. https://www.ucl.ac.uk/economics/news-library/december14/ref
Reply 47
Original post by Mihael_Keehl

Maybe tbh never looked at those types of universirites. Also warwcik stem is better than durham and bristol and stem.

Warwick gives offers almost to everyone. Oxford doesn't. Not even close in fact.

You're forgetting that Oxford has the interview process. Nonetheless, I would be very surprised if someone picked Warwick over Oxford for maths.

If you say so :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No interviews for Warwick, though. And pretty sure it's 1 in any STEP paper...
Also, Warwick hands out offers like candy.

You can't just look at what the offer is. MAT and STEP 1 aren't actually that far apart in difficulty (imo) and you get to sit step 1 later in the year and in oxford you have to pass the interview stage which is tougher than getting a 1 in step 1. STEP 1 isnt really as hard as most people make it out to be

also keep in mind a lot of the students at warwick did not end up even meeting that offer. And standard maths offer for oxford is A*A*A not A*AA
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by yl95
No interviews for Warwick, though. And pretty sure it's 1 in any STEP paper...
Also, Warwick hands out offers like candy.

Original post by MathsAstronomy12
Durham imo is pretty good. The thread is only really accounting for the maths and science degrees, but for the arts Durham is probably third after Oxbridge

Once again, the point of this top 5 list isn't to focus on small differences between one University being more reputable for a particular subject than another.

If you take everything as a whole, Durham isn't a Top 5. Warwick isn't a top 5. UCL, Imperial, Oxford, Cambridge and LSE are.
Once again, the point of this top 5 list isn't to focus on small differences between one University being more reputable for a particular subject than another.

If you take everything as a whole, Durham isn't a Top 5. Warwick isn't a top 5. UCL, Imperial, Oxford, Cambridge and LSE are.

I'm not challenging the rankings; I'm just challenging the person's view that Warwick is harder to get in than Oxford for Maths.
Original post by yl95
I'm not challenging the rankings; I'm just challenging the person's view that Warwick is harder to get in than Oxford for Maths.

there are people that think this...?
Original post by yl95

Fair enough. I wasn't aiming my comments at you, I included you because you were part of the discussion. :smile:

The point is that, even if Warwick is harder to get into Oxford for Maths (which I very much doubt), telling someone you go Oxford will make them go 'WOW'. Telling them you go to Warwick will raise an eyebrow but that's about it.
Reply 54

Are you going to UCL by any chance?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The Polymath

Spoiler

Are you going to UCL by any chance?

Posted from TSR Mobile

As a matter of fact, I have a confirmed place at UCL, but I will be turning it down for another University.

I know that you're trying to imply I have a bias, but I genuinely stood by this 'top 5' well before I had any inkling of applying, let alone getting into any of the Unis I listed.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 57
If you are talking about quality in terms of research/scientific output, then there isn't much gap between the top 5 and the top 10. Places like Edinburgh/Warwick/KIngs/Bristol are extremely close to UCL/LSE, and not that far off Oxbridge.

If you are talking about prestige then making a "'top 5" is silly, because Oxford and Cambridge are just so far ahead of the others in the eyes of the general public. Its like asking for the "top 3 most famous football teams in Scotland". Whats the point, when the top 2 are so far ahead of the rest?

Most people in America for example don't know UCL ("do you mean UCLA?"), nor do most non-academics in Europe/Asia. I doubt it has more brand recognition than U of Edinburgh for example. Imperial isn't much better known either, although LSE does have a decent international brand name. But again Oxbridge are so astronomically far ahead that a top 5 sounds silly.

If you just meant employment prospects within the UK then sure, those are probably the top 5, but again I think its misleading to say that UCL/LSE are closer to Oxbridge than they are to (e.g.) Edinburgh/Durham, unless you are talking specifically about investment banking.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by REMLewis

Spoiler

Original post by poohat
If you are talking about quality in terms of research/scientific output, then there isn't much gap between the top 5 and the top 10. Places like Edinburgh/Warwick/KIngs/Bristol are extremely close to UCL/LSE, and not that far off Oxbridge.

If you are talking about prestige then a 'top 5' is silly, because Oxford and Cambridge are just so far ahead of the others. Its like asking who the "top 3 most famous football teams in Scotland" are. When the top 2 are so far ahead of the rest, whats the point?

Most people in America for example don't know UCL ("do you mean UCLA?":wink:, nor do most non-academics in Europe/Asia. I doubt it has more brand recognition than U of Edinburgh for example. Imperial isn't much better known either, although LSE does have a decent international brand name. But again Oxbridge are so astronomically far ahead that at top 5 sounds silly.

I agree with the point about Oxbridge being vastly superior to the others. However, the point of this thread is that, if there was to be a top 5 list, these Unis are justified as being placed within it.

As it stands, UCL does have more of an international brand than Durham for example, simply because the 'London' in it's name allows it to be more well-known.

UCL has also got significantly more funding and top quality research than Edinburgh and the likes

Latest

Trending

Trending