The Student Room Group

Gap year?

For a really long time, I've debated on whether a Gap year is the right thing to do before university. I know that I do really want a year off for travelling however is it better to do so before or after university?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by esmiwilson
For a really long time, I've debated on whether a Gap year is the right thing to do before university. I know that I do really want a year off for travelling however is it better to do so before or after university?

Do you feel ready to go into uni? A gap year can be a great thing to discuss on a personal statement if you do something meaningful.
Have you thought about how you would support yourself travelling etc?

What subject area are you hoping to go into? If it is something that is really competitive it could be worth applying and then if you don't get into the course you want to do having a gap year.
You can do both, I kind of wish I'd taken a gap year as I was pretty immature in going in to my first year at Uni but it's entirely up to you and how you feel :h:
Reply 3
well too late to decide now! unless you're in year 12 :tongue:
Original post by z33

oh z33 that reminds me, i asked @preetg97 about gap years for you so what she said is in our vms :smile: thought it might help you out :colondollar:

sorry if that was off topic :redface:
Reply 5
Original post by CoolCavy
oh z33 that reminds me, i asked @preetg97 about gap years for you so what she said is in our vms :smile: thought it might help you out :colondollar:

sorry if that was off topic :redface:

oh right thanks I'll check it out! :smile:
Reply 6
I took one and totally recommend it! If you can afford it,don't stay at home, travel or something and gain independance. That is half of the difficulty in adjusting to uni, which you will have to worry less about. Also, I feel a lot more motivated at uni, because I appreciate education for learning, not just as something I "have to do" to get a job.

Original post by z33

I don't agree, I decided I wanted to take a gap year in March of yr13, and didn't get a place sorted until May. I had applied to uni and didnt reject my place until results day.It is never too late to decide you want to do a gap year!
Reply 7
Original post by schmuur
I don't agree, I decided I wanted to take a gap year in March of yr13, and didn't get a place sorted until May. I had applied to uni and didnt reject my place until results day.It is never too late to decide you want to do a gap year!

Oh I assumed OP were trying to decide whether to apply to uni or take a gap year and not that they'd already applied but were changing their mind woops sorry :colondollar:
Reply 8
Original post by Neostigmine
Do you feel ready to go into uni? A gap year can be a great thing to discuss on a personal statement if you do something meaningful.
Have you thought about how you would support yourself travelling etc?

What subject area are you hoping to go into? If it is something that is really competitive it could be worth applying and then if you don't get into the course you want to do having a gap year.

I want to study child Nursing and in the gap year was hoping to do some form of aid work in different countries which could be useful as that's eventually what I want to do after uni as well. Whether I feel ready or not I have no idea but I don't want to be in the wrong mindset when I go to uni after having so much freedom to then being restricted etc etc...
Thank you for reply, gave me some stuff to think about :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Blondie987
You can do both, I kind of wish I'd taken a gap year as I was pretty immature in going in to my first year at Uni but it's entirely up to you and how you feel :h:

Yeah exactly as uni is a big step from a levels and I want to have actually experienced stuff before, thanks :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by z33

I'm in year 12 just thinking ahead lol
Reply 11
Original post by schmuur
I took one and totally recommend it! If you can afford it,don't stay at home, travel or something and gain independance. That is half of the difficulty in adjusting to uni, which you will have to worry less about. Also, I feel a lot more motivated at uni, because I appreciate education for learning, not just as something I "have to do" to get a job.

Thank you very much for response. Yeah money isn't really an issue and I think the independence aspect of uni was something I always found a little daunting so perhaps a gap year before is a good idea.
What sort of stuff did you get up to on your gap year and would you recommend anywhere to go? I already have things that I know i want to do but I want to make the most of it so any suggestions on things to do would be great :smile:
Also did you find it hard to get back into the routine of uni/ education after your gap year? Something I worry about..
Reply 13
Original post by ACJHealy
Yes to gap years! I'm spending summer in Monaco, the ski season in Courchevel 1650 then April-August in SE Asia before starting PPE at Exeter. Literally cannot wait:u:

Ahh that's so cool, have an amazing time! :smile:
Currently on a gap year and I highly recommend it. It allows plenty of time to consider how one may approach higher education. Personally, I see it as a year to get some work experience and prepare for the modules I will study.
Reply 15
Original post by ProfessorSnape
Currently on a gap year and I highly recommend it. It allows plenty of time to consider how one may approach higher education. Personally, I see it as a year to get some work experience and prepare for the modules I will study.

awh snape :redface:

taking one next year :biggrin: when should i plan it/ get stuff ready for it do you think?
I'm on a gap year right now and didn't defer my place until september 2015! So no matter what people say it isn't too late to decide, but maybe take some time to think about what you'd do on your gap year if you were to take one (not a definite plan but to give you an idea of what you'd spend your year doing)

My decision to take one was because of health issues throughout year 13 that meant I just wanted a break from education for a bit! I'm working full time in retail which has just reaffirmed my desire to go to uni this year and I'm really going to appreciate all the money I've saved up come september.. I've taken the time to visit friends at their universities, enrol on several courses and plan two months of inter-railing come summer to give you a few ideas!

If you're worried about being the "old" one on your course if you do take the year out then don't be, if anything it'll be better because you'll have more money in the bank (depending on how good you are at saving of course...)

If you want any ideas or advice or just have any questions just message me! :smile:
Original post by z33
awh snape :redface:

taking one next year :biggrin: when should i plan it/ get stuff ready for it do you think?

He is remarkable isn't he :wink: I assume that you're currently studying A Levels? If so, only plan your gap year if you intend to travel or work. If you, like myself, decide not to then there is nothing wrong with being spontaneous.
Reply 18
Original post by ProfessorSnape
He is remarkable isn't he :wink: I assume that you're currently studying A Levels? If so, only plan your gap year if you intend to travel or work. If you, like myself, decide not to then there is nothing wrong with being spontaneous.

He really was :frown:
Yupp!
Alright cool i like the spontaneous life :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending