The Student Room Group

Retaking maths exams

So I got an A grade in AS Maths, but I'm reallyyyy struggling this year with both C3 and C4. I don't think I'll be able to get an A this year if it continues like this. My recent mocks have been D and U grades. I'm not sure whether or not to retake my C2 exam for which I got a high C (68 ums) in order to increase my chances of getting an A overall? I don't exactly want the added pressure of extra AS exams, but I need an A to get to university! What do you guys think? X
Well c2 is in the as exam period so is quite a bit earlier than c3&4 (c2 is 4 weeks earlier for edexcel) and is also probably before most of your other exams, so yeah it probably wouldn't be particularly detrimental to your other subjects to retake it, and it's easier to pick up ums on c2 than either c3 or 4
Reply 2
Original post by npstudent
So I got an A grade in AS Maths, but I'm reallyyyy struggling this year with both C3 and C4. I don't think I'll be able to get an A this year if it continues like this. My recent mocks have been D and U grades. I'm not sure whether or not to retake my C2 exam for which I got a high C (68 ums) in order to increase my chances of getting an A overall? I don't exactly want the added pressure of extra AS exams, but I need an A to get to university! What do you guys think? X

teachers know your strengths and weaknesses go to them for help I'm sure they will give you advice how to focus on your revision (especially topics you may find difficult). It is possible to go for the A grade, I guess do as much past papers as possible and make sure you understand the mistakes you make and go over specific topics that you feel you need improvement on. After your confident with that try going for some of the papers that include only hard questions (i.e. Solomon papers), but yeah effort is key if you want high grades, good luck and don't overwork yourself ; )
Reply 3
Original post by samb1234
Well c2 is in the as exam period so is quite a bit earlier than c3&4 (c2 is 4 weeks earlier for edexcel) and is also probably before most of your other exams, so yeah it probably wouldn't be particularly detrimental to your other subjects to retake it, and it's easier to pick up ums on c2 than either c3 or 4

Yes that's very true, I just checked and its on 25 May which isn't too bad
Reply 4
Original post by Maz A
teachers know your strengths and weaknesses go to them for help I'm sure they will give you advice how to focus on your revision (especially topics you may find difficult). It is possible to go for the A grade, I guess do as much past papers as possible and make sure you understand the mistakes you make and go over specific topics that you feel you need improvement on. After your confident with that try going for some of the papers that include only hard questions (i.e. Solomon papers), but yeah effort is key if you want high grades, good luck and don't overwork yourself ; )

Yes thank you! I'll definitely be nagging my teachers about it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest