The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Half of the problem is we've not had a consistent team at any point this season, when was the last time we started the same XI for more than two consecutive games? The team can't gel because it's always being changed. It'll take at least until the end of the season to determine a 'true' starting XI.

We've played with very similar teams recently (though not out of choice but because of injuries) eg the only difference between Arsenal/Man Utd was that Lucas came in for Ibe.
Brendan Rodgers has claimed that he did not have the final say on transfer policy during his time as manager of Liverpool, and that certain players, including Mario Balotelli, were only signed because “the owners are wanting you to go down that route.”

After missing out on the signing of Alexis Sánchez in the summer 2014, Balotelli moved to Anfield for £16m, but failed to make a lasting impression on Merseyside last season, and was subsequently loaned to Milan. After Liverpool’s slow start to this campaign, Rodgers was sacked in October and replaced by Jürgen Klopp, but Rodgers spoke out on Sunday regarding the club’s recruitment policy.

“As a manager you’ll always be the figurehead but there’s a recruitment team in place - guys who’ll work very hard,” Rodgers told Sky Sports. “It was a group decision; it was certainly not something where I would have the sole final say. It’s difficult because you want a player in but if the player is not on the list, you’d have to take someone.”

“We needed a player who could press at the top of the pitch; it wasn’t just a goalscorer we were after because Luis Suárez was giving us so much more than that. After a friendly against Milan, I was asked the question and I felt Mario wasn’t someone who suited the profile of what we were after. But come the end of the summer when we were struggling to get in the type of player we wanted, the ownership thought this was perhaps a player I could develop.

“He’s a wonderful talent, there’s no doubt about that; you see him on the training ground every day tall, strong, great touch. They were thinking this is a £50m player we could maybe get for £16m. When the owners are wanting you to go down that route and there’s no other option, you give it a go.”

Rodgers said he had identified Sánchez, then playing for Barcelona, as somebody better suited to the tactical system he wished to implement, and also claimed that Dele Alli was another target that Liverpool were unable to secure.

“The huge blow was that we thought we were getting Alexis Sánchez and that he’d be a like-for-like replacement [for Suárez] in terms of how he pressed the game, his aggression,” Rodgers said. “We thought he’d be perfect, it’d be a smooth transition and Rickie Lambert would come in and be an option if we needed something else in the game. But we didn’t get Alexis Sánchez and, bless Rickie, there was a lot of pressure on him when really that wasn’t the plan. So we had to bring in someone, Mario has big talent I wasn’t thinking I’d be any different in terms of managers who’ve had issues with him and at that moment, we didn’t really have another option. It was something that didn’t quite work for us and it cost us.”

“I spoke to [Dele Alli] and Karl Robinson, the manager of MK Dons, drove him down to us,” Rodgers continued. “It was all above board. Karl told me: ‘I’ve got a player I think’s going to be fantastic and I’d love to see him at Liverpool.’ We watched him, he wanted to come but unfortunately it never got done between the clubs. It was disappointing.”

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jan/18/brendan-rodgers-liverpool-mario-balotelli-alexis-sanchez
Original post by jam277
Klopp has had loads of injuries and very little time to fix the squad. Liverpool are struggling for goals because their best striker has been injured for the entire season basically, their other striker is misfiring to an extent and the team are not suited to playing to his strengths, they have an attacking midfielder playing up top and before that they had a 20 year old striker who is in his first season in the prem so was obviously going to struggle with any form of consistency.

So I believe that Klopp deserves time and that this season should be a write off. Matter of fact is that Liverpool are in a very good position to win silverware this season(something that hasn't been done for 3 years) which is a base to bigger and better things. At least Klopp can make Liverpool a cup team and get them in the top 4, that can be a base for them to build on(see e.g. Simeone at Atlético if you want an example of that)

100% this.

We need to be analysing Klopp in May 2017, or even May 2018. Not now.

He needs players - and goalscorers. Then we can judge him. You look at the Liverpool side yesterday, and you look at the most likely goalscorers: Firmino first, probably, and then Henderson and Lallana. Compare that three with what Rodgers had - Suarez, Sturridge, Gerrard - and what Benitez boasted (Gerrard, Torres, Kuyt).
Liverpool youngster Jerome Sinclair will leave Anfield when his contract expires in the summer.

The Reds offered the striker a new deal but the 19-year-old wants to explore the possibility of a move to Spain.

Sinclair became Liverpool's youngest player in 2012 when he came off the bench in a League Cup tie at West Brom, aged 16 years and six days.

He made his first start in the FA Cup tie at Exeter on 8 January, scoring Liverpool's opener in the 2-2 draw.
Original post by Zerforax
Liverpool youngster Jerome Sinclair will leave Anfield when his contract expires in the summer.

The Reds offered the striker a new deal but the 19-year-old wants to explore the possibility of a move to Spain.

Sinclair became Liverpool's youngest player in 2012 when he came off the bench in a League Cup tie at West Brom, aged 16 years and six days.

He made his first start in the FA Cup tie at Exeter on 8 January, scoring Liverpool's opener in the 2-2 draw.

Same agent as Sterling apparently, wanted big money
Original post by Angry cucumber
Same agent as Sterling apparently, wanted big money

Think we get even less money if he moves abroad rather than to an English club.

Ah well.. you win some, you lose some I guess.

Wonder if he will start against Exeter still? Would people play the same line-up or a better team and try to progress in cups?
We don't lose with Sinclair anyway, he's bang average and not been good enough to threaten the squad despite all the striking ****e we've had the last 18 months. There's literally nothing special about his game and no way he makes it as a PL player in the next few years.
Original post by sevchenko
Feels like your exaggerating valid factors in order to unnecessarily write off the entire season.

This current squad, even though this Klopp's first season, has pulled of some pretty big results and put in excellent performances worthy of a top four team you can't on the other hand say "Oh, we lost. Not Klopp's fault at all, hasn't had any time" When you nearly overwhelmed Arsenal few days ago with the same injury hit team.

I get that this is a transition season but he took over with 30 PL games left, top four was and is still achievable.

Klopp doesn't have the squad to maintain that consistency of pulling off big results though especially with an injury hit squad playing so many games.

Minus Sturridge, even our fully fit squad would still struggle to get into top 4, last season proved that and the signings we made last summer are so far not pushing us to 4th place. Yh we are missing a suitable striker but the fact is we are too reliant on goals only coming from a striker and not from our other forwards who need to contribute.

Klopp needing to make some signings coupled with our injury crises is why some of us are writing this season off. He probably deserves criticism for the games lost against West Ham, Watford, Newcastle but I guess we are willing to give some leniency as it's his first season in the PL and the squad is full of short weaklings which doesn't help, hopefully he will learn how to better approach those types of games.

As for the United game, only thing I would say is Klopp should of brought on Benteke earlier but we should of been a couple of goals up by then, poor set piece defending and poor finishing cost us. Everything else was fine really.
(edited 8 years ago)

A good read tbh
Original post by Pn94
The highlighted bit is what jars me. We won't even finish 7th the way we're going, which is frankly awful. In the short term I expected a small improvement on Rodgers, at least - but we find ourselves unable to string any form of consistency together.

I have faith in Klopp but the honeymoon period is well and truly over.

Compared to the Rodgers era, we have improved in the big games and has given Liverpool fans some encouragement and hope of what Klopp can do in the future. It's the other games which we have regressed but it's not much worse than the first half of 14/15. Theres only so much Klopp can do really, this season is one of those situations where things will get worse before they get better.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yeah, you look at many successful teams that have not had a striker firing at ridiculous rates because their midfield/wingers are capable of getting a lot of goals. Chelsea e.g. have had Lampard, our CBs + Ivanovic and Mata(and prior to this season Hazard), Arsenal have used Ramsey, Sanchez and Walcott in recent years, Bayern had Robben, Muller and Ribery chipping in heavily during the 12/13 season despite having an okay striker in Mandzukic.

A top striker scoring loads of goals is important, but they can always be shared across the field. Henderson e.g. could be contributing more goals. Firmino does have a few goals in him too but he's obviously acclimatising to the league. Can could come in with a few. That is the real issue with Liverpool, Suarez leaving Liverpool was obviously going to be a blow, but would it have been as much of a blow to a team like Bayern, Chelsea or Arsenal, when they have other goalscoring alternatives other than up front?
Original post by jam277
Yeah, you look at many successful teams that have not had a striker firing at ridiculous rates because their midfield/wingers are capable of getting a lot of goals. Chelsea e.g. have had Lampard, our CBs + Ivanovic and Mata(and prior to this season Hazard), Arsenal have used Ramsey, Sanchez and Walcott in recent years, Bayern had Robben, Muller and Ribery chipping in heavily during the 12/13 season despite having an okay striker in Mandzukic.

A top striker scoring loads of goals is important, but they can always be shared across the field. Henderson e.g. could be contributing more goals. Firmino does have a few goals in him too but he's obviously acclimatising to the league. Can could come in with a few. That is the real issue with Liverpool, Suarez leaving Liverpool was obviously going to be a blow, but would it have been as much of a blow to a team like Bayern, Chelsea or Arsenal, when they have other goalscoring alternatives other than up front?

Think Lallana will end up with leaving for this reason, he has very little end product. He is a good player on the ball but frustrates the hell out of you when he tends to take a million touches and turns essentially hampering your attack, would of maybe been alright if he had pace but he doesn't. Milner doesn't offer a lot apart from penalties. Coutinho really is our only forward who has improved his end product but even he is inconsistent, Firmino has shown encouraging signs but we expect to see more next season.

We do need a CM capable of scoring goals, Henderson doesn't have the finishing ability Ramsey has, will grab some goals but not enough, another CM needs to contribute. Lucas hasn't scored for ages and Can is still young and developing other more important areas of his game.

Our CB's could probably chip in more goals from set pieces but are given **** service, we don't have a single decent set piece taker in this team. Can't remember the last time we have scored from a set piece before the Arsenal game and it's frustrating as **** considering we concede them on a regular basis...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jam277

Main issue was losing losing Suarez (top scorer) and then Sturridge being basically perpetually injured since and then Gerrard also leaving the following year. Basically lost our 3 "goalscorers" in the space of a summer/12 months.

If those 3 are in your team, you'd expect at least 50 goals from them.
"Mignolet signs new 5 year deal - rumours of a 30m release clause."

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gob Bluth
"Mignolet signs new 5 year deal - rumours of a 30m release clause."

Posted from TSR Mobile

*sigh*

My day just got worse :frown:
Original post by samir12
. Coutinho really is our only forward who has improved his end product but even he is inconsistent

He hasn't, I think he's got worse. He's now the biggest volume shooter in the league and he has **** all to show for it
Original post by jam277
Klopp has had loads of injuries and very little time to fix the squad. Liverpool are struggling for goals because their best striker has been injured for the entire season basically, their other striker is misfiring to an extent and the team are not suited to playing to his strengths, they have an attacking midfielder playing up top and before that they had a 20 year old striker who is in his first season in the prem so was obviously going to struggle with any form of consistency.

So I believe that Klopp deserves time and that this season should be a write off. Matter of fact is that Liverpool are in a very good position to win silverware this season(something that hasn't been done for 3 years) which is a base to bigger and better things. At least Klopp can make Liverpool a cup team and get them in the top 4, that can be a base for them to build on(see e.g. Simeone at Atlético if you want an example of that)

Thanks for all the effort you went to to put across your argument, but I have to admit I was really just trying to wind up Luke. I didn't really mean it all..

My bad :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hayles101
Thanks for all the effort you went to to put across your argument, but I have to admit I was really just trying to wind up Luke. I didn't really mean it all..

My bad :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

#obsessed

Don't have time for blondes, sorry.
Teams have De Gea or Courtois or Hart or Cech or Lloris but we have ****ing Mignolet

Latest