The Student Room Group

S1 Alevel - Histograms

Can someone just explain to me this K value involved in histograms.

I have just been used to the frequency = cw x FD

But now you have to factor in a K value. I dont think the EDEXEL S1 book explains it very well....

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by christinajane
Can someone just explain to me this K value involved in histograms.

I have just been used to the frequency = cw x FD

But now you have to factor in a K value. I dont think the EDEXEL S1 book explains it very well....

Thanks

K is generally the constant we factor in when we want to equate an expression of proportionality. The area of the histogram (i.e. CW x FD) is proportional to the frequency.

i.e. Area α Frequency.
We just introduce K such that: Area = k x Frequency

You will come across a question where you have to calculate the frequency and it turns out that multiplying CW by FD doesn't give you it. That's where K comes in.
Original post by RMNDK
K is generally the constant we factor in when we want to equate an expression of proportionality. The area of the histogram (i.e. CW x FD) is proportional to the frequency.

i.e. Area α Frequency.
We just introduce K such that: Area = k x Frequency

You will come across a question where you have to calculate the frequency and it turns out that multiplying CW by FD doesn't give you it. That's where K comes in.

Ha yeah - was just doing some questions from the book and I couldnt figure out why CW X FD didnt equal the frequency as it does when you do histogram questions in GCSE.

I really dont think the book explains it very well....unless Im just very stupid! Probably the latter...

Quick Reply

Latest