The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jamestg
I would agree with what you're saying about IB, law and medicine - but not consultancy.

Providing you go to a decent uni, doing a decent degree and you get a 2:1 or a first - you would have the same chance as any one else.

And consultancy is so widespread, it's not just the big firms offering graduate schemes. In some cases you don't even need to go to uni to do consultancy, even with a top firm - they offer very attractive apprenticeships.

You're referring to consulting in general, but he's referring to management/strategy consulting specifically, which is very elitist.
Original post by Zweihander
You're referring to consulting in general, but he's referring to management/strategy consulting specifically, which is very elitist.

Yeah I meant at firms like Mckinsey/Bain/BCG as a graduate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 82
Cambridge
Imperial
Oxford
LSE
UCL
Reply 83
I think its a myth that Warwick is unknown outside of UK. They get plenty of research stduents from the worlds best Mathematics/Economics Schools and most people take international rankings with a pinch of salt.

In domestic rankings Warwick outranks UCL in every different league table (Guardian, CUG and Times) and most people when looking to apply to universities in a different countries look for domestic league tables and Warwick always appears in the top 10 for most subjects and in the top 4 for Maths/Economics/Business so most people will be aware of Warwick (heck they have 40% international students) this G5 group is as silly as russel group imo.

I believe it wont make a difference in your life if you go to LSE/Imperial/Warwick/Durham the only real elite universities are Oxford and Cambridge.
Im gonna do more than five cos I feel like it

Oxford/Cambridge
Imperial/ UCL
LSE/Warwick/Durham
Edinburgh/St Andrews/KCL
Original post by SmaugTheTerrible
Warwick and Durham don't necessarily have the same 'international brand image' as the other 5.

Why is this a relevant factor? Are you just taking your degree so that you can impress random people in random countries?
Cambridge
Oxford
Imperial/LSE
Warwick
Top 5 there you go
Original post by morgan8002
Why is this a relevant factor? Are you just taking your degree so that you can impress random people in random countries?

No. If your University is well-known and well-regarded internationally, it allows you to get better jobs.
Top 6 for me

Cambridge
Oxford
Imperial
LSE
UCL/Warwick
Original post by HangeeTw
Cambridge
Oxford
Imperial/LSE
Warwick
Top 5 there you go

Good joke. Put UCL in there and you may have some ground to stand on. UCL not in the top 5 but Warwick is? Don't make me laugh
Original post by morgan8002

If you ever want to work abroad in a competitive field this is quite a big factor.
Original post by Penner1990
Top 6 for me

Cambridge
Oxford
Imperial
LSE
UCL/Warwick

5 is a nice round number. Somethings gotta go, and I'm afraid it's Warwick.
No. If your University is well-known and well-regarded internationally, it allows you to get better jobs.

Original post by Bloxorus
If you ever want to work abroad in a competitive field this is quite a big factor.

Oh, ok. I thought employers did a bit more research.
Cambridge
Oxford
Imperial
LSE
Warwick

If i had to take out one it would be UCL but hey we are all entitled to our opinions.
Original post by Penner1990
If i had to take out one it would be UCL but hey we are all entitled to our opinions.

So true.
I believe it wont make a difference in your life if you go to LSE/Imperial/Warwick/Durham the only real elite universities are Oxford and Cambridge.

This!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 97
Original post by Bloxorus

This might apply as a fresh graduate, not if you're going as an experienced hire..

Why are you so pro UCL on this thread. Numerous people have doubted it's place. You say you have a place there.....
So which uni are you gonna go to instead? Presumably Oxbridge or ICL/LSE.
Original post by EtherealNymph22
Why are you so pro UCL on this thread. Numerous people have doubted it's place. You say you have a place there.....
So which uni are you gonna go to instead? Presumably Oxbridge or ICL/LSE.

Because everyone who is doubting UCL, is pushing Warwick in its place. If you feel that UCL doesn't deserve to be there, than that's more than true of Warwick as well.

I've actually chosen LSE instead of UCL, so I'm not particularly bias in favour of UCL by any mean. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending