The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge 2016 Postgraduate Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1000
does anyone know when might the application for the Cambridge Bursary (http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/univ/cambridgebursary/) for 2016/17 open?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by flypusher
I wasn't expecting anything and out of the blue I just received his email for a conditional offer!! I guess there is some time before I get the official conditional offer and start celebrating.

I guess it can differ depending on the department, but I recall my Self-Service Account saying to wait to accept conditional offers until I received an official email. I received a letter about three weeks later, but I'm pretty sure the email is your official conditional offer.

There is still the issue of funding though. [...] Any suggestions regarding other external scholarships suitable for married students with kids? women?

Start Googling. Really. There are bound to be external scholarships out there, but you may have to do some digging to find them.
Original post by jencvo
does anyone know when might the application for the Cambridge Bursary (http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/univ/cambridgebursary/) for 2016/17 open?

I *think* bursaries are only for undergraduate students?
Original post by gutenberg

Gutenberg is right!

"Are you eligible for a Cambridge Bursary?If you can answer 'yes' to the following questions, it is likely that you will be eligible for a Cambridge Bursary.

Is this your first full-time undergraduate degree?

Are you in receipt of a government living cost grant?"

source: http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/univ/cambridgebursary/uk/

Under EU, it's basically the same format:

Will this be your first full-time undergraduate degree?

source:http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/univ/cambridgebursary/eu/
Hello,
This is my first post..
I had an interview earlier this week for a PhD studentship and yesterday was told I didn't make the top 2 places, but was 'close' and that if one of the other students gets alternative funding I could be offered the studentship. I also have another interview at the same department in a few weeks, which has 30 places, so I'm really hoping I can snap up one of those.
I failed a first year chemistry module, and got a D at A-level so I've not done too bad!
So I had my Skype interview yesterday with my prospective supervisor and another faculty member. The professor told me he had another person to interview next week so he would let me know about his decision in a week. I wasn't expecting anything and out of the blue I just received his email for a conditional offer!! I guess there is some time before I get the official conditional offer and start celebrating.

There is still the issue of funding though :frown: I was banking on Commonwealth scholarship but I did not get nominated. I have applied for Gates but it is too competitive and I think Cambridge Trust Scholarships do not support dependents. Any suggestions regarding other external scholarships suitable for married students with kids? women?

What subject was this for?
Original post by panndapie
Applied in September for F&E...still under consideration!

Wow, I don't know what I'd do if I had to wait that long! :eek: Time is going slowly as it is! :lol:

Hopefully you'll hear from them quite soon :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1007
Original post by gutenberg

oh I see, that is unfortunate. thank you guys!
Has anyone from the History Faculty who is applying for an MPhil heard back yet? If so, are you an International or UK applicant?
Original post by Allegri
Hello,
This is my first post..
I had an interview earlier this week for a PhD studentship and yesterday was told I didn't make the top 2 places, but was 'close' and that if one of the other students gets alternative funding I could be offered the studentship. I also have another interview at the same department in a few weeks, which has 30 places, so I'm really hoping I can snap up one of those.
I failed a first year chemistry module, and got a D at A-level so I've not done too bad!

Good luck on your next interview! What course is it for?
Original post by elysium11
Has anyone from the History Faculty who is applying for an MPhil heard back yet? If so, are you an International or UK applicant?

I believe someone just had their interview for an MPhil in World History, so it does seem like the department is in the process of actively contacting/evaluating people.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Impune
I believe someone just and their interview for an MPhil in World History, so it does seem like the department is in the process of actively contacting/evaluating people.

Thank you :smile:
Original post by biologynerd95
Good luck on your next interview! What course is it for?

It's for a Chemistry PhD via the BBSRC DTP in Biological Sciences.
What have you applied for/are applying for?
Hi all, just wondering if anybody might be able to help me. My application has been 'under consideration' for the past three months. I receive my first semester module and dissertation grades in the next few days, which will essentially decide whether I will graduate with a first or not. If these are all comfortable firsts, would it be wise to email the department and tell them that I am certainly going to achieve a first class honours degree, or not? The course asks for at least a 2.1, but I know that the vast majority of people will have higher than that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by tsukurutazaki
Hi all, just wondering if anybody might be able to help me. My application has been 'under consideration' for the past three months. I receive my first semester module and dissertation grades in the next few days, which will essentially decide whether I will graduate with a first or not. If these are all comfortable firsts, would it be wise to email the department and tell them that I am certainly going to achieve a first class honours degree, or not? The course asks for at least a 2.1, but I know that the vast majority of people will have higher than that.

Why not get one of your referees to do that? It might seem a little more reliable if it came from them.
Reply 1015
Hi all,

Apologies if this question has been asked earlier in the forum, but ... I intend to apply for the MPhil in Public Policy. Is there any advantage in applying prior to the 25 February deadline?

It seems, based on this forum, that Cambridge assesses applications and makes offers on a rolling basis.

Thanks.
Original post by rdenz
Hi all,

Apologies if this question has been asked earlier in the forum, but ... I intend to apply for the MPhil in Public Policy. Is there any advantage in applying prior to the 25 February deadline?

It seems, based on this forum, that Cambridge assesses applications and makes offers on a rolling basis.

Thanks.

Per the Cambridge Graduate website:

"We advise all applicants to apply as early as possible. You should not wait until the day of the deadline to submit your application or supporting documents."

Source: http://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/how-do-i-apply/application-funding-deadlines
Original post by tsukurutazaki

You should email your potential supervisor at Cambridge with that information immediately. The same happened to me and I told her straight away and she said I'm glad you told me - that's excellent etc. Get that info to them ASAP! Just send a screenshot of grades online if you have evision or scan in an updated transcript!
Reply 1018
Original post by rdenz
Hi all,

Thanks.

Your main disadvantage by waiting is that if your references are tardy - as many people's are - it could put you out of the running entirely.
Original post by Aceadria
Why not get one of your referees to do that? It might seem a little more reliable if it came from them.

Because they are busy people and I'm not sure it's fair to keep bothering them.

Original post by omgwhat
You should email your potential supervisor at Cambridge with that information immediately. The same happened to me and I told her straight away and she said I'm glad you told me - that's excellent etc. Get that info to them ASAP! Just send a screenshot of grades online if you have evision or scan in an updated transcript!

This is really good to know, thanks! The thing is there is more than one person in the department who would be suitable for supervising my research, so I'm not sure who to contact.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending