The Student Room Group

Year 11's: are you taking part in the NCS scheme?

If so, what made you want to sign up?

Scroll to see replies

What is it? :smile:
Reply 2
No, are you?
There are so many things I want to do in the summer so I'm going to give it a miss. I'd rather apply for a summer school at LSE or Queen Mary's etc.
Original post by KirstyBishop
If so, what made you want to sign up?

I am and my friend suggested it but also it'll take my mind of results day!
Original post by ScienceFantatic
I am and my friend suggested it but also it'll take my mind of results day!

Original post by mxskaan
No, are you?
There are so many things I want to do in the summer so I'm going to give it a miss. I'd rather apply for a summer school at LSE or Queen Mary's etc.

What do they do at those schools?
Reply 6
Original post by ScienceFantatic
What do they do at those schools?

Well because I want to be a dentist in the future I think doing a summer school at Queen Marys would be good. On the website it says
The Summer Schools includes:

A number of practical sessions (including a simulated A&E scenario day)

A PBL-based research project culminating in a presentation at the end of the week

The opportunity to meet and speak to current Queen Mary Medicine and Dentistry students

A number of advice and guidance sessions designed to maximise chances of achieving an offer

I guess they just let you feel what it's like at university.
Original post by surina16
What is it? :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmWrP-n25VQ

Hope this is informative enough :smile: They also have a website :smile:
I want to but not for the summer one, they do shorter ones in autumn and easter
Original post by mxskaan
No, are you?

I'm not too sure yet. They gave an assembly at my school, and it sounded pretty cool :smile:
Original post by defenestrated
I want to but not for the summer one, they do shorter ones in autumn and easter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmWrP-n25VQ

Hope this is informative enough :smile: They also have a website :smile:

Ah okay thanks, looks so cool but tbh I think I'd be really bad at the sports activities they do :biggrin:
I'm not too sure yet. They gave an assembly at my school, and it sounded pretty cool :smile:

Yeah we also had an assembly a while ago. I'd say go for it, you'll make new friends and it's a great opportunity. I'm such a hypocrite for not going but I have such as tight schedule for the summer like i'm doing 2 weeks work experience, 2 weeks holiday, 1 week summer school (hopefully!), 1 week sixth form induction. I also might teach myself some of the a level content so i'm extra prepared for september :smile:
Ah okay thanks, looks so cool but tbh I think I'd be really bad at the sports activities they do :biggrin:

ahaha same, but there are 3 phases (it isn't just sports...thankfully ahaha). I encourage you to watch 'The Journey' video on their YouTube page :smile: It explains all 3 phases :smile:
Original post by mxskaan
Yeah we also had an assembly a while ago. I'd say go for it, you'll make new friends and it's a great opportunity. I'm such a hypocrite for not going but I have such as tight schedule for the summer like i'm doing 2 weeks work experience, 2 weeks holiday, 1 week summer school (hopefully!), 1 week sixth form induction. I also might teach myself some of the a level content so i'm extra prepared for september :smile:

Thanks :smile: ahaha I'm also thinking of doing some work experience and preparation for sixth form :smile:

I did NCS a couple of years ago and I'm hopeless at sports! Honestly, you can opt out of something if you really don't want to do it, but most people will be at the same level as you and it's a really relaxed atmosphere so your sports don't matter. I would recommend it to anyone I had a great time! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am! I have a confirmed place already! I decided to go because I want to just do something. I think that the new people, new oppurtunities and voluntering that it offers is amazing.
Original post by Koalafications
I did NCS a couple of years ago and I'm hopeless at sports! Honestly, you can opt out of something if you really don't want to do it, but most people will be at the same level as you and it's a really relaxed atmosphere so your sports don't matter. I would recommend it to anyone I had a great time! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know your comment wasn't directed towards me, but as you have already done NCS, did you have to do any presentations or public speaking in front of a large crowd? :smile:
Original post by Edosawr
I am! I have a confirmed place already! I decided to go because I want to just do something. I think that the new people, new oppurtunities and voluntering that it offers is amazing.

Thanks :smile: Would you consider it as 'stepping out of your comfort zone'? If so, how have you moved past this?
Thanks :smile: Would you consider it as 'stepping out of your comfort zone'? If so, how have you moved past this?

Yeah I'm definitely stepping outside of my comfort zone. At first, the day after I signed up, I was really starting to regret it. Then, I thought: "you know what, I might as well just get over it and just enjoy it". I'm really looking forward to it now and I just think it'll be totally worth it!

(watching videos of people who had done it before really helps)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending