The Student Room Group

Have I screwed up?

Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong forum, I had no clue where to put it haha!

Basically I've always wanted to do maths at uni, I had doubts but it's always been my main aim. At the end of year 11 I put down further maths as one of my options but dropped it at the last minute; I took it at GCSE and got slightly put off (but only because I did no work for it whatsoever :rolleyes:).

My predicted grades are all As and I'm applying for uni this year, so I want to aim for a Russell group. However most if not all of them require Further maths as an a level (I think...) and I think it's too late to start it now :frown:

Have I screwed up my chances of doing maths at a decent uni? Thanks for any help :smile:
Original post by Babs Posh
Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong forum, I had no clue where to put it haha!

Basically I've always wanted to do maths at uni, I had doubts but it's always been my main aim. At the end of year 11 I put down further maths as one of my options but dropped it at the last minute; I took it at GCSE and got slightly put off (but only because I did no work for it whatsoever :rolleyes:).

My predicted grades are all As and I'm applying for uni this year, so I want to aim for a Russell group. However most if not all of them require Further maths as an a level (I think...) and I think it's too late to start it now :frown:

Have I screwed up my chances of doing maths at a decent uni? Thanks for any help :smile:

I would check again just to double check

But out of curiosity, have you already sent your application? The deadline to apply has passed this year...
Reply 2
Original post by cookiemonster15
I would check again just to double check

But out of curiosity, have you already sent your application? The deadline to apply has passed this year...

Ah sorry I worded it wrong, I meant to say I'm applying for 2017 entry :tongue: Thank you for the advice!
Ah sorry I worded it wrong, I meant to say I'm applying for 2017 entry :tongue: Thank you for the advice!

Ahh, Ok, that makes no sense. If I was you, I would have a list of uni's up and see which ones don't require FM, and just jot them down. I'm sure not all uni's require FM
Reply 4
Do Further Maths at home, and arrange for your sixth form to let you six the FMaths exams with the other students.

Since you do not have further maths at A level you will not be able to apply to Durham, Imperial, Cambridge, Oxford or Warwick.

However every other university is open to you.

I'd recommend you do AS further maths in year 13.

There are only a few unis that require further maths Oxbridge, imperial, durham and maybe UCL. Warwick make higher offers exceptionally high) without out and some like Bath prefer it. Please check out the others and look into Bath, Exeter, Lancaster, Birmingham, Nottingham, Southampton, Manchester, Leeds, Cardiff, Liverpool, East Anglia and Loughborough. All are good for Maths and I believe do not require further maths. In addition some require step so check that out although I believe you should be ok with the ones I have stated.
You would be advised to do AS further Maths next year. Please also check out the Further Maths support group for more detailed help

http://www.furthermaths.org.uk/
http://www.furthermaths.org.uk/maths_entry
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending