The Student Room Group

Help with coordinate geometry question (CORE 1) ?

Hi I'm stuck on this question and I don't understand why I am not getting the answer on the mark scheme please help.

Question: A is the point (-2,6), and B is the point (3,-8). The line L is perpendicular to the line x-3y+15=0 and passes through the midpoint of AB. Find the equation of L, giving your answer in the form ax+by+c=0, where ABC are integers

Anyway this is my answer : -3x - y + 1/2 = 0

The mark scheme says the answer is .6x + 2y - 1 = 0

Upon typing this question I realised it said INTEGARS so if I multiply my answer by 2 I get
-6x -2y + 1 = 0

Is that right or is it still wrong please help me, Thank YOU :smile:
Reply 1
Yeah that's right. Because if you divide your answer by minus 1 then you get the answer on the mark scheme :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Clovers
Yeah that's right. Because if you divide your answer by minus 1 then you get the answer on the mark scheme :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Or alternatively if you add everything onto the other side :smile:
Original post by Cinna21
Hi I'm stuck on this question and I don't understand why I am not getting the answer on the mark scheme please help.

Question: A is the point (-2,6), and B is the point (3,-8). The line L is perpendicular to the line x-3y+15=0 and passes through the midpoint of AB. Find the equation of L, giving your answer in the form ax+by+c=0, where ABC are integers

Anyway this is my answer : -3x - y + 1/2 = 0

The mark scheme says the answer is .6x + 2y - 1 = 0

Upon typing this question I realised it said INTEGARS so if I multiply my answer by 2 I get
-6x -2y + 1 = 0

Is that right or is it still wrong please help me, Thank YOU :smile:

ops didn't read the whole post
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by MathsAndCompSci
No it's not. Is 12 \frac {1}{2} a integer fam?

I know I already realised that read everything I wrote please, Thank You :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by jamestg
Or alternatively if you add everything onto the other side :smile:

So its definitely right ?? Thanks for your help :P
Reply 6
Original post by Clovers

Posted from TSR Mobile

So its right then ? Phewy Thanks :smile:
When you get to y= -3x + 1/2 , you need to get rid of the fraction first by multiplying the whole equation by 2, before you put the equation into the form ax+by+c=0
Reply 8
Original post by jessyjellytot14
When you get to y= -3x + 1/2 , you need to get rid of the fraction first by multiplying the whole equation by 2, before you put the equation into the form ax+by+c=0

I will remember that thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest