The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Little Toy Gun
Which shows how little I have to work compared to other people without an Oxford degree, so I'm not sure what your point is.

Do you get off by belittling people? :l
Original post by PoliticsStu
What even is 'Cambridge standard' in your opinion? For me, most of those who make it to interview are academically capable of excelling in an Oxbridge institution. You'd also have to take into account Cambridge's appalling reputation in selecting the more financially equipped candidates, those that fit the 'Cambridge fashion brand' and so on over their actual ability (although I must note that all, or at least the vast majority of candidates are indeed equally deserving of a place academically).

In terms if entry grades, the most demanding is the math course, where apart from A*, you need STEP. However STEP itself is not as challengng as BMO and BMO is below IMO standard.

How many IMO gold achievers apply to Cambridge? Prob most UK gold achievers, though the UK aren't exactly the top performing nation at IMO. There haven't been many UK students attaining the gold standard in recent times and in fact Kevin Buzzard, lecturer at Imperial, was the UK's last perfect scorer, back in the mid 1980s!

Instead, the top pre-uni students are from the Far East, the likes of China and Korea. However owing to lack of funds or the language barrier, they tend to stay in their own country to study.

So although Cambridge standard is high, it's not necessarily the best.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Little Toy Gun
No. Silver spoon at the ready.

Okay that explains it
Original post by Lawliettt
You don't need to sound so pretentious lol. it's likely that even Imperial wouldn't accept you if you applied to a decent course there too.

You wouldn't have 'settled' for anything. Instead you'd be lucky that you got in. UCL isn't even in the same league as Imperial. Infact there are courses at Imperial (e.g Medicine) that are harder to get into than the same course at Oxbridge. And simply saying "top 5" doesn't really put perspective.

It's

Oxbridge
(small gap)
Imperial
LSE
(MASSIVE GAP)
Everything else.

And even then I wouldn't rank UCL as top 5. It's only considered as good as it is because it's a great London Uni.

No one gets into Imperial meeting their A*A*A or A*AA offer and thinks "damn. I guess I'll have to settle for this place"

UCL Law A*AA, Oxford Law AAA. UCL is in top 4 like it or not.
Original post by SmaugTheTerrible
Once you throw prestige, reputation, history, employment prospects, league tables, the 'damn you go to X Uni' wow factor, selectivity, entry criteria, average Joe on the streets knowledge and international brand awareness together, these are undoubtedly the top 5 Universities in the UK.

Oxford and Cambridge
LSE and Imperial
UCL

Then all the rest come. It is safe to say that the so-called 'G5', is indeed the top 5 in the UK.

MIT yes
Original post by ruby420
What's UCL even good for apart from medicine related subjects? Check out threads right here on tsr of people saying how bad their engineering dept is. No wonder it's only AAB for Chem Eng at UCL and A*A*AA at Imperial.

Regardless, all that matters is that you go to an IB target. There's no order.

Cambridge
Oxford
LSE
Imperial
Warwick
UCL.

Computer Science with Mathematics A*A*A at UCL
Computer Science A*AA at UCL

The engineering department still sucks major thou.
(edited 8 years ago)
Where does the UEA place?
notts is top 5 surely
Original post by Alleyezonme

Warwick is LEAGUES ahead of UCL for mathematics. Even Cambridge themselves said Warwick maths is the second best after them.
Original post by RonnieRJ
Yeah a state school where I was the only applicant :frown:
And yes that's exactly how I feel. I hope the second interview would save me because I was pushed so much (it got to the point where I was working out the distance the earths crust decompresses into the mantle under 1000m of ice... Lol) and knew I was doing well. Oh well better luck next time for the both of us! :smile:

Same here! My interviews were quite odd this year too, everyone who applied for HSPS at that college got exactly the same questions (in contrast with what we were told would happen) so there wasn't really much room for elaboration as they were eager to get through all the set questions. Are you definitely going to apply again? I'm still in two minds about it.
LOL but top tier employers look out for the university league tables not course 9/10 times.

Yeah but Warwick maths is extremely well known. IB especially look out for Warwick maths grads.

Nope nope Mathematical Computation is A*AA. I don't think they have a CS w Maths degree.
With the exception of a few select courses (imperial engineering, Lse econ) there's really not much difference in prestige from one university to the next when you look at Kings, ucl, Durham, warwick, Edinburgh, etc

I think a'level and university students miss the point though. It's the student that gets the job, not the institution. A large part of why successful people disproportionately went to Oxbridge is more because they attract rather than produce the best talent
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by yl95
Nope nope Mathematical Computation is A*AA. I don't think they have a CS w Maths degree.

was A*A*A last year aha!
LOL but top tier employers look out for the university league tables not course 9/10 times.

You're a child focus on your GCSE's or whatever you're doing. Employers know what universities they want to target and that's that, they don't check league tables and distribute their resources accordingly lol

And Warwick is THE most succcessful university for IB in recent years, ask anyone who's been on a spring week or BB internship.
(edited 8 years ago)
not before UCL but okay! (btw I'm applying to IB) :biggrin:

Nah. There was an AMA from a JPM FO guy a week ago. He said LSE and Warwick are slaying IB atm. Even more so than Oxbridge/Imperial.
was A*A*A last year aha!

Website says A*AA? It was A*AA two admissions cycles ago for sure because my offer was A*AA.
Original post by Sae.HH
You're a child focus on your GCSE's or whatever you're doing. Employers know what universities they want to target and that's that, they don't check league tables and distribute their resources accordingly lol

M8 I'm at UNI. Focus on your SATS.
Original post by yl95
Website says A*AA? It was A*AA two admissions cycles ago for sure because my offer was A*AA.

I study CS aha, I wanted to do mathematical computation but didn't apply because of A*A*A and applied CS. But got the grades after :/
Original post by yl95

:rofl:

First time I've heard of a university lowering their offers.

Latest

Trending

Trending