The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 4 pringles days
Doesn't make it true.

Going to have to disagree strongly there. I'm at Cambridge and the targeted/exclusive events we have, with the number of contacts etc, is simply unmatched anywhere outside of Oxbridge.

https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subjects/employment/10007163FT-U-L100/ReturnTo/Search

https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subjects/employment/10007788FT-UG_ECTX_KIS/ReturnTo/Search

barely any difference
Doesn't make it true.

Going to have to disagree strongly there. I'm at Cambridge and the targeted/exclusive events we have, with the number of contacts etc, is simply unmatched anywhere outside of Oxbridge.

Cambridge really does have many events, especially for finance. I'm fortunate enough to be studying in London which makes it easy for banks and speakers etc to hold exclusive events so while I don't know how Imperial stacks up to Cambridge in terms of the number of events, it also has many, many opportunities for networking.
So many salty Warwick kids in here.

If you don't go to Oxbridge then why even bother?
Original post by yl95
Target universities of major employers are either generally a) the RG or b) Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, LSE, UCL...so no, I don't see the advantage domestically.
I mean, 'much better' in comparison to what? Employers aren't just going to dismiss universities that they might not have heard from; surely they would have looked at rankings and noticed the British ones that pop up quite often in the Top 10/20? The university name won't get you past an interview.

Employers don't generally read league tables. There are a lot of companies world-wide which advertise the fact that they hire only Oxbridge graduates.

An interview is more than enough - without one, you're never getting a job.

You need to look at target university lists past the superficial stage. London ones are always massively advantaged because the employers don't have to travel and there are a lot of graduates in London, the latter is the reason why Manchester and Edinburgh are also targeted. But Oxbridge do not have that amount of students, and are both in small cities.

Even in finance, being from Oxbridge give you an advantage beyond the initial start. You have more to talk about with your client, if anything. But you won't know when you're only an undergrad.
Original post by RonnieRJ
Hun my Nat sci is A*AA, certainly not AAB lmfao

Imperial giving out camb offers... Lol I would not waste A*A*A to go to imperial for phys if I could go Oxbridge. Exactly the reason why I didn't apply there, not worth the effort

Oh no the other people said that not you

Well no every opinion can't be right or wrong. As I said, I don't mind if you disagree or not

Well you have to keep in mind that not everyone gets oxbridge offers even if they have the grades so most people will end up firming Imperial.

UCL is a great university but for engineering/Sciences (apart from medicine) it is not as great.

UCL excels a lot in Law/Politics/Languages etc
Last time I checked unistats showed the average salary of Econ grad at Cambridge was £40k, Warwick £31k.

That's just one example. But Econ at Cambridge would still **** on Econ at Warwick even if those figures were reversed (notwithstanding the fact there would have to be a reason for such a disparity).

Check the unistats now for Warwick and Cambridge Econ graduates. There is such a minute difference that it makes no difference. Also for employment it states:

Warwick - 96% in a professional or managerial job after six months.
Cambridge - 97% in a professional or managerial job after six months.

And 'chit' on Warwick in terms of what? lol. If you're looking to get a top job, both uni's will set you up with the same opportunities. And if you're looking to go into research and academia you'll do just as well with both.

Lol, I need to go back to studying. If you're still adamant, that's fine man. Got bigger things on my mind than to debate top 5 university positions lol.
To be honest you are going to pick a university which you feel that is going to meet your needs not the government ranking list. I got a offer for oxford and was all excited until I got there for the weekend and I hated it so much because the atmosphere wasn't for me. half of the people putting these uni's into ranks probably haven't even been just saying like
Original post by Little Toy Gun
Employers don't generally read league tables. There are a lot of companies world-wide which advertise the fact that they hire only Oxbridge graduates.

An interview is more than enough - without one, you're never getting a job.

You need to look at target university lists past the superficial stage. London ones are always massively advantaged because the employers don't have to travel and there are a lot of graduates in London, the latter is the reason why Manchester and Edinburgh are also targeted. But Oxbridge do not have that amount of students, and are both in small cities.

Even in finance, being from Oxbridge give you an advantage beyond the initial start. You have more to talk about with your client, if anything. But you won't know when you're only an undergrad.

Which companies explicitly state that they want Oxbridge students only?
Internships-wise, I've managed to get interviews for all but one firms so far (finance) and I'm pretty sure my university has played into the factor. You could argue that my ECs might have helped but I know plenty of people at uni who don't have solid ECs but also got plenty of interviews from top investment banks.

The majority of clients probably won't have come from Oxbridge if that's what you're implying...
Original post by Penner1990
Well you have to keep in mind that not everyone gets oxbridge offers even if they have the grades so most people will end up firming Imperial.

UCL is a great university but for engineering/Sciences (apart from medicine) it is not as great.

UCL excels a lot in Law/Politics/Languages etc

Yes of course but even then I'd rather reapply post A2 given I got 3A*s to Oxbridge than waste those grades at Imperial
Original post by SmaugTheTerrible

The 'London' name carries a lot of weight as well, and UCL is far more well known in Asia than Durham or Warwick. It has far more funding, research and historically has been the hub of scientific innovation.

Warwick and Durham are far more highly regarded nationally, within the UK, than they are outside of it. UCL on the other hand, does have an international brand name.

For the record Warwick has massive influence in Asia and there are schools in India and Malaysia where the majority of their students plan to study here.
Yes of course but even then I'd rather reapply post A2 given I got 3A*s to Oxbridge than waste those grades at Imperial

Yeah but what if Oxbridge reject you again and you are left with UCL and Imperial offers for Science? A huge majority would pick Imperial.

How about the fact you'd be needlessly wasting a year of your life? :p: And even then it's not guaranteed
Original post by Little Toy Gun
Choosing Oxbridge over other universities will likely have a significant impact on your career.

You went to Oxford but still have > 20 posts per day on TSR

Lol what? About 50% of Imperial students have 3A*. You're not wasting your grades at Imperial or is it just that you don't want to settle for second best?
Why so much hate on UCL, its international/national reputability is unrivaled .
It provides so much more courses to such a high standard compared to LSE and Imperial

meh idc, first world problems. They are all amazing institutions.
Lets just agree Wolverhampton tops all
It all depends on what degree you do/are planning on doing. For example, I want to study veterinary medicine and the unis that I'm thinking of applying to probably won't make most people's top five (Surrey, Royal Veterinary College, Nottingham, Bristol). I think that as long you go to a uni that you like, doing a subject you enjoy, it shouldn't matter to much about the prestige etc.
Original post by athrowaway
Oxford/Cambridge
LSE
UCL
Imperial
Warwick/Durham

Just my opinion. Weird how emotionally invested people become in these threads, these rankings are just a bit of fun and ultimately mean nothing.

Actually, they mean quite a lot for your employment prospects.
Original post by Penner1990
Yeah but what if Oxbridge reject you again and you are left with UCL and Imperial offers for Science? A huge majority would pick Imperial.

Well the thing is I've already picked UCL over imperial during application process. Imperial doesn't offer interdisciplinary courses like Nat Sci. The best of scientists were polymaths, yet they only have specified science courses...
Original post by Sae.HH
How about the fact you'd be needlessly wasting a year of your life? :p: And even then it's not guaranteed

Yes that's why I'd only consider reapplying with three or more A*s to maximise chances (via autopool and automatic interview).

was £40k when i applied lol

Original post by yl95
Cambridge really does have many events, especially for finance. I'm fortunate enough to be studying in London which makes it easy for banks and speakers etc to hold exclusive events so while I don't know how Imperial stacks up to Cambridge in terms of the number of events, it also has many, many opportunities for networking.

For finance Imperial would probably be in the same category as LSE/Warwick (after Oxbridge).

Original post by High Stakes

If you're looking to get a top job, both uni's will set you up with the same opportunities.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.
Original post by yl95
Lol what? About 50% of Imperial students have 3A*. You're not wasting your grades at Imperial or is it just that you don't want to settle for second best?

It is wasting lmao...
Consciously setting for something worse lol. Not even second best, Oxford is second best if anything...

Latest