The Student Room Group

Hospital work experience in Birmingham?!

I'm an AS student and am hoping to go into medicine, is it too late to apply to hospitals/gps/care homes now?
And does anyone know of any hospitals in Birmingham offering work experience for 16 year olds?
Original post by jiyongtoki
I'm an AS student and am hoping to go into medicine, is it too late to apply to hospitals/gps/care homes now?
And does anyone know of any hospitals in Birmingham offering work experience for 16 year olds?

Try Birmingham Children's Hospital. It's too late for Queen Elizabeth Hospital I believe, as they tend to be very oversubscribed.

If you can't do work exp at a hospital, contact all local GP surgeries ASAP as medicine work experience places go really quickly. Not as much competition for GP surgeries I think.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Peppercrunch
Try Birmingham Children's Hospital. It's too late for Queen Elizabeth Hospital and Selly Oak Hospital I believe, as they tend to be very oversubscribed.

If you can't do work exp at a hospital, contact all local GP surgeries ASAP as medicine work experience places go really quickly. Not as much competition for GP surgeries I think.

I'll start contacting GP's tomorrow! I applied to BCH but I didn't get a place. Do you know of any other hospitals which might offer it? thank you for replying :smile:
Try Birmingham Children's Hospital. It's too late for Queen Elizabeth Hospital and Selly Oak Hospital I believe, as they tend to be very oversubscribed.

Seeing as Selly Oak hospital closed in 2011 I'd agree they're a bit late :tongue:
I'll start contacting GP's tomorrow! I applied to BCH but I didn't get a place. Do you know of any other hospitals which might offer it? thank you for replying :smile:

I think Heartlands Hospital might be available. If you can travel, you could go to Dudley to work at the Russells Hall Hospital (depends on spaces) as I know they offer work experience.

http://www.heartofengland.nhs.uk/careers/work-experience/
They run both Heartlands and Solihull if you can get there. Might be better to call them instead of emailing them.

If you can travel, you could apply to hospitals in Warwickshire or Worcestershire etc.
Reply 5
I think Heartlands Hospital might be available. If you can travel, you could go to Dudley to work at the Russells Hall Hospital (depends on spaces) as I know they offer work experience.

http://www.heartofengland.nhs.uk/careers/work-experience/
They run both Heartlands and Solihull if you can get there. Might be better to call them instead of emailing them.

If you can travel, you could apply to hospitals in Warwickshire or Worcestershire etc.

I don't think I'll be able to travel too far but thank you so much for the link I just emailed them and I'll call the trust tomorrow afternoon!

Do you have any advice for applying to GPs? When I searched GPs near me I found about 10 in Kings Heath so I'm thinking of visiting them all to ask or would a call be enough?
I don't think I'll be able to travel too far but thank you so much for the link I just emailed them and I'll call the trust tomorrow afternoon!

Do you have any advice for applying to GPs? When I searched GPs near me I found about 10 in Kings Heath so I'm thinking of visiting them all to ask or would a call be enough?

One of my friends who applied for medicine went around and asked them by going up to the reception desks and enquiring about work experience. Asking them in person IMO will probably get them to respond quicker and have a better first impression of you.
If you don't have time, I think calling would be enough, but it'll probably be a slower response, or no response at all if you don't remind them (obviously be a bit patient).
Reply 7
One of my friends who applied for medicine went around and asked them by going up to the reception desks and enquiring about work experience. Asking them in person IMO will probably get them to respond quicker and have a better first impression of you.
If you don't have time, I think calling would be enough, but it'll probably be a slower response, or no response at all if you don't remind them (obviously be a bit patient).

Thank you for all your advice! I think I'll do that too, I'll start with my local GP and then I'll go to the reception desks of all the GPs I can find. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest