The Student Room Group

Struggling with steering, any advice?

Hello, i am going to have my 4th driving lesson on Wednesday and i am still struggling with steering and coordination. I don't know if it's because i steer the wheel too much or little but i can't keep the car to the left and in balance. For some reason i have more trouble with this part than i thought. Any advice?

Scroll to see replies

When I first started learning to drive, my steering was a bit wobbly as well. You'll get the hang of it after a while, it just takes practice :smile:
Original post by Leviathan1741
When I first started learning to drive, my steering was a bit wobbly as well. You'll get the hang of it after a while, it just takes practice :smile:

I am worried i will not be good at it. How long did it take you to get a hang of it?
Original post by Don'tworryME
I am worried i will not be good at it. How long did it take you to get a hang of it?

It took me maybe 6 or 7 lessons to get decent at it. My steering is still a bit wobbly for the first few minutes of each lesson, and I've had about 24 now haha. Driving is often a completely foreign activity when you start learning, so don't worry about not getting everything right straight away :smile:
Reply 4
It is something that comes with practice. Do you have access to another vehicle to practice? A bit of driving around a nice quiet industrial estate (in the evening) might help. Eventually it will become something you don't need to conciously think about.
Original post by Talon
It is something that comes with practice. Do you have access to another vehicle to practice? A bit of driving around a nice quiet industrial estate (in the evening) might help. Eventually it will become something you don't need to conciously think about.

No, i don't. I am going to have a lesson today at 12:30. I did have some steering practice 2 weeks ago and i was alright with quiet roads, but when i went onto the main roads i did terribly.
Original post by Leviathan1741
It took me maybe 6 or 7 lessons to get decent at it. My steering is still a bit wobbly for the first few minutes of each lesson, and I've had about 24 now haha. Driving is often a completely foreign activity when you start learning, so don't worry about not getting everything right straight away :smile:

Ah, i had to cancel one lesson today because i was too much under stress. I have managed to get better at steering and coordination during the first lesson but then i started to have problems with clutch control which completely put me off as i thought i have finally managed to master steering and coordination. It was just too much for me to handle.I told my instructor i won't be driving for a few months as i am not ready or confident about it.
i know it can be quite repetetive and boring when people say 'it'll get better wih time' but it honestly does. you just learn the size of your car and that.
i think my mistake was trying to learn and perfect everything too early on in my lessons.
basically just chill and dont worry, you will get the hang of it
Original post by chickenfoot
i know it can be quite repetetive and boring when people say 'it'll get better wih time' but it honestly does. you just learn the size of your car and that.
i think my mistake was trying to learn and perfect everything too early on in my lessons.
basically just chill and dont worry, you will get the hang of it

I did get better at it today, but then i started to lose my clutch control and i freaked out when i was out driving with other cars. It was just too much to handle for me. I won't be taking any lessons anytime soon.
I did get better at it today, but then i started to lose my clutch control and i freaked out when i was out driving with other cars. It was just too much to handle for me. I won't be taking any lessons anytime soon.

no keep it up. i went through this. you WILL get it.
no keep it up. i went through this. you WILL get it.

I don't know. I seem to lose account of what i am doing when i am on the road and see cars coming out of nowhere, I forget to look in mirrors, control the clutch and then BAM! the car stalls and i get freaked out. This doesn't happen always to me, but it usually does. I want to try and have a lesson with a female instructor to see if how much of an impact it will make on my driving. Could a female instructor have an impact on me compared to a male?
I don't know. I seem to lose account of what i am doing when i am on the road and see cars coming out of nowhere, I forget to look in mirrors, control the clutch and then BAM! the car stalls and i get freaked out. This doesn't happen always to me, but it usually does. I want to try and have a lesson with a female instructor to see if how much of an impact it will make on my driving. Could a female instructor have an impact on me compared to a male?

honestly i was the same! i never thought id be able to drive manual! im a very anxious person as well. and now i confidently feel like i could drive independently. just dont give up, that's the best advice.
i dont know if a female driver will make much difference but if that's your preference.

i understand that it's soo difficult though. it requires so much concentration and precision.
when you stall just stay calm. put the handbrake up, get yourself ready and bring up the clutch SLOWLY!
Reply 12
You'll get there, just gotta keep a clear mind

Posted from TSR Mobile
honestly i was the same! i never thought id be able to drive manual! im a very anxious person as well. and now i confidently feel like i could drive independently. just dont give up, that's the best advice.
i dont know if a female driver will make much difference but if that's your preference.

i understand that it's soo difficult though. it requires so much concentration and precision.
when you stall just stay calm. put the handbrake up, get yourself ready and bring up the clutch SLOWLY!

I thought when you want to slow down you press the clutch all the way down and then you need to slowly press the brake. Then when you speed up you slowly bring the clutch up, is that right?
Reply 14
I thought when you want to slow down you press the clutch all the way down and then you need to slowly press the brake. Then when you speed up you slowly bring the clutch up, is that right?

When you slow down you only need to use the clutch if you change gear

Posted from TSR Mobile

no. when you want to stop thats when you put the clutch in. if you only want to slow down then just use the brake. only put the clutch in when you need to change gear
for example youre slowing down from 3rd to 2nd, press the brake in, and change gear at about 15mph(give or take, depends on the car) (sorry if its getting a bit technical)

when youre moving off bring the clutch up slowly and press the gas a little bit
(edited 8 years ago)
Ah, i had to cancel one lesson today because i was too much under stress. I have managed to get better at steering and coordination during the first lesson but then i started to have problems with clutch control which completely put me off as i thought i have finally managed to master steering and coordination. It was just too much for me to handle.I told my instructor i won't be driving for a few months as i am not ready or confident about it.

That's a good idea I think, if you don't feel confident or ready to start driving, then you'll struggle more. Learning to drive is difficult, and it's normal to find things hard, everyone learns at different rates. It's a good idea to get your anxiety sorted first though, so then things won't feel so overwhelming when you come back to it :smile:
no. when you want to stop thats when you put the clutch in. if you only want to slow down then just use the brake. only put the clutch in when you need to change gear
for example youre slowing down from 3rd to 2nd, press the brake in, and change gear at about 15mph(give or take, depends on the car) (sorry if its getting a bit technical)

when youre moving off bring the clutch up slowly and press the gas a little bit

Why my instructor tell me to press the clutch all the way down to slow down then and then up again when speeding up? he was talking about crippling up or something.
Why my instructor tell me to press the clutch all the way down to slow down then and then up again when speeding up? he was talking about crippling up or something.

i have no idea. unless youre changing gear or youre in 1st gear then your foot shouldn't be on the clutch
i have no idea. unless youre changing gear or youre in 1st gear then your foot shouldn't be on the clutch

Yes, i was in the first gear. How does that matter?

Latest

Trending

Trending