The Student Room Group

How much of your student loan do you have left?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Caltaittt
Even if you don't see/speak your parents?

If you don't speak to your parents, you be classified as estranged and won't have to include their income. You'll probably receive more from SF because of this but you will have to provide evidence that you're estranged. If you are still in contact with one or both of your parents then you wouldn't be classed as estranged.
Original post by cherryred90s
If you don't speak to your parents, you be classified as estranged and won't have to include their income. You'll probably receive more from SF because of this but you will have to provide evidence that you're estranged. If you are still in contact with one or both of your parents then you wouldn't be classed as estranged.

Thanks,

I haven't spoken to my parents in over 3 months now. That's my only worry as I know if they were to base it on my parent's income, i'd really really struggle.

Thanks for the help.
Original post by Frostyjoe
You get £6,000 busary and then £3,000 for maintenance grant. Either way she's having a fab time, basically getting a full time wage.

9k is nowhere near a full-time wage (Minimum annual earnings for a 40 hour week would be around 13.5k).
(edited 8 years ago)
It doesn't matter. It would still get you by, you wouldn't need to worry about bills.
What would you say the average student maintenance loan is?

I go to uni in September and i'm worried that i'm not going to be able to afford to live alone. I live with my sister at the moment but i'm desperate to move out.

Cheers.

Mines is £3,500. I have to pay the rest.
I commute from home, and I am still in overdraft. Or lets say 'I was', because January installment arrived last week. :tongue:
Original post by john2054
Okay moonstruck,

well I have four cards, with a total of £4600 between them. I also subscribe to experian and noddle premium. I did have more, but I spent it on cr*p. Also I have about five hundred left in my student account i think, okay thanks!

👍

Posted from TSR Mobile
What would you say the average student maintenance loan is?

I go to uni in September and i'm worried that i'm not going to be able to afford to live alone. I live with my sister at the moment but i'm desperate to move out.

Cheers.

I'm a London uni student and mine is about £5200. No extras.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does that go far? Is London expensive?
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
:cookie:

What did you spend it on?

... be honest :lol:

I really wouldn't trust myself when it comes to student loans. I spent my first term of the Sixth Form bursary on food and video games. But now, I've realised how to spend my Sixth Form bursary; on a Physics trip to Europe.
Does that go far? Is London expensive?

It covers my rent for the uni year and leaves me a couple of hundred left over. London is very expensive so you have to be smart about where you live and what you spend your money on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How is your household income less than £5k !?

That's low but it's possible

Eg my moms a single mom and she only gets £8k per year
Thanks,

I haven't spoken to my parents in over 3 months now. That's my only worry as I know if they were to base it on my parent's income, i'd really really struggle.

Thanks for the help.

If you live with your sister, is she your carer? I guess her income will be taken into account as long as she's paying tax out of it.

If you don't speak to your parents at all and receive no help from them they wouldn't be accounted for in your household income
I have the majority of 3 years worth of maximum loan in my savings.
Original post by RonnieRJ
That's low but it's possible

Eg my moms a single mom and she only gets £8k per year

Does she work?
Does she work?

Yes but she can only work part time plus extra private jobs she can get because she used to have to work 12+hrs a day so her health just went downhill
Although I think she gets some benefit to help with the house and bills plus she's got child benefit for me. With that its still under £10k though and we just about pull through so
I don't know how people cope on an income like that. I think I've got about £4,000 to live on this year and while i'm fine with that I wouldn't want to move into a house and live on that!
Yes but she can only work part time plus extra private jobs she can get because she used to have to work 12+hrs a day so her health just went downhill
Although I think she gets some benefit to help with the house and bills plus she's got child benefit for me. With that its still under £10k though and we just about pull through so

Hm interesting that
If you live with your sister, is she your carer? I guess her income will be taken into account as long as she's paying tax out of it.

If you don't speak to your parents at all and receive no help from them they wouldn't be accounted for in your household income

Hey

I'm 20 you see so my sister wouldn't be classed as my carer. Do you think then they would base it on my income or hers?

Cheers!
I don't know how people cope on an income like that. I think I've got about £4,000 to live on this year and while i'm fine with that I wouldn't want to move into a house and live on that!

£4K after accommodation payments?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending