The Student Room Group

Is there a racial penalty for men on Tinder?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gee2016
Try being a black male on Tinder, its feels like being a black cat...

Dat pun though :colonhash:
Original post by Zweihander.
Mate, if you're not white, there's a racial penalty in everything, not just Tinder.

To give an example, me and my friend are both investment bankers, and we are pretty much fairly the same attractiveness, and we have pretty much same upbringing and every thing. The only real difference between us is I'm black, he's white.

We both have accounts on Tinder, but despite the face that we're pretty much the same person, my friend has been absolutely killing in on Tinder and got 5 times as many matches as me, and he generally gets matched with much better looking girls than me.

Isn't that a bit ****ed up though? That in reality girls may think we are less valuable just because of the colour of our skin. We may do well in real life but Tinder is an insight into the minds of the opposite sex. This is assuming we take Tinder as a social study on what they really value. As it is very east to swipe left on Tinder and be discriminatory.

And I have also thought about this "same person" phenomenon, I used to work in a FTSE100 grad scheme. We had a lot of guys there and we were basically clones except the skin colour. On online dating, I had the same experience in terms of finding it a lot more difficult.

Keep this in mind, when we go out, I do bloody well. It was the Christmas party at work for example and we went out to a club in town. I had 2 random girls going up to me and dancing that night, I had girls from work buy me drinks all night. But online dating? They auto assume things about you as you are a minority. I hate to be cynical, but they probably assume stereotypical bull**** about us just because it is easy to.
It is if you're an Oriental guy swiping right to white girls. :sad:
Original post by Zweihander.
Mate, if you're not white, there's a racial penalty in everything, not just Tinder.

To give an example, me and my friend are both investment bankers, and we are pretty much the same attractiveness (height, body, face etc), and we have pretty much same upbringing, personality and every thing. The only real difference between us is I'm black, he's white.

We both use Tinder, but despite the fact that we're pretty much the same person, my friend has been absolutely killing it on Tinder and has got 5 times as many matches as me, and he generally gets matched with much better looking girls than I do.

That's reality mate. If you're not white, be prepared for things to be chittier for you.

Why are you on Tinder? I thought you had a girlfriend :curious:
Original post by Anonymous
Why are you on Tinder? I thought you had a girlfriend :curious:

This was in the past.
Reply 25
Original post by Black Cat
Dat pun though :colonhash:

No offense, haha.. :smile:
Yeah, I know how you feel. I don't know what it is like being a girl and experiencing something like that though - being objectified for your racial background and being patronized for seeming 'exotic', it's being made a novelty almost.

I think it is definitely better in real life because you can spot the girls that fancy you and you get a good instinct about it. But in online dating it makes me paranoid how many people actually view your race as a negative thing.

I can tell who is racist in real life because they tend to only have white friends and when foreigners/ethnic minorities try to join their social circles they shun them (but thats both xenophobia and racism)... surprisingly there is a good amount of people like this.

I think the girls I have met that have tended to be actually racist are those ones from areas that have no ethnic minorities.

For me it's usually one of 2 things.

a) I'm just all around untouchable. I mean you only have click on virtually any thread involving race here on TSR and someone is talking about how ugly or unattractive black girls are. Even 'scientists' have tried to prove that black women are ugly I mean wtf. And yes I might be mixed but if someone finds black people revolting then I'm not going to date them, even if they want give me a pass for being mixed. I have to say it really hurts me that little bit more for the people who still are half of what I am, whether they acknowledge it or not, to be disgusted by me.

b) I'm an exotic piece of meat, a sexual conquest at most.

But what I really want and can never seem to find is just someone who sees me as a girl who happens to be mixed, rather than a mixed girl. I have a lot to offer and none it has nothing to do with my skin colour.

I agree that real life is probably better to be able to gauge how people feel. The plus side about online though is that any rejection is less direct and confrontational. Perhaps we will have to work a little harder but I'm sure it will be worth it in the end. The good thing is really you only need to find one person who resonates with you, then all the rest can go to hell.
For me it's usually one of 2 things.

a) I'm just all around untouchable. I mean you only have click on virtually any thread involving race here on TSR and someone is talking about how ugly or unattractive black girls are. Even 'scientists' have tried to prove that black women are ugly I mean wtf. And yes I might be mixed but if someone finds black people revolting then I'm not going to date them, even if they want give me a pass for being mixed. I have to say it really hurts me that little bit more for the people who still are half of what I am, whether they acknowledge it or not, to be disgusted by me.

b) I'm an exotic piece of meat, a sexual conquest at most.

But what I really want and can never seem to find is just someone who sees me as a girl who happens to be mixed, rather than a mixed girl. I have a lot to offer and none it has nothing to do with my skin colour.

I agree that real life is probably better to be able to gauge how people feel. The plus side about online though is that any rejection is less direct and confrontational. Perhaps we will have to work a little harder but I'm sure it will be worth it in the end. The good thing is really you only need to find one person who resonates with you, then all the rest can go to hell.

I know how you feel. People always ask me if I am mixed race, as if a 100% ethnically Chinese person cannot be attractive. I hate the surprise on their faces, as if they think only white people or white genetics can only be attractive. I think underneath it all, a good amount of people are really white supremacist, including minorities who give up and try to get approval from racists. I just cannot degrade myself like that. Thing is, online you can't read what people are like. And people with racial biases much prefer a platform like that.
Original post by Gee2016
Try being a black male on Tinder, its feels like being a black cat...

Are you sure?? I have a friend who is on tinder. He is black, lives in north west and I know his knob is busy at least three times a week...he patrols from Lancaster, dalton, Kendal etc. If you know what you want and how to get it,your colour won't limit you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by bardnnyc
Are you sure?? I have a friend who is on tinder. He is black, lives in north west and I know his knob is busy at least three times a week...he patrols from Lancaster, dalton, Kendal etc. If you know what you want and how to get it,your colour won't limit you.

On Tinder? Well has he also tried OKC and POF? Those broads are a joke which is my opinion...

Quick Reply