The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Aston University?

Hello!
I am currently an offer holder to study Biomedical Science at Aston University.
I also have an offer from Coventry University but it's not somewhere where I would like to go.
I have been to an open day at aston, and I just didn't like it, it just didn't seem to have a university feel to it, did not like the lecturers and I would prefer to go to a dare I say it a 'better' university.
If anyone here has gone to Aston could you share your experiences? Would you of rather of gone to another university such as Birmingham?
I unfortunately did not get an offer from Birmingham but I will try again on results day as I think the reason why I did not get one was because my predictions were way off their consideration mark.

I am really grateful for any replies :smile:
Thank you!!
Original post by xoharrypotter
Hello!
I also have an offer from Coventry University but it's not somewhere where I would like to go.
I have been to an open day at aston, and I just didn't like it, it just didn't seem to have a university feel to it, did not like the lecturers and I would prefer to go to a dare I say it a 'better' university.
If anyone here has gone to Aston could you share your experiences? Would you of rather of gone to another university such as Birmingham?
I unfortunately did not get an offer from Birmingham but I will try again on results day as I think the reason why I did not get one was because my predictions were way off their consideration mark.

Thank you!!

Hi,

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your time on the open day, you're more than welcome to visit again independently if you want to give it a second go, you can get in touch with [email=" [email protected]"]our outreach team.

Otherwise, i'm here to answer any questions about Aston or Birmingham as a city.

But if you're absolutely set on not coming here, the best course of action will to be either go through clearing or adjustment in August. Adjustment can be done online via UCAS if you achieve grades higher than the entry requirements you "firm choiced" you will find an adjustment option when logging into UCAS on deadline.

If you fail to meet the entry requirements or match them, you will need to enter clearing, to do this you will need to ring us and Coventry up and ask to be released into clearing.

Additionally if you wish to withdraw your application beforehand, UCAS have some helpful advice.

Good luck with your decision.

Josh :smile:
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Original post by Aston University
Hi,

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your time on the open day, you're more than welcome to visit again independently if you want to give it a second go, you can get in touch with [email="" [email"][email protected]
"]our outreach team.

Otherwise, i'm here to answer any questions about Aston or Birmingham as a city.

But if you're absolutely set on not coming here, the best course of action will to be either go through clearing or adjustment in August. Adjustment can be done online via UCAS if you achieve grades higher than the entry requirements you "firm choiced" you will find an adjustment option when logging into UCAS on deadline.

If you fail to meet the entry requirements or match them, you will need to enter clearing, to do this you will need to ring us and Coventry up and ask to be released into clearing.

Additionally if you wish to withdraw your application beforehand, UCAS have some helpful advice.

Good luck with your decision.

Josh :smile:
Hello!
Thank you for the reply
I will be coming again to the applicant day on the 17th and hopefully I will like it more. In all honesty it is somewhere where I could possibly go but I have my heart set on Birmingham so I really would prefer to go there.
I know a lot about Birmingham as I live 30 minutes away but I would really appreciate it if you told me a little bit more about Aston such as the type of experience you had (assuming you went there) the atmosphere and the support you got while you were there (like tutors and stuff)
Also i've heard that they are opening a Medical school and would there be a transfer option after 1st year if you do well?
Like leicester has an option where if you do well in your first year clear the UKCAT and the interviews then they can offer you a place on their first year medicine course.
If Aston has that then I will definately consider going there because Medicine is something I am really passionate about and I am looking to apply to Graduate Medicine after my first degree, but if I can get there earlier (applying to undergrad was not an option for me) then it would hugely help me.
Thank you so much I look forward to hearing from you :smile:
Hello!
Thank you for the reply
I will be coming again to the applicant day on the 17th and hopefully I will like it more. In all honesty it is somewhere where I could possibly go but I have my heart set on Birmingham so I really would prefer to go there.
I know a lot about Birmingham as I live 30 minutes away but I would really appreciate it if you told me a little bit more about Aston such as the type of experience you had (assuming you went there) the atmosphere and the support you got while you were there (like tutors and stuff)
Also i've heard that they are opening a Medical school and would there be a transfer option after 1st year if you do well?
Like leicester has an option where if you do well in your first year clear the UKCAT and the interviews then they can offer you a place on their first year medicine course.
If Aston has that then I will definately consider going there because Medicine is something I am really passionate about and I am looking to apply to Graduate Medicine after my first degree, but if I can get there earlier (applying to undergrad was not an option for me) then it would hugely help me.

Glad to hear you're giving us a second chance

I did indeed do my undergraduate degree at Aston, in terms of the atmosphere i loved my time here. University can be a little daunting at first, so you have to throw yourself in feet first, after somewhat of a lonely first year, that's exactly what i did.

The people at Aston were great both on an academic and a social level during my undergrad, if you wanted to debate and engage on an academic level there were people to bounce ideas off, talk exam strategy ect. If you're looking for something a bit more social clubs and societies are amazing. There is even a Harry Potter society, where you can meet fellow muggles. :wink:

Unfortunately i can't discuss the medical school in too much depth as a great deal of what i know is on non-disclosure right now. The best course of action is to email Rachel Burn.

Anything else just give me a shout. :smile:

Josh
Reply 4
Hello!
Thank you for the reply

Are you aware that Aston's fees for their med school (which will be a self-funding school of study) will be in line with those charged by INTERNATIONAL students?.......i.e.....over £30k per year. (Similar to The University of Buckingham's and UCLAN's medicine courses).

http://www.aston.ac.uk/aston-medical-school/faqs/
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by NHSFan
Are you aware that Aston's fees for their med school (which will be a self-funding school of study) will be in line with those charged by INTERNATIONAL students?.......i.e.....over £30k per year. (Similar to The University of Buckingham's and UCLAN's medicine courses).

http://www.aston.ac.uk/aston-medical-school/faqs/

thats ridiculous
who could afford to pay that much? even with a loan you would be in debt for years
Reply 6
thats ridiculous
who could afford to pay that much? even with a loan you would be in debt for years

Yup! It will be for those from very wealthy families and internationals, just like Buckingham and UCLAN.

P.S. With fees of £9k and loans, you would also be in debt for years!
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi all,

It’s difficult to comment at the moment as a lot of the final decisions haven’t been made, policies set etc. and I don’t know all the details. But I want to help you the best I can with an unusual and technical funding model.

As I understand it the government (HFCE) normally support medical training in the UK by “topping up” medical students fees to cover tuition, as teaching Medical students is much more expensive than teaching other subjects. The government aren’t offering us that top up unfortunately. The below is also taken from our FAQs and explains it quite well.

Traditionally, UK Medical Schools receive Band A funding from HEFCE (the Higher Education Funding Council for England) which acknowledges the significantly higher costs of a medical education compared to a large majority of other Higher Education programmes. As things currently stand there is no more Band A funding available for universities to apply to so Aston University is unable to adopt a traditional model of medical education in the UK.

As such we have a funding issue doctors are expensive to train and we wont get enough funding to train entirely British doctors. So to make this happen many of the students will have to be International students, as they already pay the full cost of their tuition and we would not have to subsidise them.

However as a UK uni, with a real commitment to our area, we are not happy to run it purely for International students and have decided to subsidize 20 local students from 2018. It might not look like a subsidy from the outside in - as these students will still be required to pay the usual £9k but there is a big funding gap we have to plug.

I appreciate it’s a complicated funding model, but I can assure you no one is getting rich out of it. We are simply having to be creative with how we fund the School, and we are committed to ensuring that 20 students who would not normally get the opportunity to study medicine do just that.
Reply 8
Hello!

Thank you!!

Would have probably rather gone to any other uni. Didn't go to open days, got through on clearing and I was very happy to have a place. The vibe is quite weird. It is very different from unis i've visited to see friends. Pretty much nobody gets a house in second and third year. The union is pretty cliquey. Unless you enjoy peer pressure and drinking games, the sports societies aren't for you. Birmingham is a pretty crappy city too, and campus is not on the nicest part of it
Original post by ffx6t
Would have probably rather gone to any other uni. Didn't go to open days, got through on clearing and I was very happy to have a place. The vibe is quite weird. It is very different from unis i've visited to see friends. Pretty much nobody gets a house in second and third year. The union is pretty cliquey. Unless you enjoy peer pressure and drinking games, the sports societies aren't for you. Birmingham is a pretty crappy city too, and campus is not on the nicest part of it

yeah i didn't really feel for it...
i've firmed it but if i can manage to get a place at warwick on results day i'll be going there instead :-)
Reply 10
yeah i didn't really feel for it...
i've firmed it but if i can manage to get a place at warwick on results day i'll be going there instead :-)

Try and get in at Warwick. If it falls on Aston, think about it. Go for first term and see how it goes but really don't push yourself for it. I wish I had the balls to drop out but I didn't. I'd have been better off if I had because I haven't really enjoyed it at all, which is a shame, because uni is meant to be sick, and I had really enjoyed education up to that point
Original post by ffx6t
Try and get in at Warwick. If it falls on Aston, think about it. Go for first term and see how it goes but really don't push yourself for it. I wish I had the balls to drop out but I didn't. I'd have been better off if I had because I haven't really enjoyed it at all, which is a shame, because uni is meant to be sick, and I had really enjoyed education up to that point

i could never drop out of uni so if i don't manage to get in at warwick or birmingham either will do then i'll just reapply for a different subject elsewhere, i'd much rather do that then go to aston and really hate it there, the people, the atmosphere it just wasn't really for me, i grew up in a completely different environment than the people who were at the open day and im worried i wont make any friends as im quite different to the people i met there
even my parents weren't to keen on the place tbh
Reply 12
i could never drop out of uni so if i don't manage to get in at warwick or birmingham either will do then i'll just reapply for a different subject elsewhere, i'd much rather do that then go to aston and really hate it there, the people, the atmosphere it just wasn't really for me, i grew up in a completely different environment than the people who were at the open day and im worried i wont make any friends as im quite different to the people i met there
even my parents weren't to keen on the place tbh

Yeah well as I say, I didn't know what it was going to be like until I got there. Should've dropped out after first term and reapplied for the next year or something. At least you know not to come. Good luck with whatever you do!
I went to Aston and have zero regrets, having turned down Uni of Leeds for it. I had the best four years there.

Quick Reply

Latest