The Student Room Group

Imperial College medicine applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 820
has anyone got an offer from imperial yet? I heard that they said they would get back to people within two weeks, and some of my friends still haven't heard, despite having their interviews in december
Original post by babsa
has anyone got an offer from imperial yet? I heard that they said they would get back to people within two weeks, and some of my friends still haven't heard, despite having their interviews in december

A few people got offers (as well as academic scholarships) on the 18th of December but the majority have not heard back yet!
Reply 822
Original post by Hopefulmedic15
A few people got offers (as well as academic scholarships) on the 18th of December but the majority have not heard back yet!

ah ok cool!! has no one else heard, of those who have had interviews after that?
Original post by babsa
ah ok cool!! has no one else heard, of those who have had interviews after that?

Nope, other than the scholarship people and a few others, no one so far. Not too sure why the others who had their interviews in December haven't heard back though. What may happen is that they be delaying those to give all the offers out next week as that would be two weeks for the Jan 5th/6th interviews and a week for 12th/13th.
Hey guys!

I've got my interview on the 20th, starting to get nervous to be honest!

Does anybody know how much emphasis they put on the BMAT in their decision-making?

My BMAT scores were high 7s so I'm kind of hoping that they put huge emphasis on it, but I'm interested to know if that's the case or if they purely use it to shortlist interviewees.

My girlfriend has an offer for Imperial Medicine too, so it'd be awesome to get in!
Original post by Jay1421
Hey guys!

Does anybody know how much emphasis they put on the BMAT in their decision-making?

My BMAT scores were high 7s so I'm kind of hoping that they put huge emphasis on it, but I'm interested to know if that's the case or if they purely use it to shortlist interviewees.

My girlfriend has an offer for Imperial Medicine too, so it'd be awesome to get in!

I got my interview in 2014, and I also had a BMAT score in mid~high 7s.
They do use it to shortlist interviewees, but I believe they have our whole application in front of them for reference during the interview, so even if the scores are not officially reflected in the results, it certainly would help you get a place! Plus you might be eligible for Rector's Scholarship for that high BMAT score.

Good luck, and hopefully see you in October!
Original post by Jay1421
Hey guys!

Firstly, congrats on your BMAT scores! :smile:

Unfortunately though it is only used as a hurdle to shortlist people for interview, and then their decision (offer/rejection) is made purely on the interview.

In the uncommon occasion where the panel cannot decide and they have to send your interview score and the rest of your application to a senior admissions tutor. This being said, I don't know if the tutor takes the BMAT into consideration at all.

Essentially, my advice would be to not worry about the interview and just treat it like a conversation with people who share a common interest with you. :smile:
No Oxbridge style questions and you have an ethical question but I can't discuss that in any more detail :smile:

Hi! Firstly, I'm glad to hear your interview went well! Obviously no details, but would you mind if I asked whether they asked you anything that really threw you off? (Just a yes or no is fine, I understand you don't want to give us an unfair advantage :wink:) Or was it more personal statement-based and just generic medical interview questions?
Thank you!
Original post by ciara26
Hi! Firstly, I'm glad to hear your interview went well! Obviously no details, but would you mind if I asked whether they asked you anything that really threw you off? (Just a yes or no is fine, I understand you don't want to give us an unfair advantage :wink:) Or was it more personal statement-based and just generic medical interview questions?
Thank you!

Nothing unexpected came up :smile: I would advise that you look over your personal statement carefully for what you think makes you stand out from the typical medical applicant because they may question you about it further! (There are questions I know no one else would have been asked about, for instance, I fundraised and volunteered in an orphanage in Belarus so they asked me a lot about that experience. I know someone else said earlier they were asked why they loved learning languages so much - because they had mentioned it on their PS)

So to summarise, nothing you have written about on your PS should be unexpected. So yeah, pretty standard interview questions. :smile:
Original post by ciara26
Thank you!

For me it was fairly personal statement based, they asked me how I ended up doing some pharmacology stuff at Utrecht University so I guess anything unusual or eye-catching in your ps will get asked.
Nothing unexpected came up :smile: I would advise that you look over your personal statement carefully for what you think makes you stand out from the typical medical applicant because they may question you about it further! (There are questions I know no one else would have been asked about, for instance, I fundraised and volunteered in an orphanage in Belarus so they asked me a lot about that experience. I know someone else said earlier they were asked why they loved learning languages so much - because they had mentioned it on their PS)

So to summarise, nothing you have written about on your PS should be unexpected. So yeah, pretty standard interview questions. :smile:

Thank you for this! I'll be sure to look into my PS :smile: best of luck for the rest of your application!
Original post by not you
For me it was fairly personal statement based, they asked me how I ended up doing some pharmacology stuff at Utrecht University so I guess anything unusual or eye-catching in your ps will get asked.

Brilliant, thank you very much for your help! I hope you hear back from your unis soon! :smile:
Original post by ciara26
Thank you for this! I'll be sure to look into my PS :smile: best of luck for the rest of your application!

Thank you! Good luck to you too :smile:
Reply 833
For the "why medicine?" question, do you think a longer more detailed response would be more appropriate (around 1-1.5 mins) or would a shorter more concise answer be better? (30 seconds). I was wondering because if you give a really long answer wont that sound as if you are rambling as it is meant to be more of a conversation?
Original post by kapflap
For the "why medicine?" question, do you think a longer more detailed response would be more appropriate (around 1-1.5 mins) or would a shorter more concise answer be better? (30 seconds). I was wondering because if you give a really long answer wont that sound as if you are rambling as it is meant to be more of a conversation?

Mine took about 2.5-3 minutes but it wasn't rambling because I was make a number of points which they could take follow up questions from hence making it a conversation. In 30 seconds you could summarise your points but that makes it very vague and impersonal, so if you feel you could tell them more about your personal motivation in 1.5 minutes, go for it!
Reply 835
Mine took about 2.5-3 minutes but it wasn't rambling because I was make a number of points which they could take follow up questions from hence making it a conversation. In 30 seconds you could summarise your points but that makes it very vague and impersonal, so if you feel you could tell them more about your personal motivation in 1.5 minutes, go for it!

Thanks, i think what you said makes a lot of sense:smile:

You got asked a 'why medicine'-type question? **** I didn't get any questions like why medicine and motivation to study medicine is a criteria on their interview marking thing...
Original post by not you
You got asked a 'why medicine'-type question? **** I didn't get any questions like why medicine and motivation to study medicine is a criteria on their interview marking thing...

Yeah but I didn't get asked some other questions that made me quite confused (I'll pm you to talk about it :P)
Yeah but I didn't get asked some other questions that made me quite confused (I'll pm you to talk about it :P)

tbh I was only asked 5 questions, which I'm not entirely sure were enough to cover all the things they were looking for either. Imperial has strange ways of doing interviews lol
Original post by not you
tbh I was only asked 5 questions, which I'm not entirely sure were enough to cover all the things they were looking for either. Imperial has strange ways of doing interviews lol

That might have been enough for them to find out what they wanted from you! Who knows, let's both just anxiously wait for a response :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending