The Student Room Group

URGENT: A Level/AS reform Edexcel confusion

I really don't get the new reform of the GCE qualification. They're saying it's linear and the AS marks won't contribute to the final A Level grade. I'm taking E. Lit, E. Language and GovPol, so does this mean I'll have to give all my units at the end of my two year course altogether? Isn't there a cash-in option anymore?

So if I give my first two units in may 2016 and the next two in may 2017 it's pointless? I won't get the whole A Level qualification?? Can someone PLEASE explain this asap? My reg starts next month for GCE and I have no idea what's going on!
Original post by nafisa.t13
I really don't get the new reform of the GCE qualification. They're saying it's linear and the AS marks won't contribute to the final A Level grade. I'm taking E. Lit, E. Language and GovPol, so does this mean I'll have to give all my units at the end of my two year course altogether? Isn't there a cash-in option anymore?

So if I give my first two units in may 2016 and the next two in may 2017 it's pointless? I won't get the whole A Level qualification?? Can someone PLEASE explain this asap? My reg starts next month for GCE and I have no idea what's going on!

Reformed A levels don't have modular unit exams. You are tested on all of the 2 years of content in one set of exams at the end of the course. English literature and English language have been reformed. If you choose to take AS exams this year you will be awarded an AS qualification but the results don't count towards your full A level result and what you have learned will be incorporated into the exams you take the following year.
Politics has not yet been reformed and so is currently unaffected by the changes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
So, I can take the Politics exam in two parts, but the not English exams?
I'll be able to give Poltics unit 12 this year, and 34 next year with my Lit and language exams? I'm also giving Law through IAL this year.
Original post by nafisa.t13
So, I can take the Politics exam in two parts, but the not English exams?
I'll be able to give Poltics unit 12 this year, and 34 next year with my Lit and language exams? I'm also giving Law through IAL this year.

Yes
But I don't understand why you are not doing your English through IAL.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by gdunne42
Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's actually because I started studying these papers from Jan 2015 and since I'm from all the way from Bangladesh, I'm not sure if I'm ready for a completely new specification and neither is my teacher. I'll see if anything can be done, though. I just found out about the new spec very recently.
Reply 5
Original post by gdunne42
Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks so much for your help though :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest