The Student Room Group

Would it be a bad idea to live at home whilst studying medicine?

Let's say someone got accepted into a uni thats not too far from their house, their parents understand the stress and will let you study however you want, they'll cook for you, clean your laundry etc., you can snuggle up in your bed without having to worry about extra debts.

However could one still make good friends, join a society, keep up with the schedule, experience the student life?

Let's also say that the person doesn't drink, isn't the person that goes out to nightclubs, and isn't someone who would go to people's rooms and get naughty.
its all good
Original post by geniequeen48
Let's say someone got accepted into a uni thats not too far from their house, their parents understand the stress and will let you study however you want, they'll cook for you, clean your laundry etc., you can snuggle up in your bed without having to worry about extra debts.

However could one still make good friends, join a society, keep up with the schedule, experience the student life?

Let's also say that the person doesn't drink, isn't the person that goes out to nightclubs, and isn't someone who would go to people's rooms and get naughty.

One could, yes. There's certainly nothing to stop you from doing it.

But the way you've written it, one would end up having a fairly boring time imho - sounds like school, except you'd have a uni ID card. You wouldn't experience a degree of independence or living with friends/flatmates, much less the alcohol fuelled debauchery and "naughtiness in people's rooms" which form many students' fondest memories of uni...

Cooking, laundry etc are actually not that time consuming and are activities which an 18 year old should be able to cope with (relatively speaking) - they're certainly not a reason to be staying around at home. Uni beds are actually pretty comfortable, so you'd be able to snuggle just fine :wink:

The debt sucks without a doubt, but depending on where your medical school is, halls/renting might not be that bad, and there would be loans available. I do understand that it's unnecessary debt and many people would want to avoid that, but for me, uni is about a lot more than just classes - I love my family, but I'd have gone bonkers living at home full time past the age of 18.

It's also worth bearing in mind that once you hit the clinical years, your medical school will start sending you on distant placements. For some of these, the only sensible option will be to live out in the hospital. Others will be within commuting distance, but you'll be doing an extra amount of commuting since you're travelling further to home.
wow, this is scarily accurate to what I want to do...
Original post by homeland.lsw
wow, this is scarily accurate to what I want to do...

Haha xD
Oh okay, that's interesting. Do you know any medical students who live at home?
Original post by Democracy
One could, yes. There's certainly nothing to stop you from doing it.

But the way you've written it, one would end up having a fairly boring time imho - sounds like school, except you'd have a uni ID card. You wouldn't experience a degree of independence or living with friends/flatmates, much less the alcohol fuelled debauchery and "naughtiness in people's rooms" which form many students' fondest memories of uni...

Cooking, laundry etc are actually not that time consuming and are activities which an 18 year old should be able to cope with (relatively speaking) - they're certainly not a reason to be staying around at home. Uni beds are actually pretty comfortable, so you'd be able to snuggle just fine :wink:

The debt sucks without a doubt, but depending on where your medical school is, halls/renting might not be that bad, and there would be loans available. I do understand that it's unnecessary debt and many people would want to avoid that, but for me, uni is about a lot more than just classes - I love my family, but I'd have gone bonkers living at home full time past the age of 18.

It's also worth bearing in mind that once you hit the clinical years, your medical school will start sending you on distant placements. For some of these, the only sensible option will be to live out in the hospital. Others will be within commuting distance, but you'll be doing an extra amount of commuting since you're travelling further to home.
Original post by geniequeen48
Oh okay, that's interesting. Do you know any medical students who live at home?

Personally no. People tend to want to develop their independence and become adults at uni. The living alone bit is almost as important as the education bit.

Having said that, I do know some doctors that went to live with their parents again after uni. Its more common in certain cultures.
Reply 7
I know multiple medical students who live at home, all of them happen to be Indian. They seem to get on fine as far as I can tell

I think if you are living within commuting distance of your medical school and don't mind the prospect of continuing to live with your parents, it just makes sense to live at home. You'll get the experience of independence when you move out, whenever that happens to be. And if it doesn't work out you can always move out during the degree as well

That said, I think the biggest factor into whether it will work out is your own personality. Are you the type of person who will make the effort to go out and make friends and join societies, or will you stay at home because it's easier? Think about what you need socially

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending