The Student Room Group

January Edexcel Chemistry IAL Unit 1 2016 (Thread)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Raghdaelgedawy
There were 2 calculations the first one was using mct and the other one was using the cycle with the arrows and the table provided ... So could someone tell me the answer of both ... Also, that skeletal compound he asked about what was its name and should we mention ( e/z) or not ?? , my answer was 3 methylhex3ene

First one was probably -3030.5 kJ/mol and the second one was -3509.1 kJ/mol.
yeah thats the answer i didnt mention e/z either its not required

what was your answer to atom economy and % yield ?
Original post by tanjimkhan
First one was probably -3030.5 kJ/mol and the second one was -3509.1 kJ/mol.
yeah thats the answer i didnt mention e/z either its not required

what was your answer to atom economy and % yield ?

Economy was 82 percent and yield was seventy something ( 73.5 i think
Reply 102
Original post by tanjimkhan
Yea I also got 4.

mm same at first, but then i thought that each double bond can react with 2 hydrogens so i divided 4 by 2 getting 2
what exam board is it ? what countries you from ?
Original post by ADmuaaz
mm same at first, but then i thought that each double bond can react with 2 hydrogens so i divided 4 by 2 getting 2

According to that question,
1 mole of the alkene reacts with 4 mole of hydrogen gas (H2), so in 4 mole of hydrogen gas, there are 8 hydrogen atoms. So, to hold 8 hydrogen atoms, 4 double bonds are needed.
How was paper 2 guys?!
Reply 106
Not even sure... What was that last question?
Reply 107
Original post by Adorable98
How was paper 2 guys?!

How do you feel about unit 2?
Original post by elhm18
How do you feel about unit 2?

There were to many equations, honestly they should've been the easiest, but I didnt revise for them!
And I definitely lost those 3 marks at the end!
Original post by Electrify
Pretty sure I put the Br- lone pair. I hope it was butane, seriously don't want to get a B from an exam like this.

Do you remember the answer to this multiple-choice question: there were 3 compounds and a table of -ve values were given. I think they were copper sulphate, potassium something and potassium iodide.

A was the asnwer
Original post by Fuwad98
A was the asnwer

What was the question?
How did you guys find the potassium Iodide question? The one where you were supposed to find the mass? I too didnt revise for equations. I definately got the Limewater and Co2 thing wrong. Hope grade boundaries are low. :frown:
Yeah most ppl made a mistake on that one....the answer for both the parts will be 0.33mol...and as jistification i wrote.."potassium iodide/potassium bromide is the limiting reagent which is why the moles of iodine can be found by comparing moles of potassium iodide and iodine."...i also wrote "0.5 moles of cl2 reacts with 1 mol of KI...but only 0.66mols of KI is present"....i no its too big for just one mark...but wth there was space and i didnt wanna compromise😛

Posted from TSR Mobile
What was the answer for the shape of the molecule multiple choice (square pyrimadal)?? I chose Aluminium something?!:frown:
What was the answer for the shape of the molecule multiple choice (square pyrimadal)?? I chose Aluminium something?!:frown:

the answer was XeF4
Reply 115
How was paper 2 guys?!

What is the type of the reaction & mechanism of it?
Original post by hkn
What is the type of the reaction & mechanism of it?

There was only 1 question asking for Reaction type and mechanism and the answer was Substitution(type) Nucleophilic (mechanism)
What was the number of ions of Calcium in one mole of Calcium Hydroxide?
And the number of electrons in one mole of OH- ion?
Original post by erfanullah
what exam board is it ? what countries you from ?

Its edexcel International ALevel and we are international students
Reply 119
Can someone tell me apart from dispersion force are there any more inter molecular forces on iodine mono chloride? And how did you guys drew the LCL3 ?

Quick Reply

Latest