The Student Room Group

20th Jan: Battling the January blues? #BlueMonday

Following on from #BlueMonday, on this week’s Surgery we’ll be talking about keeping the blues at bay.

Whether it's for you, or someone you know, that’s feeling a little bit sad, feeling depressed or maybe having other feelings about mental health that you want help on working through, let us know here and we’ll do our best to help on the show on Wednesday night on Radio 1 at 9pm.

Please note: you can post anonymously in this forum
Reply 1
Original post by BBC Radio 1
Following on from #BlueMonday, on this week’s Surgery we’ll be talking about keeping the blues at bay.

Whether it's for you, or someone you know, that’s feeling a little bit sad, feeling depressed or maybe having other feelings about mental health that you want help on working through, let us know here and we’ll do our best to help on the show on Wednesday night on Radio 1 at 9pm.

This year, January has actually got off to a flying start for me - which is so unusual. I usually find myself with no money after Christmas and the motivation of a sloth to do anything fun. At the beginning of January I did feel the anxieties of going back to work but this has now lifted and although I'm back in a routine, love keeping busy! :smile:
Reply 2
My college teacher seems to think I have the January blues when i went and spoke to him the first week back. But iv'e seriously lost all motivation for something that I was enjoying up until christmas. Everyone in my class now seems to ignore me and I feel like the outcast in everything that we do. I'm seriously considering dropping. All this definitely isn't the January blues, it's something more. Last January I was working full time and everything was great..
January blues have got me bad! I'm trying very hard to keep going with my college work and extra activities but I keep burning out. Blues and depression is never a good combination. Motivation levels are down and stress levels are up, and now I'm falling behind. I know we've just had the Christmas holidays but I feel in dire need of a break.
Reply 4
Original post by raleighs
January blues have got me bad! I'm trying very hard to keep going with my college work and extra activities but I keep burning out. Blues and depression is never a good combination. Motivation levels are down and stress levels are up, and now I'm falling behind. I know we've just had the Christmas holidays but I feel in dire need of a break.

College work is often hard the other side of Christmas but keep going, everything will soon fall into place. With your work, how about taking a 5-10 minute break every hour you're doing your work just to take your mind off of it - used to help me quite a bit :smile:

Good luck anyway :smile:
Original post by Pickles
College work is often hard the other side of Christmas but keep going, everything will soon fall into place. With your work, how about taking a 5-10 minute break every hour you're doing your work just to take your mind off of it - used to help me quite a bit :smile:

Good luck anyway :smile:

You're right, things should settle down soon enough. Just need to remember to take a break! Thank you!
Is there anyone struggling in their first year of psychology? I have been diagnosed with anxiety and depression and just cannot get the hang of writing the essays i feel so thick and stupid. Im currently trying to write an essay on cognitive language development for fundamental psychology module. Does anyone have any tips or advice?
I found the start of this year really challenging. I came back working in Japan for 4 months and had to get used to being back in the UK. It was my decision to come back, but it was still hard to readjust. I was hoping me and an ex could get back together again, but that blew up in my face and I found that I own no more than £100 in the bank after the cost of leaving Japan and travelling a bit around Japan and HK before coming back to the UK. I'm trying to keep healthy with exercise and meditation, but January does feel like a slog tbh.

In the middle of prelims as they flew in hating life parents are constantly on my back to revise and do chores at the same time. I am struggling with all my subjects at school "fighting a losing battle" is what i'd say I'm doing after this exams come and I am terrified for my future and pretty much everything that's academic in nature. I also recently split with my girlfriend who does not want to be friends with me (really don't know why I was trying my hardest but who am I to question her choice) To add to this not slept in 3 days surviving on energy drinks and cannot focus one bit.

I've lost all motivation and get distracted so easily!!

Quick Reply

Latest