The Student Room Group

Do you see women's body's as 'damaged' when they reach menopause?

I'm female and always have the idea that I will feel damaged when I'm around age 40 due to lack of fertility. I don't think I'l be having kids as I want to focus on lots of other things plus I'm terrified of being pregnant/having something growing inside me but still when menopause hits I think that I'l feel broken as though part of me doesn't work, even though it is a natural process. I kind of wish I was male so though my body will work throughout life. I like my body and strive to be as healthy and fit as I can be maybe this has something to do with how I think about menopause. Just wondered what are your opinions on this and menopause.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I'm female and always have the idea that I will feel damaged when I'm around age 40 due to lack of fertility. I don't think I'l be having kids as I want to focus on lots of other things plus I'm terrified of being pregnant/having something growing inside me but still when menopause hits I think that I'l feel broken as though part of me doesn't work, even though it is a natural process. I kind of wish I was male so though my body will work throughout life. I like my body and strive to be as healthy and fit as I can be maybe this has something to do with how I think about menopause. Just wondered what are your opinions on this and menopause.

No, not at all.
My mum had her menopause aged 47. I guess it's different for most women but don't worry about it too much :smile:

No, more past its sell by date
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't know enough about the menopause to judge either way. :redface:
There is a reason women outlive menopause! It's not a failing of the body at all some scientists believe it's due to living in families where there is a role for an older carer that is not competing with the younger women to procreate. Don't forget as a whole women still outlive men and all women go through menopause so clearly it's not menopause = body fail :tongue:!

Just look after yourself as best you can throughout your life and then when you come to your menopause work closely with your doctor to improve your symptoms through the menopause. HRT is not really necessary and if it can be avoided it should be.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by The Reality
No, more passed its sell by date

Past its sell by date for what though, women can get sex fairly easy until an old age and lots of men would be up for a relationship, though she might have to find a man older than her someone who sees her as youthful.
Wtf you should be happy, no more periods, no more need to use contraception etc.
Reply 8
Original post by Little Popcorns
There is a reason women outlive menopause! It's not a failing of the body at all some scientists believe it's due to living in families where there is a role for an older carer that is not competing with the younger women to procreate. Don't forget as a whole women still outlive men and all women go through menopause so clearly it's not menopause = body fail :tongue:!

Just look after yourself as best you can throughout your life and then when you come to your menopause work closely with your doctor to improve your symptoms through the menopause. HRT is not really necessary and if it can be avoided it should be.

It doesn't stop them competing though just means they can't reproduce. I don't want to be caring anyway. What is the role of an older man then since men don't lose fertility, yet the younger stronger men will be comming through.
Reply 9
Original post by driftawaay
Wtf you should be happy, no more periods, no more need to use contraception etc.

and no chance of a baby if I change my mind. I want to do other things before age 40 I will have plenty of time when I'm older for caring and will be in a better position but then I will have no fertility.
and no chance of a baby if I change my mind. I want to do other things before age 40 I will have plenty of time when I'm older for caring and will be in a better position but then I will have no fertility.

aritificial insemination and adoption are still options. u can freeze ur eggs bb.

If you want to have a baby, you don't wait until 40.
Original post by cherryred90s
If you want to have a baby, you don't wait until 40.

That's my point, if I was a man I could have fun u til I was 50 then have a baby. I I don't want one before 40 though as I want to do other things like travel, progress in a career and get a mortgage.
It doesn't stop them competing though just means they can't reproduce. I don't want to be caring anyway. What is the role of an older man then since men don't lose fertility, yet the younger stronger men will be comming through.

They can fight amongst eachother while we spread the love... joke :tongue: :getmecoat:

It's a scientific perspective it doesn't obviously fit with how everyone might want to live in the 21st century but yeah just one theory. I'm not asking you to set up house and home just trying to make you realise it's not a failing/dead end. You can still reach orgasm until you're elderly as can men so no reason you shouldn't be 'enjoying' yourself.
I don't want children! But if I do change my mind when in around 40/50 I'd love to adopt a child

Original post by Little Popcorns

Also raising human babies to maturity is really hard compared to other animals. It's likely a reason we live so long. Having grandparents to help parents bring up children is actually important and improves/improved chance of survival of the infant. Old people are still needed basically. There is (or at least was) a selection pressure to have grandparents around when their children had children of their own. Although what with modern medicine and cultural changes, industrialization etc we have added a decade onto when we do these things. Children at 30 instead of 20 etc. Living to 80 rather than 60 (if you were lucky).

Also sex in humans isn't a purely reproduction thing. A lot of it is about bonding and again it keeps both parents together which increases chance of offspring survival. Basically you can still orgasm and enjoy sex even when fertility goes down or vanishes and still serves a "purpose"
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Also raising human babies to maturity is really hard compared to other animals. It's likely a reason we live so long. Having grandparents to help parents bring up children is actually important and improves/improved chance of survival of the infant. Old people are still needed basically. There is (or at least was) a selection pressure to have grandparents around when their children had children of their own. Although what with modern medicine and cultural changes, industrialization etc we have added a decade onto when we do these things. Children at 30 instead of 20 etc. Living to 80 rather than 60 (if you were lucky).

Also sex in humans isn't a purely reproduction thing. A lot of it is about bonding and again it keeps both parents together which increases chance of offspring survival. Basically you can still orgasm and enjoy sex even when fertility goes down or vanishes and still serves a "purpose"
EEEEEhxactly
just have kids before 30.
I will probably have to have a hysterectomy when I'm in my late thirties/early forties, and I worry about the psychological and emotional impact of having my reproductive organs removed (Am I still a woman? What is the point of me if I can't reproduce? Will my partner still find me sexy? Will I still enjoy sex?) and also the physiological effect of sudden changes in hormone levels, major surgery, etc.

I think I'm more worried about that than I would be about the natural process of menopause....
Absolutely not. A woman's body isn't "damaged" by menopause. The physical changes that a woman undergoes during menopause do not constitute "damage", at least not in my book. It's a natural process and should not be viewed in an overly negative way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending