The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by not you
Honestly I wouldn't put St Andrew's or Durham in the same category as Nottingham or Glasgow, St Andrew's is good in its own right but academically no better than Lancaster in my opinion. Durham is genuinely forgettable, no idea what they've actually got going for them.

How is St Andrews' academics the same as Lancaster?

Original post by Princepieman
It's because St As and these schools have a special relationship. People with much lower stats than even the average home students get admitted into St As.

None of it is to do with St As being held in higher regard - I've heard of it (I have a lot of friends at the above schools) being used as a 'last resort/safety' option for people who don't get into top US/UK unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That seems slightly slanderous for you to say without any concrete evidence to be honest. "than even the average home students" - what do you mean by that? It's tougher for home students to get into than internationals because home students are funded by the Govt. and Highers and SATs/APs are not directly comparable as well.

I guess this is a matter of anecdotes but of the students I've spoken to, St Andrews is held pretty highly in regard (obviously not as high as Oxbridge/HYP etc.). But the US students I've spoken to chose St Andrews over US universities like Georgetown, Michigan, Tufts, Vanderbilt, Boston, Emory, Williams and Wellesley and UK universities like Edinburgh, Glasgow, KCL, Bristol and Manchester.
Original post by Zweihander
Warwick would be unlikely to accept someone would couldnt even spell the name of the uni

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't try and play the spelling card when I've clearly spelled it correctly every other time, mistakes happen while typing so get off your high horse Hun
Original post by Zweihander
Warwick would be unlikely to accept someone would couldnt even spell the name of the uni

Posted from TSR Mobile

are you feeling alright, hype warwick up lols, not say ucl has a bigger brand name overseas, warwick is 50 years old, wait another 50.
:biggrin:
Original post by INF10
According to international league tables UCL is better than LSE/Imperial which is a joke and which is why International league tables should never be taken seriously.

How is it a joke... University of London includes all three of them
Reply 184
Original post by SmaugTheTerrible
And the Guardian is a load of BS.

It places way to much emphasis on student satisfaction, which can be easily manipulated. Besides let me know when your 'satisfaction' gets you a job over an LSE grad.

Are you specifically attacking Warwick with the job comment? because for the most competitive jobs Warwick grads are just as competitve as LSE Grads.
Original post by INF10
Are you specifically attacking Warwick with the job comment? because for the most competitive jobs Warwick grads are just as competitve as LSE Grads.

Nope, I'm attacking your use of the Guardian league tables.

This isn't about Warwick being a rubbish Uni. It obviously isn't. My position is that UCL edges over Warwick in terms of prestige, reputation and international brand image.
Reply 186
Original post by RonnieRJ
How is it a joke... University of London includes all three of them

LSE and Imperial are clearly better than UCL academically especially Imperial.

This isn't about Warwick being a rubbish Uni. It obviously isn't. My position is that UCL edges over Warwick in terms of prestige, reputation and international brand image.

wrong, wrong, right. warwick came first for the top 100 firms grad jobs two years ago iirc, if its about quality of grad jobs offered to departing students warwick beats ucl.
Original post by INF10
LSE and Imperial are clearly better than UCL academically especially Imperial.

I see them as all the same, especially UCL and LSE. Imperial is befter for medicine though, but for science id say it's the same level as UCL.

Well have to agree to disagree
Reply 189

Fair enough I respect your opinion, mine is slightly different but yeah I Just think that Oxbridge/LSE/Warwick/UCL/Imperial/Durham are all top universities and should make you competitive in the job market.

Have a good day :smile:
I see them as all the same, especially UCL and LSE. Imperial is befter for medicine though, but for science id say it's the same level as UCL.

lol imperial is same level for science as ucl. Stop typing please lady, imperial may be the best in the country for science degrees, it probably very likely is, lol at comparing it to ucl.
Reply 191

I see Warwick as better than UCL. We are all entitled to our opinions.

Original post by welcometoib
lol imperial is same level for science as ucl. Stop typing please lady, imperial may be the best in the country for science degrees, it probably very likely is, lol at comparing it to ucl.

On this point I'm gonna disagree with you (Ronnie). UCL isn't quite on the same level as Imperial. Imperial dominates the sciences after Oxbridge.
Original post by welcometoib

Original post by INF10
I see Warwick as better than UCL. We are all entitled to our opinions.

On this point I'm gonna disagree with you (Ronnie). UCL isn't quite on the same level as Imperial. Imperial dominates the sciences after Oxbridge.

Um imperial>Oxbridge at science?? Nopeee

Doing phys at UCL would've been the same as Imperial to me. You can disagree but you can't really call my opinion wrong lol

Maybe in the quality of practical parts of science yes. Teaching would be on the same level
1) Cambridge/Oxford
2) Imperial
3) LSE
4) Warwick/UCL
5) Durham/Bristol

In terms of Warwick v. UCL? If you asked me 2 years ago, I would have said UCL. But now, Warwick edges over UCL just so slightly. But I predict Warwick will further surpass UCL in the coming years.
Don't forget most, if not all, league tables are compiled by a large number of Oxbridge grads, so no doubt there's some bias.

Just look at how much Oxbridg are mentioned in Telegraph articles.

Imperial will never be top, after all, how many Imperial grads willend up working in the media?
Reply 196

Doing phys at UCL would've been the same as Imperial to me. You can disagree but you can't really call my opinion wrong lol

You cant be serious UCL Physics department is quite poor compared to its other departments and they always give out AAB offers, Imperial is light years ahead of UCL for physics.

Maybe in the quality of practical parts of science yes. Teaching would be on the same level

I said 'after Oxbridge'. Meaning except for Oxbridge, Imperial is the best place for the Sciences.

If I am disagreeing with you, I certainly am calling your opinion 'wrong'.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by High Stakes
1) Cambridge/Oxford
2) Imperial
3) LSE
4) Warwick/UCL
5) Durham/Bristol

In terms of Warwick v. UCL? If you asked me 2 years ago, I would have said UCL. But now, Warwick edges over UCL just so slightly. But I predict Warwick will further surpass UCL in the coming years.

Agreed, To see how much Warwick have grown in 50 years is quite astonishing.
What are the ranks for a Computer Science course?

Latest