The Student Room Group

Muslim girl but want a nose job

Hello,
I am very insecure about the shape and size of my nose. Growing up my nose was proportionate to my face but in primary school I had tripped and fell face flat on concrete which resulted in my nose having a large bump and hook shape. I constantly worry about other people staring at my nose or make fun of it and when I'm in public I try to cover my nose with my hand. I dont like being in photos because of how horrible my nose looks and it's generally had a massive effect on my self confidence. I was wondering if its considered haram to get rhinoplasty to fix the bump.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
so get one...
it's not haraam but maybe depends on the sect you follow :/
Surely a nose job can't be haram!
Get one but why did you add Muslim girl in the title?
Original post by Kamran Fazal

Presumably because she wants her answer to be relating to Islam and what is acceptable under an Islamic framework.
Reply 5
Because my family says its haram to get rhinoplasty done and I wanted to know if that really is the case
Sorry how is it haram? Genuinely curious on this, is it because you are changing your body which was created by Allah?
Original post by Anonymous
Because my family says its haram to get rhinoplasty done and I wanted to know if that really is the case

Oh okay. As you said that you fell which deformed your nose so i think its not haram to get the nose job done.
Reply 8
Original post by homeland.lsw
Sorry how is it haram? Genuinely curious on this, is it because you are changing your body which was created by Allah?
I think that is the reason why people say cosmetic surgery is haram. However, the bump on my nose was due to me injurying my nose rather than my genetics as everyone else in my family has generally nicely shaped noses so I'm quite confused on this

It's not haram.

In the case where you're repairing or 'fixing' your appearance (i.e. removing the bump that exists as a result of your collision with the concrete ground), it is fine.

It is frowned upon when someone gets plastic surgery for no real reason other than vanity. (e.g. breast enlargement).
Hello,
I am very insecure about the shape and size of my nose. Growing up my nose was proportionate to my face but in primary school I had tripped and fell face flat on concrete which resulted in my nose having a large bump and hook shape. I constantly worry about other people staring at my nose or make fun of it and when I'm in public I try to cover my nose with my hand. I dont like being in photos because of how horrible my nose looks and it's generally had a massive effect on my self confidence. I was wondering if its considered haram to get rhinoplasty to fix the bump.

Well, I'm not a scholar first of all, so it's more preferable to ask a sheikh on that matter, :smile:but as far as I know,

operations that are done to remove faults, such as those that result from sickness, traffic accidents, burns, etc. or to remove congenital defects with which a person was born, such as to remove an extra digit or separate fused digits, etc. This kind of operation is permissible.

So it's NOT haram!

There is evidence in the Sunnah to indicate that they are permissible and that the one who does them does not intend to change the creation of Allaah.

It was narrated from ‘Arfajah ibn As’ad that he lost his nose in the battle of al-Kulaab during the Jaahiliyyah, so he wore a nose made of silver but it became putrid, so the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told him to wear a nose made of gold.
Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 1770; Abu Dawood, 4232; al-Nasaa’i, 5161.
(edited 8 years ago)
I think that is the reason why people say cosmetic surgery is haram. However, the bump on my nose was due to me injurying my nose rather than my genetics as everyone else in my family has generally nicely shaped noses so I'm quite confused on this

Generally I would say whatever YOU think is best for you. Obviously I am not Muslim so I can't say anything else. Really if you want it, can afford it why not?
Original post by A Young Doctor

It is frowned upon when someone gets plastic surgery for no real reason other than vanity. (e.g. breast enlargement).

Is that because women are encouraged to be modest?

Googling this would arguably provide better and more authoritative answers...
Cut it with a knife?

Yes I am sure it's acceptable.

If it is affecting your self esteem, then You should go do what You feel is necessary for your happiness.
(edited 8 years ago)

because it's haraam to even shape your eyebrows for girls in Islam, so reshaping your nose is ....

OP get a nosejob since it's affecting your life - it's not a huge sin to change something that you hate
Is that because women are encouraged to be modest?

It also applies to men. (e.g. chin implant).

I don't consider my self an authority on Islam so can't answer with complete confidence on the reasoning behind it. But from what I understand, it's disliked in both genders because Islam teaches that humans were created in their best form by God and that by unnecessarily changing their appearance they are demonstrating their lack of appreciation and gratefulness towards God. That said, cosmetic surgery for no reason other than wanting to be more attractive is not a massive sin - even if a lot of the fear-mongering Muslim population will tell you otherwise. I think the philosophical lesson that was meant to be derived from this, is that one should be comfortable and happy with their own appearance.
(edited 8 years ago)
It is not haram you fell and broke your nose which caused a bump and your having a surgery to remove a bump. Your removing it because you have a problem and you feel unconfortable. Your not removing it to look prettier
Original post by A Young Doctor
It also applies to men. (e.g. chin implant).

I don't consider my self an authority on Islam so can't answer with complete confidence on the reasoning behind it. But from what I understand, it's disliked in both genders because Islam teaches that humans were created in their best form by God and that by unnecessarily changing their appearance is considered ungrateful. That said, cosmetic surgery for no reason other than wanting to be more attractive is not a massive sin - even if a lot of the fear-mongering Muslim population will tell you otherwise. I think the philosophical lesson that was meant to be derived from this, is that one should be comfortable and happy with their own appearance.

I see, learn something new everyday

Latest

Trending

Trending