The Student Room Group

Is there a racial penalty for men on Tinder?

Lets say the guy is an ethnic minority in the north east, is there a racial penalty even if he is very good looking and would have no problems attracting a girl in real life?

Scroll to see replies

Racial penalty often exist in the form of own goals caused by low self esteem
Original post by Das Ich Man
Racial penalty often exist in the form of own goals caused by low self esteem

I agree with this dude.

I'm female, supposedly pretty, but I sometimes think my ethnicity holds me back in dating. However all kinds of people gets dates and relationships... Fat people, old people, single mothers with kids from multiple men, divorcees etc. If they can do it, dammit I can too. Don't give up OP.
Original post by Anonymous
I agree with this dude.

I'm female, supposedly pretty, but I sometimes think my ethnicity holds me back in dating. However all kinds of people gets dates and relationships... Fat people, old people, single mothers with kids from multiple men, divorcees etc. If they can do it, dammit I can too. Don't give up OP.

If you want something badly enough you'll find a *bloody way to do it :smile:

*not quite literally I don't advise killing a guys girlfriend
Reply 4
I agree with this dude.

I agree, I am British Chinese. And really, I know I am good looking in total objective standards.

But with online dating, native guys who look totally ordinary get into relationships a lot easier, and dates. I really am not joking.
Race matters to some people but not to everyone, just dont worry about it and do you like
Reply 6
Original post by Drummerz
Race matters to some people but not to everyone, just dont worry about it and do you like

Yeah, I just find it hard to meet people these days. And online dating is my only option until I get out there and find some clubs to join and meet people. Problem is, as a minority man, online dating is ****ing difficult!
Yeah, I just find it hard to meet people these days. And online dating is my only option until I get out there and find some clubs to join and meet people. Problem is, as a minority man, online dating is ****ing difficult!

I'm black in the north-east too, I get it lol. Never really tried online dating though (tried tinder for like 2 days cause it felt like too much effort), honestly just doing you is always best. Have you not been getting any matches at all?
Reply 8
I'm black in the north-east too, I get it lol. Never really tried online dating though (tried tinder for like 2 days cause it felt like too much effort), honestly just doing you is always best. Have you not been getting any matches at all?

Yeah, I get matches sometimes, but they don't want to talk to me.

What part of the north east are you living in? Have you lived here all your life like I have?
Probably/definitely if his name is Awesome Genius.

Why do you think it is the fact that you are a minority that is making it hard?
I agree, I am British Chinese. And really, I know I am good looking in total objective standards.

But with online dating, native guys who look totally ordinary get into relationships a lot easier, and dates. I really am not joking.

I know you're not joking. I'm from a 1/2 black and 1/2 white mix in an ~ 98% white area (in the North West as opposed to North East). I'm skinny and get told I'm beautiful, I even get guys come up to me during the day who tell me that, but no one seems wants to actually date me at most I'm an exotic 'foreigner' (I get called that all the time) that they want to give a spin. My obese, cake face, smoking, alcohol swigging peers get boyfriends no problem. Not being mean but there's a lot of, let's say, 'undesirables' in the North East as well as where I am so don't feel like it's too much of a loss. Just keep going, that's all I can say and move onto better people who will see your worth and appreciate the hard work you put in. Also considering moving geographically, since moving to a city things are better for me now and I get to date quality men now :smile: I see Chinese guys here mostly dating other Chinese girls but also other races.
Yeah, I get matches sometimes, but they don't want to talk to me.

What part of the north east are you living in? Have you lived here all your life like I have?

Newcastle, and no only for uni, lots of people get that too. Heard of somepeople who've gotten 100+ matches and no conversations
I know you're not joking. I'm from a 1/2 black and 1/2 white mix in an ~ 98% white area (in the North West as opposed to North East). I'm skinny and get told I'm beautiful, I even get guys come up to me during the day who tell me that, but no one seems wants to actually date me at most I'm an exotic 'foreigner' (I get called that all the time) that they want to give a spin. My obese, cake face, smoking, alcohol swigging peers get boyfriends no problem. Not being mean but there's a lot of, let's say, 'undesirables' in the North East as well as where I am so don't feel like it's too much of a loss. Just keep going, that's all I can say and move onto better people who will see your worth and appreciate the hard work you put in. Also considering moving geographically, since moving to a city things are better for me now and I get to date quality men now :smile: I see Chinese guys here mostly dating other Chinese girls but also other races.

Yeah, I know how you feel. I don't know what it is like being a girl and experiencing something like that though - being objectified for your racial background and being patronized for seeming 'exotic', it's being made a novelty almost.

I think it is definitely better in real life because you can spot the girls that fancy you and you get a good instinct about it. But in online dating it makes me paranoid how many people actually view your race as a negative thing.

I can tell who is racist in real life because they tend to only have white friends and when foreigners/ethnic minorities try to join their social circles they shun them (but thats both xenophobia and racism)... surprisingly there is a good amount of people like this.

I think the girls I have met that have tended to be actually racist are those ones from areas that have no ethnic minorities.
Reply 14
Lets say the guy is an ethnic minority in the north east, is there a racial penalty even if he is very good looking and would have no problems attracting a girl in real life?

Try being a black male on Tinder, its feels like being a black cat...
Newcastle, and no only for uni, lots of people get that too. Heard of somepeople who've gotten 100+ matches and no conversations

Went to Newcastle for uni too, that was a good time in my life. Yeah doesn't surprise me, a lot of girls just collect matches.
Original post by Gee2016
Try being a black male on Tinder, its feels like being a black cat...

Yup, I can believe that - the landscape of online dating is what I would expect the 50's midwest USA to be like.
I honestly dont give a **** about a guys race when it comes to tinder, as I don't have a specific type. But I only have an insecurity with myself and if people would accept me for my own race or looks or whatever. I just have this paranoia that guys wont like me due to my race or skin colour pigment (and im mid-tone, btw).

Mate, if you're not white, there's a racial penalty in everything, not just Tinder.

To give an example, me and my friend are both investment bankers, and we are pretty much the same attractiveness (height, body, face etc), and we have pretty much same upbringing, personality and every thing. The only real difference between us is I'm black, he's white.

We both use Tinder, but despite the fact that we're pretty much the same person, my friend has been absolutely killing it on Tinder and has got 5 times as many matches as me, and he generally gets matched with much better looking girls than I do.

That's reality mate. If you're not white, be prepared for things to be chittier for you.
(edited 8 years ago)

Mate, if you think Tinder is hard work, dont bother with any other dating platforms. You will be exhausted.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending