The Student Room Group

South Asians: Would you marry a South Asian of a different religion?

There has already been a thread similar to this asking if South Asians would marry another South Asian of a different country of origin. I'm asking would they marry a South Asian of a different religion, but from the same country and same ethnicity to them.
Most South Asians are either Muslim or Hindu, but there are some Sikhs and Christians. I'm just wondering say if you are one of those, would you marry someone from a different religion? And if you wished to pursue it, would your parents be happy about it.

My main question is, would Muslims and Hindus be happy getting married to each other?

Scroll to see replies

No, I can see conflict if I do however.
As long as he lets me practice my Islam, I don't have any issues marrying a Hindu or Sikh guy if I have emotional attachment with him. My parents would probably disown me though. They would never accept it for sure!
Reply 3
Yeah, wouldn't be a problem for me or my family.
However, as long as I'm not asked/forced to convert.

Edit: I'm Hindu
(edited 8 years ago)
Nope - id like to marry a muslim, otherwise too much conflict...
Original post by samina_ay
Nope - id like to marry a muslim, otherwise too much conflict...

I see what you mean. A Muslim will always be more better in understanding certain stuff. However, if I ever click with a Hindu/Sikh guy emotionally, I wouldn't mind.
My general rule is that I (a Sikh) don't want to convert into a religion. Christians and Hindus generally don't care so they're fine. Muslims, however, tend to require a conversion, so they're typically ruled out.

Edit: I recently heard my dad speaking on the phone and he shocked me. He was talking about a Sikh guy marrying a Muslim girl and he said 'as long as they're good people, it doesn't matter.' I can't help but think it wouldn't actually be that simple, though, even if I wish it was.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BrokenLife
I see what you mean. A Muslim will always be more better in understanding certain stuff. However, if I ever click with a Hindu/Sikh guy emotionally, I wouldn't mind.

You wouldn't "click" with his family hun. Just saying. I prefer a drama-free life with no family fueds.
(Muslim here)

If family wasn't an issue, I would be fine with it.

But my family wouldn't be happy with that, and I'd rather avoid the drama or avoid putting a girl through that and/or making her convert for me.
(edited 8 years ago)
You wouldn't "click" with his family hun. Just saying. I prefer a drama-free life with no family fueds.

I don't need to click with his family as long as two people who have a relationship click. Indians aren't that fussed about clicking with their families as much as Pakistanis families. I think many Indian families are much easy going than Pakistanis. Also, if I try, you'll never know. I feel like Indians are still much more accepting than Pakistanis tbh.
I don't need to click with his family as long as two people who have a relationship click. Indians aren't that fussed about clicking with their families as much as Pakistanis families. I think many Indian families are much easy going than Pakistanis. Also, if I try, you'll never know. I feel like Indians are still much more accepting than Pakistanis tbh.

I don't know. Its just sad how religion and/or culture stops two people from being together. Hmm
I also should have mentioned state which religion you are in the posts too.

Personally, I'm a Muslim, and I'd be open to marry anyone from any religion and my family would be too. We're not a very practicing family anyway.
I don't know. Its just sad how religion and/or culture stops two people from being together. Hmm

I know my personal views doesn't stop me from being with someone I love just because of their or my religion. Its just the family which is ridiculous imo tbh.
Original post by dairychocolate
My general rule is that I (a Sikh) don't want to convert into a religion. Christians and Hindus generally don't care so they're fine. Muslims, however, tend to require a conversion, so they're typically ruled out.

Edit: I recently heard my dad speaking on the phone and he shocked me. He was talking about a Sikh guy marrying a Muslim girl and he said 'as long as they're good people, it doesn't matter.' I can't help but think it wouldn't actually be that simple, though, even if I wish it was.

What about getting married to a Muslim that doesn't require conversion?
Tbh, no. I want my children to have the same upbringing I did, and that only happens if my wife and I had similar upbringing---> which can only be if she's a Gujarati Hindu.
I know my personal views doesn't stop me from being with someone I love just because of their or my religion. Its just the family which is ridiculous imo tbh.

Sameee - just traditional values and care about what others say in the asian community.
Original post by dniy-10
No, I can see conflict if I do however.

I thought Indian citizens and Pakistani citizens are well known for marrying one another? Don't India and Pakistan have a loving relationship or did I hear wrong?
Reply 17
Although my family has no issues with outsiders or even if I was LGBT, but God blessed me with the "chill" Hindu parents, but I agree with Anon. I could only marry another Gujarati.

@nucdev, you wouldn't mind marrying outside?
Original post by Anonymous
Tbh, no. I want my children to have the same upbringing I did, and that only happens if my wife and I had similar upbringing---> which can only be if she's a Gujarati Hindu.

What would be wrong with a Pakistani Muslim?
Reply 19
Original post by The Reality
I thought Indian citizens and Pakistani citizens are well known for marrying one another? Don't India and Pakistan have a loving relationship or did I hear wrong?

Idk where you heard that, lmfao.
It might be more relaxed now than it was then, but I can assure you, it's defo not "loving relationship"
Lol, my family friend's daughter liked a sikh guy, and they were like that's fine. Anything but a Muslim...that's almost synonymous with Pakistani, either way. NO GO

Quick Reply