The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Where would Bath lie?
Original post by jamestg
Will this circle-jerk of listing top unis end...

Each person has a different set of requirements and should measure unis based on their own variables. I get people want to go to the best uni possible, I do too, but we could spend a little less time obsessing and a bit more time working? :redface:

Oxford could be the best for one student, but Bath could be the best for another.

Also league tables are pointless, they change frequently and their methodologies are varied. As long as a uni is valued by employers and good for that subject in its own right, it's a decent uni to go to.

Completely right! You also have to take into account the subject. Oxford and Cambridge are not the best at every course, for example.
Original post by Grewsters
Where would Bath lie?

Good Uni within the UK, all but unknown outside of it.

I should think it lies somewhere in the top 10-13 mark.
Whilst these are all fantastic uni's, I'm not debating that, somewhere like Imperial is completely irrelevant to someone wanting to study an arts or humantities degree like English Lit. or History for example. Not all uni's offer relevant courses for an individual, lets just remember that :smile:
1. Wolverhampton
2. Bolton
3. Northumbria
4. Oxford Brooks
5. Coventry

Don't even bother arguing.
"Top 5". Depends hugely on the course, there are plenty of unis that are way above these "Top 5" in certain subjects.
Original post by SmaugTheTerrible
Once you throw prestige, reputation, history, employment prospects, league tables, the 'damn you go to X Uni' wow factor, selectivity, entry criteria, average Joe on the streets knowledge and international brand awareness together, these are undoubtedly the top 5 Universities in the UK.

Oxford and Cambridge
LSE and Imperial
UCL

Then all the rest come. It is safe to say that the so-called 'G5', is indeed the top 5 in the UK.

Between these universities which is the best research oriented university and also the best at computer science.
Original post by Terry Tibbs
"Top 5". Depends hugely on the course, there are plenty of unis that are way above these "Top 5" in certain subjects.

Which is why this an 'Overall' list.

Don't want to get hung up on minor course differences.

Let's say Columbia is better than Harvard for History. That doesn't change the fact that Harvard is overall the much better and more prestigious University.
Original post by Paranoid_Glitch
Between these universities which is the best research oriented university and also the best at computer science.

All are brilliant. Imperial is very well known for the Sciences.

Overall, Oxbridge are clearly the best.
Original post by Free_Icecream_Yo
1. Wolverhampton
2. Bolton
3. Northumbria
4. Oxford Brooks
5. Coventry

Don't even bother arguing.

do you even london met bro
Original post by Student403
do you even london met bro

This is top 5, not top 10. Do not argue with me, fraternal friend.
Original post by SmaugTheTerrible
As stated above, Warwick is virtually unknown outside the UK. It has no where near as much funding, history and general clout as UCL.

In France, Warwick is more well known than UCL.
Original post by poohat
Very high for undergraduate within the UK, but not much research output (its small) and not that well known internationally (again partly due to its size).

Pretty much the same as Durham (and maybe Bath).

St Andrews is often compared to Durham and Warwick for its size but it's a lot smaller than them with about only 8,000 full-time students. Durham and Warwick are about 2x larger.

But despite that, I'd say it's more well-known outside of the UK than Bath for sure, and perhaps Durham as well. If you look at the college matriculation lists for the most elite US prep schools (e.g. Phillips Exeter, Choate Rosemary Hall, Phillips Andover, Milton Academy, Hotchkiss etc.) then St Andrews is usually one of only a few non-US universities to appear. Admittedly, this might be because of the royal alumni.

Top 4 for sure would be Oxbridge, Imperial and LSE though (debatable who 5th would be) :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Handeco
I think its a myth that Warwick is unknown outside of UK. They get plenty of research stduents from the worlds best Mathematics/Economics Schools and most people take international rankings with a pinch of salt.

In domestic rankings Warwick outranks UCL in every different league table (Guardian, CUG and Times) and most people when looking to apply to universities in a different countries look for domestic league tables and Warwick always appears in the top 10 for most subjects and in the top 4 for Maths/Economics/Business so most people will be aware of Warwick (heck they have 40% international students) this G5 group is as silly as russel group imo.

I believe it wont make a difference in your life if you go to LSE/Imperial/Warwick/Durham the only real elite universities are Oxford and Cambridge.

Going to Imperial and LSE help for careers prospects especially due to the location and the numerous top employers that come regularly to campuses. Definitely less so for international but for the most competitive jobs in this country, definitely an advantage.
Imperial also has very good links with top employers from many industries whether that be Department specific or not.
Original post by Mathematicus65
1. Oxford
2. Imperial College
3. Cambridge
4. UCL
5. Bristol / LSE

LMAO Bristol, that should be no where near the likes of LSE
1) Bath
2) Bath
3) Bath
4) Bath
5) Brighton
Oxbridge doesn't even offer the best degree in the country, so they're ****

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Grewsters
Where would Bath lie?

Bath is too much of a specialized Uni(Business and Sciences) to be taken too seriously in these types of discussions.. So are LSE and Imperial, but they are special exceptional cases.
Original post by Foxab77
LMAO Bristol, that should be no where near the likes of LSE

In what sense?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zayn Malik
Oxbridge doesn't even offer the best degree in the country, so they're ****

Posted from TSR Mobile

What degree is that?

Latest