The Student Room Group

HELP- How should I go about revising now, for the exams that are a few months away?

I was thinking about revising now for the exams in a few months I've tried to get into it, but I'm not sure whats the best way to go about revising now whilst having to do school work leading up to the exams, any suggestions?
Reply 1
Notes, mind maps, and PAST PAPERS! Those are the best methods for me. :smile:
Original post by Phantomx60
I was thinking about revising now for the exams in a few months I've tried to get into it, but I'm not sure whats the best way to go about revising now whilst having to do school work leading up to the exams, any suggestions?

prioritise, for example i don't worry too much about school work unless it coursework. I usually do them the day before or during lunchtimes. Revise and do important work at home and do the other homework at school.
Reply 3
questions out of textbook then past papers starting maybe march ish
My question is, if its enough if i start revising a month before the exams? I mean 1 month for revision and past papers should be enough. If you start too early, you might forget things, and you need to revise again.
Reply 5
Thanks, any suggestions on how should I structure my revision, like how much time I should spend per day? how much time I should spend per topic?
Make all your notes now so nearer exams you can just read them and whatever then do past papers.
You could start maths past papers now since there are loads but it depends on how much you want to do and how much you think you need to do.
Reply 7
Original post by kennethdcharles
Notes, mind maps, and PAST PAPERS! Those are the best methods for me. :smile:

How do you structure your notes, since tbh I've thought note making to be quite long , so what the best way to make notes for subjects?

Did, you take Biology or Chemistry , if so how did you make notes for these subjects?
Reply 8
Revise how you learn best (e.g. by listening, seeing, with colour, or doing), and then create a revision timetable that you will follow. Even if you think you won't ever stick to it, try it because I used to be the same, but once I actually made one and made myself stick to it, everything was so much easier for me. Try not to spend too long on a topic, maybe an hour per topic with a break in between? Also, once you've revised, do a ton of past papers. Really makes a difference!
You've made the right decision to start revising now. What type of learner are you: visual, auditory, read/write, kinesthetic? Determine that and it'll be easier to work out what revision techniques will be best for you.
Reply 10
Original post by Mactotaur
You've made the right decision to start revising now. What type of learner are you: visual, auditory, read/write, kinesthetic? Determine that and it'll be easier to work out what revision techniques will be best for you.

I think I am a visual and auditory learner, mostly visual . (sorry, just edited this)
(edited 8 years ago)
I think I am a visual and auditory learner, mostly visual . (sorry, just edited this)

I'm a visual learner, and I found that because I'm good at visualisation, method of loci (a mnemonic technique) works well for me.
Reply 12
How do you structure your notes, since tbh I've thought note making to be quite long , so what the best way to make notes for subjects?

Did, you take Biology or Chemistry , if so how did you make notes for these subjects?

They may take long but that's why starting now is a good thing. It helps the information to stay in my head. I only make notes for biology chemistry and physics using my cgp revision guide (I highly recommend this)! I read through, for example, homeostasis, then I try to write it out in my own words. I like using different colours as it looks neater and more appealing to read. Then I answer questions to try to see if I fully understand.
Reply 13
Original post by Mactotaur
I'm a visual learner, and I found that because I'm good at visualisation, method of loci (a mnemonic technique) works well for me.

Thanks for the reply, any other techniques that help you as a visual learner?
Reply 14
Original post by kennethdcharles
They may take long but that's why starting now is a good thing. It helps the information to stay in my head. I only make notes for biology chemistry and physics using my cgp revision guide (I highly recommend this)! I read through, for example, homeostasis, then I try to write it out in my own words. I like using different colours as it looks neater and more appealing to read. Then I answer questions to try to see if I fully understand.

Thanks for the help, when you write it in your own words, do you just write it in short hand notes and use bullet points, or do you fully write out notes and explanations?
Reply 15
Thanks for the help, when you write it in your own words, do you just write it in short hand notes and use bullet points, or do you fully write out notes and explanations?

I use as much detail as possible. This can be in the form of bullet points or full paragraphs depending how I feel.

Quick Reply

Latest