The Student Room Group

Go to Russia?....Not even once

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Zweihander
Do you even know what the words "numerous countries adhering to trade sanctions against Russia" mean?

You might as well put the whole of Africa and Middle East on your ''will never visit'' list :rolleyes:
Original post by Snufkin
Lame reason for not going. If LGBT students can do their year abroad in Russia without being attacked I'm sure you could handle a week. If you really are that worried then don't go to Moscow - most of the nice parts of Russia are outside the big cities anyway.

"If LGBT students can do their year abroad in Russia without being attacked I'm sure you could handle a week."

What a mesmerizing way of marginalizing their discrimination. Moscow is the most gay tolerant city in Russia, so why do you think going to smaller places where people are less open minded will be any better?
Reply 42
Original post by Ananaz
You might as well put the whole of Africa and Middle East on your ''will never visit'' list :rolleyes:

I didnt say I wouldnt visit Russia because of the trade sanctions.

bad move. I corner your king. Check
Reply 43
Original post by Snufkin
Lame reason for not going. If LGBT students can do their year abroad in Russia without being attacked I'm sure you could handle a week. If you really are that worried then don't go to Moscow - most of the nice parts of Russia are outside the big cities anyway.

Your sig is interesting, but I dont get what the point of it is - if there is one?
Original post by xxAminah
Same thing if a Muslim woman wearing a head scarf walked through the streets of America. Is that going to stop you from going to America

In big US cities (where by definition most Americans live), you can walk around with a kitchen knife in your skull and nobody would care.
Original post by Don'tworryME
"If LGBT students can do their year abroad in Russia without being attacked I'm sure you could handle a week."

What a mesmerizing way of marginalizing their discrimination. Moscow is the most gay tolerant city in Russia, so why do you think going to smaller places where people are less open minded will be any better?

Um no it isn't, Moscow is the worst place in Russia if you're LGBT or black. There is much less intolerance in St Petersburg, and still less in cities like Petrozavodsk or Tver.

Original post by Zweihander
Your sig is interesting, but I dont get what the point of it is - if there is one?

The Moomins are cool.
I like Russia, they are getting better with homosexuals
Yeah, a couple Russian individuals attacking gays represent the entire Russian population. Bad Russia! Russia should be exactly the UK/USA with our beautiful laws and values. We should spoonful Russia our values regarding the LGBT.

It is Russia. Their country and their values. What i heard from a couple of Russians is they're more on the traditional side of things and don't actually hate gays. They just do not like when gays flaunt it off. Welcome to culture shock, lol. Most non Western countries do not homosexuality so it isn't really new. I'm not down gays getting harmed but if you're in a land that does not like homosexuality and doing things to make it public, things are getting to get violent. Just sayin. Russia has been like that way before Putin came in power, I doubt Russia is going to change their values on that just to follow UK/USA footsteps. I guess African countries, Indian countries, Latin American countries, maybe Asian countries are off the list of places to go. You should probably just stay in the West.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by xxAminah
Same thing if a Muslim woman wearing a head scarf walked through the streets of America. Is that going to stop you from going to America

Or if a gay pride parade was organised through the predominantly Moslem suburbs of Stockholm...
Original post by 0123456543210
At least Russians try to do something about degeneracy unlike Europe who accept everyone and are ready to suck cocks of homos, trannies, immigrants etc. you name it.

Right you are. :smile: Russians are native Europeans, who are not fond of some things, which originally came from Asia. The deal doesn't concern homophobia, the deal is just in the traditional spiritual values.
Original post by Macy1998
Yeah, a couple Russian individuals attacking gays represent the entire Russian population. Bad Russia! Russia should be exactly the UK/USA with our beautiful laws and values. We should spoonful Russia our values regarding the LGBT.

It is Russia. Their country and their values. What i heard from a couple of Russians is they're more on the traditional side of things and don't actually hate gays. They just do not like when gays flaunt it off. Welcome to culture shock, lol. Most non Western countries do not homosexuality so it isn't really new. I'm not down gays getting harmed but if you're in a land that does not like homosexuality and doing things to make it public, things are getting to get violent. Just sayin. Russia has been like that way before Putin came in power, I doubt Russia is going to change their values on that just to follow UK/USA footsteps. I guess African countries, Indian countries, Latin American countries, maybe Asian countries are off the list of places to go. You should probably just stay in the West.

I agree with you absolutely. Culture shock. We still can't forget Conchita Wurst. During Russian TV-shows, in the Russian newspapers, we may see that he is being charactarised as the typical representative of modern Western culture. Some western newspapers make a view that majority of Russians are homophobes. Mean while in Russia some newspapers make Russians think that soon all western male population will start to dress just like Conchita, and only migrants from Islamic countries will up-rise the population of western countries.
During the previous year, in the regular way I have seen at Russian TV the news about the gay parades of USA military, about USA sea marines who found out that they want to be women. The culture shock. I still can't forget female tights dressed on the hairy legs of the USA sea marine. The real shock.

"Yeah, a couple Russian individuals attacking gays represent the entire Russian population."

Could you make yourself look more pathetic? If you are getting insulted/attacked every 2 minutes walking down the street then i am sure most of the population is bigoted? there are sources that explain how 80% of the Russian population are against LGBT rights, that was a very pathetic statement from you.

"What i heard from a couple of Russians is they're more on the traditional side of things and don't actually hate gays. They just do not like when gays flaunt it off. "

Yes, i heard the same thing too from a few Russian women. They accuse gays of spreading gay propaganda which is another way of saying they are homophobic.

Latin American countries are very LGBT friendly as are some Asian countries. It's mostly just Middle East and majority of Africa that are still stuck in the stone age.
"Yeah, a couple Russian individuals attacking gays represent the entire Russian population."

Could you make yourself look more pathetic? If you are getting insulted/attacked every 2 minutes walking down the street then i am sure most of the population is bigoted? there are sources that explain how 80% of the Russian population are against LGBT rights, that was a very pathetic statement from you.

"What i heard from a couple of Russians is they're more on the traditional side of things and don't actually hate gays. They just do not like when gays flaunt it off. "

Yes, i heard the same thing too from a few Russian women. They accuse gays of spreading gay propaganda which is another way of saying they are homophobic.

Latin American countries are very LGBT friendly as are some Asian countries. It's mostly just Middle East and majority of Africa that are still stuck in the stone age.

Hey, what did i do to you? Lol.
Quick question: do you happen to live in Russia? You do realized cameramen get paid to walk around searching for the best displays of violence, right? Is that supposed to represent Russia as a whole?

I could easily walk in the bad streets of the USA, film the nasty parts, then claim that is what it is like to be x in America. The whole of the video is for you to be appalled. The Russian natives are not being forced to dislike homosexuality. Yeah, let try to change their hardcore beliefs that been with them for years just so they can be like the good ole UK/USA especially regarding the LGBT. Because if Russia is not 100% gay friendly or likes homosexuality, its a crappy country, right? I guess gay propaganda is the normalization of homosexuality. Well it is a good thing you live in the West. Have any intention of stepping on Russian land? Probably not.

Yes, if you do not betray your tradition beliefs especially with "gay rights" you're still in the stone ages. How bout USA/UK become incest friendly? Apparently holding on to traditional beliefs = stone age. Lol. Have been to a African country or Middle East? I have. Seems pretty advanced to me.

“The problem of sexual minorities in Russia had been deliberately exaggerated from the outside for political reasons, I believe, without any good basis,” he told CBS.

He also claimed that Russia allows “people of non-traditional sexual orientation” to “live in peace.”

He argued that, rather than suppress individuality and freedom, the law authored by the openly homophobic Vitaly Milonov protects minors in Russia, allowing them to “realise who they are for themselves.”“I believe we should leave kids in peace,” he said.“We should give them a chance to grow, help them to realise who they are and decide for themselves.”“In Russia, there are equal rights for everyone. Including for people of non-traditional sexual orientations as well.”

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2015/09/28/putin-condemns-homophobia-supports-lgbt-rights/
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Paul PTS
I agree with you absolutely. Culture shock. We still can't forget Conchita Wurst. During Russian TV-shows, in the Russian newspapers, we may see that he is being charactarised as the typical representative of modern Western culture. Some western newspapers make a view that majority of Russians are homophobes. Mean while in Russia some newspapers make Russians think that soon all western male population will start to dress just like Conchita, and only migrants from Islamic countries will up-rise the population of western countries.
During the previous year, in the regular way I have seen at Russian TV the news about the gay parades of USA military, about USA sea marines who found out that they want to be women. The culture shock. I still can't forget female tights dressed on the hairy legs of the USA sea marine. The real shock.

Well I'm glad someone understands where I'm coming from with this.
Russians view America/UK differently and we view them Russian differently due to contrasting cultures. I'm sure Russians think the West is crazy to an extent. One thing i like bout Russia is they have some standards.

"A male marine wants to become a woman?! Ok, that's cool."

"Russia isn't pro-gay?! Are they crazy?!"
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by 0123456543210
At least Russians try to do something about degeneracy unlike Europe who accept everyone and are ready to suck cocks of homos, trannies, immigrants etc. you name it.

haha u so funny XDD
Really want to go to Russia, St Petersberg and Moscow look beautiful and BBC's current drama War&Peace makes it look absolutely stunning.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Really want to go to Russia, St Petersberg and Moscow look beautiful

My town is much better. :smile:
God bless Russia.
Hey, what did i do to you? Lol.
Quick question: do you happen to live in Russia? You do realized cameramen get paid to walk around searching for the best displays of violence, right? Is that supposed to represent Russia as a whole?

I could easily walk in the bad streets of the USA, film the nasty parts, then claim that is what it is like to be x in America. The whole of the video is for you to be appalled. The Russian natives are not being forced to dislike homosexuality. Yeah, let try to change their hardcore beliefs that been with them for years just so they can be like the good ole UK/USA especially regarding the LGBT. Because if Russia is not 100% gay friendly or likes homosexuality, its a crappy country, right? I guess gay propaganda is the normalization of homosexuality. Well it is a good thing you live in the West. Have any intention of stepping on Russian land? Probably not.

Yes, if you do not betray your tradition beliefs especially with "gay rights" you're still in the stone ages. How bout USA/UK become incest friendly? Apparently holding on to traditional beliefs = stone age. Lol. Have been to a African country or Middle East? I have. Seems pretty advanced to me.

“The problem of sexual minorities in Russia had been deliberately exaggerated from the outside for political reasons, I believe, without any good basis,” he told CBS.

He also claimed that Russia allows “people of non-traditional sexual orientation” to “live in peace.”

He argued that, rather than suppress individuality and freedom, the law authored by the openly homophobic Vitaly Milonov protects minors in Russia, allowing them to “realise who they are for themselves.”“I believe we should leave kids in peace,” he said.“We should give them a chance to grow, help them to realise who they are and decide for themselves.”“In Russia, there are equal rights for everyone. Including for people of non-traditional sexual orientations as well.”

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2015/09/28/putin-condemns-homophobia-supports-lgbt-rights/

"Quick question: do you happen to live in Russia? You do realized cameramen get paid to walk around searching for the best displays of violence, right? Is that supposed to represent Russia as a whole?"

No, i live in UK. It shows that Russia is promoting discrimination. There are countries where if the same thing would be done there would be no violence at all. The video is to show how badly gay people are treated by the Russian community. Yes, it's part of their traditional culture, but it still does not make it right, there is no way discrimination is ever right. I for example dislike black and Muslim people to a certain extent, but i keep it to myself for most of the part. It's fine to hold such views but not shove them to peoples faces. There is a MASSIVE difference.Neither the West or the East are right or wrong. They both have their advantages and disadvantages so i am not blaming either side.

"I could easily walk in the bad streets of the USA, film the nasty parts, then claim that is what it is like to be x in America."
Of course you would have to go to BAD STREETS because you otherwise would NOT find such behavior on your average street in USA. See the difference? you try to defend this behavior by saying that not all Russian citizens are like that, while that might be true, the MAJORITY of Russians dislike LGBT. While some are more tolerant than others. Since you think it's ok because it's part of their culture i assume you don't have anything wrong against how women are badly treated in the Middle East right? or am i wrong? i mean they are also very traditional and conservative, but that doesn't mean they are crappy right?

You try to claim that it's normal to mistreat people in today's day while it's clear their actions are wrong since the society has advanced and is much more open minded than it was 20 years ago. I am not going to comment on the links you posted to me as they are obviously a source of foolish information that contain a bunch of bigots trying to sugarcoat their actions and claim to promote equality by restricting people to express their freedom. Putin is apparently blaming parts of America for not allowing Gays to write a book? Does that meant to equate with being able to live your live openly?

LOL EPIC FAIL on that part.
"Quick question: do you happen to live in Russia? You do realized cameramen get paid to walk around searching for the best displays of violence, right? Is that supposed to represent Russia as a whole?"

No, i live in UK. It shows that Russia is promoting discrimination. There are countries where if the same thing would be done there would be no violence at all. The video is to show how badly gay people are treated by the Russian community. Yes, it's part of their traditional culture, but it still does not make it right, there is no way discrimination is ever right. I for example dislike black and Muslim people to a certain extent, but i keep it to myself for most of the part. It's fine to hold such views but not shove them to peoples faces. There is a MASSIVE difference.Neither the West or the East are right or wrong. They both have their advantages and disadvantages so i am not blaming either side.

"I could easily walk in the bad streets of the USA, film the nasty parts, then claim that is what it is like to be x in America."
Of course you would have to go to BAD STREETS because you otherwise would NOT find such behavior on your average street in USA. See the difference? you try to defend this behavior by saying that not all Russian citizens are like that, while that might be true, the MAJORITY of Russians dislike LGBT. While some are more tolerant than others. Since you think it's ok because it's part of their culture i assume you don't have anything wrong against how women are badly treated in the Middle East right? or am i wrong? i mean they are also very traditional and conservative, but that doesn't mean they are crappy right?

You try to claim that it's normal to mistreat people in today's day while it's clear their actions are wrong since the society has advanced and is much more open minded than it was 20 years ago. I am not going to comment on the links you posted to me as they are obviously a source of foolish information that contain a bunch of bigots trying to sugarcoat their actions and claim to promote equality by restricting people to express their freedom. Putin is apparently blaming parts of America for not allowing Gays to write a book? Does that meant to equate with being able to live your live openly?

LOL EPIC FAIL on that part.

I am not defending 10-15 Russian individual's actions. I don't believe they represent millions of Russians citizens. Uh, most of the Russians are pro-traditional marriage/couples just as most of the USA/UK is anti-incest. You can't shove your views in anyone's face if the rest of everyone else believes in your views. No offense, but isn't trying to organize LGBT gay parades or trying to show off homosexuality in the Russia world where most of the citizens want nothing to do with it shoving it up Russia's faces?

The average street does not represent the bad street. It all depends on what street you're currently living at that depends on the reactions you'll get. Traditional values themselves does not make a country crappy. I'm sure the UK has some traditional values. Women mistreatment and gay mistreatment are kind of different. The Lgbt is trying to make homosexuality in an anti gay country more gay friendly and that is probably not going to happen anytime soon. If you know your country will not approve of your lifestyle then I don't think it is wise to do it in public. Middle East is a whole different ball park to me. In some parts of the Middle East women are getting "honor murdered", rape, and force into marriages because they're female from birth. Traditional + conservation =/= crappy.

Who said it was normal? You added that part, not me. I can't take responsibility for the words you're adding. From what i heard is that gays are allowed to do whatever just don't encourage it or promote it to the kids, mkay?
I'm not defending anyone's actions, I'm just annoyed with people hating on a country based on whether the're gay friendly or not based on no knowledge on culture.

Quick Reply

Latest