The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yl95
That's not really Cambridge's fault; that's the Government's responsibility so putting the blame on Cambridge isn't right.

I agree, I would never put the blame of Cambridge for that.

But you can't deny that the Cambridge environment itself inherently favours the more well-off at interview.
Original post by 4 pringles days
I agree, I would never put the blame of Cambridge for that.

But you can't deny that the Cambridge environment itself inherently favours the more well-off at interview.

Hm, in what way?
7 more rep points til my first light green gem. Help me break my light green gem virginity.

This is a big moment for me. All the hard work has paid off. I feel like this achievement alone makes me of Cambridge standard.
Original post by yl95
Hm, in what way?

Centuries old buildings and style of teaching (a supervision is essentially a small class) are things that those are the top private schools will be more accustomed to (than their state school counterparts).
Ive said it before and i'll say it again they all have their merits in different areas. It'd be easier to judge them by subject rather than on a whole
Original post by 4 pringles days
Centuries old buildings and style of teaching (a supervision is essentially a small class) are things that those are the top private schools will be more accustomed to (than their state school counterparts).

Hm, I agree with your points. I think maybe they should have more outreach events to state schools then. Maybe Admissions Tutors more frequently going into schools?
Original post by frances98
Ive said it before and i'll say it again they all have their merits in different areas. It'd be easier to judge them by subject rather than on a whole

no
Original post by anonwinner
no

yes
Original post by yl95
Lol Cambridge does not consciously select those who are more well off and in the 'fashion brand'! That's an outdated opinion.

Perhaps it is less of an issue nowadays, but it still occurs (notably not just exclusively with Cambridge, although they are notorious for it) particularly in certain colleges. That's not to say that these students are undeserving of a place, but I'm simply highlighting the fact that certain individuals are automatically at a disadvantage if they don't appear to fit with this 'brand'.
Original post by yl95
Hm, I agree with your points. I think maybe they should have more outreach events to state schools then. Maybe Admissions Tutors more frequently going into schools?

I also understand that it is incredibly difficult for Oxbridge to pick out (at interview) which students are simply incredibly well practised (as a result of their institution) against those who may not have performed well at interview (due to lack of preparation) but are incredibly capable individuals.
Reply 310
My personal opinion

Cambridge

Oxford

Imperial

UCL

then the rest

You went to Oxford but still have > 20 posts per day on TSR

Which shows how little I have to work compared to other people without an Oxford degree, so I'm not sure what your point is.
I

Original post by TeeEm
My personal opinion

Cambridge

Oxford

Imperial

UCL

then the rest

4. UCL
Tad bit biased there Teeeeem but I'll take it
Original post by Little Toy Gun
Which shows how little I have to work compared to other people without an Oxford degree, so I'm not sure what your point is.

You said you were international, did you receive any scholarships to help you with your tuition fees and living costs while at Oxford?
Reply 314
cam
oxf
imperial
LSE
UCL
Original post by yl95
Which companies explicitly state that they want Oxbridge students only?
Internships-wise, I've managed to get interviews for all but one firms so far (finance) and I'm pretty sure my university has played into the factor. You could argue that my ECs might have helped but I know plenty of people at uni who don't have solid ECs but also got plenty of interviews from top investment banks.

The majority of clients probably won't have come from Oxbridge if that's what you're implying...

I was not implying that. The clients don't have to be from Oxbridge - that's the whole point. They are not from Oxbridge and want their children to go to Oxbridge so they want to talk to someone who's gone to Oxbridge. Once again, you haven't actually worked a day in your life and I doubt many clients even talk to you on a personal level when you are just an intern.

I don't know why you are talking about your looking for an internship. Internships are not real jobs and people hiring interns look for different things in them. This is without mentioning the mere fact that you will need to have experienced job hunting before an Oxbridge degree to really compare the effect of having one. You haven't even got any degree yet.
You said you were international, did you receive any scholarships to help you with your tuition fees and living costs while at Oxford?

No. Silver spoon at the ready.
Original post by yl95
Uh, Imperial is a STEM university so how many people do you think will end up in the media...most go into finance/consulting/teaching/research/engineering related jobs.

That's my point. There won't be many, if at all any, Imperial grads working in the media, so Imperial won't be "talked up" like Oxbridge are.
Reply 318
Original post by imsoanonymous123
I

4. UCL
Tad bit biased there Teeeeem but I'll take it

very much obliged ...
Original post by PoliticsStu
I completely agree with you there, are you from a state school by any chance? I had a similar experience and feel now that I'm aware of the whole process I can reapply next year confident that I'll show them the best of my ability. I think what was most frustrating this time around was that I knew I didn't show them what I was truly capable of.

Yeah a state school where I was the only applicant :frown:
And yes that's exactly how I feel. I hope the second interview would save me because I was pushed so much (it got to the point where I was working out the distance the earths crust decompresses into the mantle under 1000m of ice... Lol) and knew I was doing well. Oh well better luck next time for the both of us! :smile: