The Student Room Group
Students relaxing outside, University of Chester
University of Chester
Chester
Visit website

Should I go to Chester?

Hi guys, I've been given an unconditional offer to go to the University of Chester. I am not sure whether I should say yes, or whether I should say yes to Canterbury Christ Church. Can any current students help me decide?
The choice is entirely yours. I guess you could do and look at the uni's statistics regarding student satisfaction and employment rates after graduations etc.

In my own experience I really like Chester. It's a small city so isn't very intimidating but also big enough you can be anonymous. I study at Kingsway so I don't know the specifics about Parkgate but it's a pretty nice campus :smile:
Students relaxing outside, University of Chester
University of Chester
Chester
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by liveinvanilla
The choice is entirely yours. I guess you could do and look at the uni's statistics regarding student satisfaction and employment rates after graduations etc.

In my own experience I really like Chester. It's a small city so isn't very intimidating but also big enough you can be anonymous. I study at Kingsway so I don't know the specifics about Parkgate but it's a pretty nice campus :smile:

Thanks for the reply :smile: I just want to go somewhere that I can get an old round good experience. I want somewhere I can be really social but obviously enjoy and have success in my course. Is Parkgate the main campus then? Are there lots of opportunities to make friends with people who aren't on your course? :smile:
Original post by ShaunMahony
Thanks for the reply :smile: I just want to go somewhere that I can get an old round good experience. I want somewhere I can be really social but obviously enjoy and have success in my course. Is Parkgate the main campus then? Are there lots of opportunities to make friends with people who aren't on your course? :smile:

What are you studying? Parkgate is the main campus overall.

I found it quite easy to meet people (and I'm not overly social anyway and also don't live on campus). There are a tonne of sports and societies you can join. During Freshers week there is a big fair were you can go talk to people who run them. Or check out the student union website.
Reply 4
Original post by liveinvanilla
What are you studying? Parkgate is the main campus overall.

I found it quite easy to meet people (and I'm not overly social anyway and also don't live on campus). There are a tonne of sports and societies you can join. During Freshers week there is a big fair were you can go talk to people who run them. Or check out the student union website.

Studying Marketing, and thanks that sounds great! I think I'll have to visit to decide which to choose
Hey,
I'm in my first year at Chester ATM and I'm loving it! The campus is nice and the lecturers are great. Chester itself so pretty and there's something for everyone day and night. it's great for quiet nights out (which I personally prefer) and louder nights if that's what you prefer?
But of course it's your choice... Absolutely no one in the world can tell what's Best But you :smile:
Good luck
Reply 6
Original post by MattyR1996
Hey,
I'm in my first year at Chester ATM and I'm loving it! The campus is nice and the lecturers are great. Chester itself so pretty and there's something for everyone day and night. it's great for quiet nights out (which I personally prefer) and louder nights if that's what you prefer?
But of course it's your choice... Absolutely no one in the world can tell what's Best But you :smile:
Good luck

That's a good point, no one else can tell! But yeah I think I might be more into 'loud nights' haha but it's always good to mix it up! Would you say somewhere it's I can get a full uni experience? I just want to experience it all 😁 thanks
Im in 2nd year at chester. Marketing will be at the queens park campus near riverside. They just opened queens park for a business school in september 2015 with a library especially for marketing, accounting, buisness students only. So all.books are for us and staff have a good knowledge as its a buisness school libraru Im studyibg accounting and finance and have just done a module in marketing. If you get Jane as your lecture you will pass love it. She makes the course fun and makes sure everyone understands what shes talking about. If you want to stay in halls that will be on parkgate campus. About 20mins walk to queens park.
Chester tho is a lovely safe place to be. The sites are beautiful, the nightlife is good and overall I think you will have a good experience. But I would go and view it all first before you make your mind up
Reply 8
Original post by Katyaleah1986
Im in 2nd year at chester. Marketing will be at the queens park campus near riverside. They just opened queens park for a business school in september 2015 with a library especially for marketing, accounting, buisness students only. So all.books are for us and staff have a good knowledge as its a buisness school libraru Im studyibg accounting and finance and have just done a module in marketing. If you get Jane as your lecture you will pass love it. She makes the course fun and makes sure everyone understands what shes talking about. If you want to stay in halls that will be on parkgate campus. About 20mins walk to queens park.
Chester tho is a lovely safe place to be. The sites are beautiful, the nightlife is good and overall I think you will have a good experience. But I would go and view it all first before you make your mind up

Thanks very much, you guys a helpful 😊 are the campuses quite far away from each other? I wouldn't want to be cut off from others on the basis of which course I'm doing
That's a good point, no one else can tell! But yeah I think I might be more into 'loud nights' haha but it's always good to mix it up! Would you say somewhere it's I can get a full uni experience? I just want to experience it all 😁 thanks

I'd say so... There's like millions of societies you can join (I do archery) and although there isn't s huge choice of nightclubs there's still lots of nice pubs and the student union bar does lots of events. So you'll deffo be able to experience it all.
Thanks very much, you guys a helpful 😊 are the campuses quite far away from each other? I wouldn't want to be cut off from others on the basis of which course I'm doing

Its not to far if you are living on campus or want to go SU bar, but honestly each day you will be with your class mates. Im 30 and married with 3 kids and was going to uni and not intending of making friends I was going to work hard and go library during lectures, but nope I made a lovely group of friends aged from 19 to 34 and we are always together each class, each break everything and its great as we work together and help each other, so dont feel like you will be isolated as you definetly wont. Every one seems to stick to there classes during the day as its just easier and then at the end of the day people meet up with house mates and others and go drinking or meet in the library (theres a library on every campus) Honestly CHester is a good uni to go to, but please go and view it first and get a feel. I tried MMU but didnt like the atmosphere but went chester and loved it
Original post by Katyaleah1986
Its not to far if you are living on campus or want to go SU bar, but honestly each day you will be with your class mates. Im 30 and married with 3 kids and was going to uni and not intending of making friends I was going to work hard and go library during lectures, but nope I made a lovely group of friends aged from 19 to 34 and we are always together each class, each break everything and its great as we work together and help each other, so dont feel like you will be isolated as you definetly wont. Every one seems to stick to there classes during the day as its just easier and then at the end of the day people meet up with house mates and others and go drinking or meet in the library (theres a library on every campus) Honestly CHester is a good uni to go to, but please go and view it first and get a feel. I tried MMU but didnt like the atmosphere but went chester and loved it

Thanks so much! Those are some really good points :smile: I'm definitely going to book an applicant day. I'm really excited for it
Thanks so much! Those are some really good points :smile: I'm definitely going to book an applicant day. I'm really excited for it

Hi Shaun,

I'm a first year student at the University of Chester. I don't study marketing so unfortunately cannot reinforce your decision on that front. But I can talk to you about the social side of university here. The societies and sports are great. You do pay for a year membership/half year membership. Societies are usually cheap (£5 for the year), sports are usually around £40 for the year but it's well worth it! Most sports train at least 3 times a week and go on several trips to tournaments, games etc. I'm part of the ultimate frisbee team. You also get 3 taster sessions for sports so you don't have to join if you haven't enjoyed those! You get to try out what you want. Obviously this is a great way to meet people. Depending on which sports you're in, you'll have socials at different levels of frequency. We do nights out, but not only that. We go to laser quest, bowling, mini golf, cinema. The nights out are a great laugh, you'll have challenges (such as take a selfie with a member of public, make a sea shanty - for our pirate social and sing it to a member of the public) it's great fun! There's no pressure to drink but most people do! Obviously fancy dress is a thing, pirates, cops and robbers, noah's arc etc.

I also do volunteering events and Employability training, where I've met a lot of people. Obviously you meet people on your course too and your department will strive to mix you with as many people as possible. Then you have friends from your accommodation.

Ultimately Shaun, it's really about how much you sign up to. Some of my flat mates only have friends in our accommodation. They haven't made an effort in lectures to sit next to people, haven't signed up to sports/societies and just sleep all the time. So really it's an individual thing. But the University offer a lot and you should attempt to sign up to as much as possible!

Hope to see you next year!
Original post by JTBullen
Hi Shaun,

I'm a first year student at the University of Chester. I don't study marketing so unfortunately cannot reinforce your decision on that front. But I can talk to you about the social side of university here. The societies and sports are great. You do pay for a year membership/half year membership. Societies are usually cheap (£5 for the year), sports are usually around £40 for the year but it's well worth it! Most sports train at least 3 times a week and go on several trips to tournaments, games etc. I'm part of the ultimate frisbee team. You also get 3 taster sessions for sports so you don't have to join if you haven't enjoyed those! You get to try out what you want. Obviously this is a great way to meet people. Depending on which sports you're in, you'll have socials at different levels of frequency. We do nights out, but not only that. We go to laser quest, bowling, mini golf, cinema. The nights out are a great laugh, you'll have challenges (such as take a selfie with a member of public, make a sea shanty - for our pirate social and sing it to a member of the public) it's great fun! There's no pressure to drink but most people do! Obviously fancy dress is a thing, pirates, cops and robbers, noah's arc etc.

I also do volunteering events and Employability training, where I've met a lot of people. Obviously you meet people on your course too and your department will strive to mix you with as many people as possible. Then you have friends from your accommodation.

Ultimately Shaun, it's really about how much you sign up to. Some of my flat mates only have friends in our accommodation. They haven't made an effort in lectures to sit next to people, haven't signed up to sports/societies and just sleep all the time. So really it's an individual thing. But the University offer a lot and you should attempt to sign up to as much as possible!

Hope to see you next year!

Wow! Thank you so much for the extremely informed and detailed answer! That definitely sounds like I'd be getting the total experience at Chester. I really think I'd love it, and I think I'll be going to Chester. I just need to make one of the open days!
Wow! Thank you so much for the extremely informed and detailed answer! That definitely sounds like I'd be getting the total experience at Chester. I really think I'd love it, and I think I'll be going to Chester. I just need to make one of the open days!

No problem man! I'm also a student ambassador so if you do come to one of the applicant days I might see you! If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to message me on the student room or you can e-mail me on [email protected]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending